• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mel Krupin

Joe H

Mel Krupin, I think, opened his deli in the early '80's or so. DC's big deal deli was Hofberg's at Georgia and Eastern which closed sometime in the '70's or so. Another Hofberg's opened near Randolph and Nicholson but it was only a shade of the original. Hofberg's is an legitimate DC landmark still missed by me.

Sorry, but the only Westchester I know is the apartment building near AU.

I really don't remember the Family Fish House.

Tunnicliff's I remember from the '80's; it may have been there before.

Duke Zeibert's?

Edited to add that I realize Duke's has been defunct for a long time, but I mention it in this thread to see if anyone has any reminisces of interest -- remember Larry King always ended up there after his radio talk show ended in the 70s.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Wasn't Krupin's deli around forever?

No, Nadya, dear,

Mel Krupin was the maitre 'd for many years at Paul Young's on Connecticut Avenue and then Duke Ziebert's almost until it closed. The deli opened after he left there.

Mark's right...sorry, got confused between Krupin reincarnations.

Resident Twizzlebum

Wasn't Krupin's deli around forever?

No, Nadya, dear,

Mel Krupin was the maitre 'd for many years at Paul Young's on Connecticut Avenue and then Duke Ziebert's almost until it closed. The deli opened after he left there.

Mark's right...sorry, got confused between Krupin reincarnations.

There was another Krupin incarnation, Mel Krupin's, between Duke Zeibert's and Krupin's Deli.

The Washington Post had an interesting Weekly Dish feature about Mel Krupin in October.

I had a corned beef sandwich for lunch at Krupins a couple of months ago and it was just terrible - perhaps it's a good thing it's renamed to "K's Deli" in order to protect his formidable legacy.

Yes, Larry King used to chirp that he was going over to Duke Zeibert's after his show - he'd then play this tune as sung by Louis Armstrong:

Baby! Take me down to Duke's place

Wildest box in town is Duke's place

Love that piano sound in Duke's place

Saxes do their tricks in Duke's place

Fellas Swing their chicks in Duke's place

Come on get your kicks in Duke's place

You find yourself a seat

And when you wanna eat,

You look around and yell,

"Waiter!"

You fill your cup chock full of dreams

And drink it up,

You're jetting along with your girlie

It's after three o'clock

But, baby, it's early!

If you've never been to Duke's place

Take your tootsies into Duke's place

Life is in a spin in Duke's place

(Music by Duke Ellington. Lyrics by Bill Katz and Robert Thiele)

I worked across the lobby from the "New" Duke's -- in the new office building they put up on top of the site of the original Dukes -- and used to stop in for a drink every now and then. My fondest memory is the two Lombardi Trophies the Redskins had won, on display in a glass case in the entryway. The food was never that great there, but they poured a nice drink and, as a long-time Washingtonian -- I liked seeing those trophies. I wonder where they are now....

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

The Washington Post had an interesting Weekly Dish feature about Mel Krupin in October.

I had a corned beef sandwich for lunch at Krupins a couple of months ago and it was just terrible - perhaps it's a good thing it's renamed to "K's Deli" in order to protect his formidable legacy.

Yes, Larry King used to chirp that he was going over to Duke Zeibert's after his show - he'd then play this tune as sung by Louis Armstrong:

Baby! Take me down to Duke's place

Wildest box in town is Duke's place

Love that piano sound in Duke's place

Saxes do their tricks in Duke's place

Fellas Swing their chicks in Duke's place

Come on get your kicks in Duke's place

You find yourself a seat

And when you wanna eat,

You look around and yell,

"Waiter!"

You fill your cup chock full of dreams

And drink it up,

You're jetting along with your girlie

It's after three o'clock

But, baby, it's early!

If you've never been to Duke's place

Take your tootsies into Duke's place

Life is in a spin in Duke's place

(Music by Duke Ellington. Lyrics by Bill Katz and Robert Thiele)

Yeah, I always figured Larry was getting comped for the free advertizing -- not that Duke needed it. Crabcakes anybody? :laugh:

Edited to add that I went to school with Bob Thiele's son -- didn't realize that was his Dad's work. Bob Sr. was a noted Jazz producer.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode