• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One more time on Kitchenaid mixers

polack

I purchased a Pro 600 a few months ago, and my comparisons are against an Electrolux that I owned, and a Global SP1 that I use every day...

I would rate the KA second to the Global, just on the value of torque. I do alot of bread, and pastry, and the Global won't slow down one bit, it is however $1100.00. IMO the KA beats the Electrolux hands down if you are used to the standard type of mixer. I had it for a few weeks, and no matter what, couldn't get the consistency I needed from batch to batch. It is quite possible that I was doing something wrong, but it is a mixer, and should be effortless. I too read all of the threads about how the lesser models would overheat, grind gears, and break down. I am completely happy with the KA Pro 600...

I read somewhere that the KA mixers nowadays (after the takeover by Whirpool) have plastic gears. However the Pro series 575 watt (not the 525 W) have all steel gears. I bought one about a year ago and it has never given me any trouble. Of course, only knead bread dough no higher than speed 2. I love my KA. I make meaner marshmallow too (I burnt 3 stand mixers prior to this!)

Edited by JustKay (log)

I purchased a Pro 600 a few months ago, and my comparisons are against an Electrolux that I owned, and a Global SP1 that I use every day...

I would rate the KA second to the Global, just on the value of torque. I do alot of bread, and pastry, and the Global won't slow down one bit, it is however $1100.00. IMO the KA beats the Electrolux hands down if you are used to the standard type of mixer. I had it for a few weeks, and no matter what, couldn't get the consistency I needed from batch to batch. It is quite possible that I was doing something wrong, but it is a mixer, and should be effortless. I too read all of the threads about how the lesser models would overheat, grind gears, and break down. I am completely happy with the KA Pro 600...

Tannerz,

Do you have a link for the Global? I googled and couldn't find anything on it. I've often thought that if I bought a second mixer, it would be one that is large and sturdy enough for big batches of bread dough.

Ilene

I crave a KA, as well, but in Japan the cheapest I've found is about Y82,000 (C$820-ish, US$700-ish) for the 225W, 4.3L model, and Y132000 (C$1320, US$1100) for a 250W, 4.8L one.  A bit pricey for my pocketbook, and pleas to my employers to buy me one have fallen upon deaf ears (for some reason, they always think I'm joking...).

Isn't Japanese and American voltage and frequency the same?

I bought mine brand new off eBay and I even got to claim the KA promotion for a free ice-cream maker.

But I have to use a step-down transformer though because we run on 220V here in my country.

upon more searching.. here is some better info.. it is a Globe SP8, not a 1.. here is one link..

http://www.restaurantsource.com/prodDetail...01%204%20HP,MX1

if I had the funds I would buy it. We use these at school, during the bread class it gets used for 3 or 4 batches, a few pounds each batch, for 2 or 3 classes each day for 3 weeks straight. Never had them overheat, no torgue issues, and a great design.

Edited by tannerz (log)

Isn't Japanese and American voltage and frequency the same?

But I have to use a step-down transformer though because we run on 220V here in my country.

Japanese voltage is 100V, North America is 120V. Frequency is not an issue, but a 120V mixer would probably run slightly slow if used in Japan without a transformer.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

That doesn't surprise me, but couldn't you pick up one in Canada for ~CA$270+ taxes and run it off a voltage converter? A 300W step up converter is only US$30 or so and I'm sure you could purchase a similar model to the one below in Japan. Of course, this is assuming that you can bring it to Japan yourself.

I've considered doing just that. My only concern would be weight--I'd have to haul the thing here and then send (or bring) it back myself (I have just over one year, maybe two, left on my contract). I've really been hoping my employers would splurge on one for me, but since they wouldn't even replace a Y20 000 VCR/DVD player, I think there's little chance of it.

Oh well. I can just dream, and live vicariously!

Ling, if you're not going to make huge quantities, I'd suggest the tilt-head Kitchenaid mixer, which I personally think is much easier/convenient to use than the bowl-lift mixer, especially for baking since we put in ingredients one after the other... Less messy for the hands too since you just tilt the head back and don't have to dig in and twist for the paddle/whisk like I have to do with the bowl-lift one.

However, since I wasn't the one who bought our mixer here at home, we have the 5-quart bowl-lift Kitchenaid which I have grown to love... Although I was really annoyed during the first dozen times I was using it. Hehe...

Sorry that's my only recommendations since they're the only ones I have experienced using.

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

Ling, if you're not going to make huge quantities, I'd suggest the tilt-head Kitchenaid mixer, which I personally think is much easier/convenient to use than the bowl-lift mixer, especially for baking since we put in ingredients one after the other... Less messy for the hands too since you just tilt the head back and don't have to dig in and twist for the paddle/whisk like I have to do with the bowl-lift one.

However, since I wasn't the one who bought our mixer here at home, we have the 5-quart bowl-lift Kitchenaid which I have grown to love... Although I was really annoyed during the first dozen times I was using it. Hehe...

Sorry that's my only recommendations since they're the only ones I have experienced using.

I have found the pouring shield to be very useful when adding ingredients to the bowl-lift mixer. I've never used the tilt head, but I can see why it would be convenient.

Ilene

I have found the pouring shield to be very useful when adding ingredients to the bowl-lift mixer. I've never used the tilt head, but I can see why it would be convenient.

That's great especially for huge liquid batters, but when pouring in wet ingredients using my big stainless bowl, I'm afraid it still "encourages" a lot of spills and powdery dust in the air. I wonder if I can get that here in the Philippines...

Thanks Beanie!

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

I've a KA.

What I want to know is, is getting a second mixing bowl for it worth it?

Right now, I have one, and when a recipe requires whipping whites as well at creaming butter, I've to choose between creaming butter by hand, or whipping whites by hand.

Though, 95SGD is OUCH!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

ABSOLUTELY! I've had my second bowl for a year and it's been great. I'm more inclined to get the KA out of the pantry to use it at all when I know the process will be uninterrupted by the need to wash a bowl or get the hand mixer out.

I got the splash shield at the same time and can't be bothered to use it at all--it's fussy, and I just don't see that it accomplishes enough to make it worthwhile to fuss with it.

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I have two KAs - one that is about 20 years old (5 qt) and one that I bought a few months ago (6 qt). I have two bowls and flat beaters for both of them, and 2 wire beaters for the older one. During my Christmas cookie baking madness I was really sorry I didn't get the extra wire beater for the new one.

Ling, I bake nearly every day because I develop dessert recipes for restaurants and businesses. I have never had a problem with my older KA, and haven't had any problems yet with my new one. I have other friends in the food business who also have 6 qt models, and that is why I bought one for myself - they were very happy with theirs.

Perhaps any problems that occurred in the past have been resolved.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

One more thing - the splash guard. I find that, even with the splash guard, annoyingly messy flour and/or cocoa dust still gets sprayed all over my pots and pans, which hang over the island where I mix recipes. So I throw a towel over the mixer when adding dry ingredients. I use the splash guard primarily if I'm being lazy and doubling a recipe that really doesn't fit well in the bowl.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

One more thing - the splash guard. I find that, even with the splash guard, annoyingly messy flour and/or cocoa dust still gets sprayed all over my pots and pans, which hang over the island where I mix recipes. So I throw a towel over the mixer when adding dry ingredients. I use the splash guard primarily if I'm being lazy and doubling a recipe that really doesn't fit well in the bowl.

I use it mostly for pouring liquid ingredients into the mixer slowly and it works well for this application.

Ilene

ling,

i don't think they have macy's in canada, but can you purchase from their web-site? i know the exchange isn't terribly favorable, but when things go on sale at macy's you can get really good deals. i got both of my ka's from macy's and both times i got the free bowl as a special offer. this was years apart, so they do this reasonably often (i think you have to wait for a convergence of the stars for ka to offer a rebate and the item to go on sale at macy's...but it does happen).

just a thought. if you can't buy from macy's then i'm sorry. can't you make a trip to the states?! hehehe just to buy the ka of course.

I've a KA.

It's definitely worth the small investment. I got mine on eBay shortly after buying the mixer itself. Even though I use the second bowl only occasionally, I'm very glad it's there when I need it.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm pulling up an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with the Kitchenaid Pro 6 mixer. I'm trying to decide on a standmixer right now, something that will definitely last a lifetime. I like the look of the Kitchenaid mixers the best, but I'm also considering the Delongi one. I'd like to pay no more than $600 Cdn, if possible. Thanks!

I have the KitchenAid professional 6 quart mixer bought in 2003. It cost $369 at amazon.com. There was also a rebate where I could get a free attachment if you send in the UPC code, receipt and a filled out form. I got the slicer/shredder attachment.

I haven't had any major problems with it but on a few occasions I'd turn the mixer on and it wouldn't start right away. So I'd have to switch it back to off and start it again.

But overall it's worked fine.

I don't use it to make bread dough though so I don't know if it would hold up to that.

I also have a 4 1/2 quart KA bought for me in 1991. I don't use it as often as I used to. But it's still in good working condition, has never broken down on me and I even once used it to make the batter and icing for a 350 guest wedding cake. :)

Edited by Kris (log)

Similar to Sandra I purchased my K45 in 1978, it has a tag inside marked 11878, and as I have reported, it works hard, and still goes strong.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.