• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Scones

My mom and I are unable to buy potato scones this year as all of the British bakers in Vancouver have retired. Since these are part of our traditional Christmas Breakfast, we're going to make them. Does anyone have an old family recipe they would like to share?

Help me save Christmas morning.

Do you mean scones - an inch or so thick, usually round, or farls, which are flatter and triangular or pie wedge shape, and more pancake like?Bacon leek and potato scones

Same recipe, but without the bacon, but split with creme fraiche and marinated Orkeny herring, as an amuse.

gallery_7620_135_1103677135.jpg

A farl would be more like 1 cup flour (6oz) to a pound of mashed potato, and a thick batter or rolled into a thin round that is cooked on a griddle lke a pancake, maybe 6 to 9 inches diameter, then cut into quarters.

Scottish potato scones are about 1/4 inch thick and are shaped like farls.

Both the recipes look similar to the way we made them when I was growing up, although more often we bought them from the baker.

The scones should be cooked until they're a fairly dark brown.

Delicious thickly spread with butter or fried in bacon fat.

One of those light and healthy Scottish delicacies....

These are exactly the recipes I thought and was hoping I would find. My grandma used to just make them but of course, she never wrote anything down for my mom and I to keep after she was gone, so all we could remember: Mashed tatties and flour. I could just see us on Christmas morning trying to get the right proportions and consistency. I don't think it would be pretty. Thank you all.

Oh and I guess it would be something like a farl. They are thin and fried on a griddle with lots of butter. Scottish Health Food. :raz:

Edited by peppyre (log)

These are exactly the recipes I thought and was hoping I would find.  My grandma used to just make them but of course, she never wrote anything down for my mom and I to keep after she was gone, so all we could remember: Mashed tatties and flour.  I could just see us on Christmas morning trying to get the right proportions and consistency.  I don't think it would be pretty.  Thank you all.

Oh and I guess it would be something like a farl.  They are thin and fried on a griddle with lots of butter.  Scottish Health Food.  :raz:

In that case you are looking for this:

Potato Farl