• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crab Cakes

taryn

If you want to try something a bit different, I would go with asian-inspired mayonnaise-based toppings.

blend of Sriracha/Lime Juice/Mayo/salt/pepper

Blend of Wasabi (real wasabi paste if you can get it, like from Pacific Farms) / Dijon Mustard and Mayo/ salt and pepper and lemon juice to taste.

Lemongrass/Cilantro/Galangal (or ginger)/asian basil/green chile/mayo/salt/pepper

You could do all 3 and it would be totally wild.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'll second and third the previous suggestions for remoulade. It's the classic. Just be sure to use lots of capers and keep the sauce nice and spicy.

A slaw of your choice (given the spicyness of the remoulade, I'd keep it tame) and a corn and tomato salad would be ideal accompaniments.

And don't forget the Riesling. Or a summer ale.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 5 months later...

Tonight I made Wolfgang Puck's "Bite Sized crab cakes with sweet red pepper sauce." They were quite good (especially the sauce) -- BUT -- the bread crumb/ground almond coating burned quite badly. (Medium heat in a cast iron skillet for 3 minutes) We've had a similar experience with nut-covering on chicken and discovered that by just slightly browning the nut-covered chicken first in a skillet and then transferring it to a high over for 10 minutes, we have success -- Yummy nuts w/o the burining and moist chicken.

I'm going to try this with these crab cakes next time, but does anyone have a suggestion about how long to cook them in the oven and at what temperature? I'll adjust as I get experience.

Thanks much!

Sidecar Ron

Edited by RonC (log)

Tonight I made Wolfgang Puck's "Bite Sized crab cakes with sweet red pepper sauce." They were quite good (especially the sauce) -- BUT -- the bread crumb/ground almond coating burned quite badly. (Medium heat in a cast iron skillet for 3 minutes) We've had a similar experience with nut-covering on chicken and discovered that by just slightly browning the nut-covered chicken first in a skillet and then transferring it to a high over for 10 minutes, we have success -- Yummy nuts w/o the burining and moist chicken.

I'm going to try this with these crab cakes next time, but does anyone have a suggestion about how long to cook them  in the oven and at what temperature? I'll adjust as I get experience.

Thanks much!

Sidecar Ron

I alkways make sure that my crab mixture is at room temperature (only slightly cool etc) before I put the cakes into a pan or oven.

I never follow cooking times exactly from recipes--oven temps vary so much.

My suggestion is that you eyeball em and remove from oven or pan when they "look" done.

Scuba, that's kinda what I thought. I'll just get a nice crust in my iron skillet and then put them in the oven for a few minutes.

Thanks,

Sidecar Ron

Turn down the heat?

Seriously the crab is already cooked so you are really warming them and trying to get a good crust.  I often brown on both sides and then pop into a hot oven for 5-10 min to warm through.

DT, to a large degree, we agree with you! Usually our crab cakes are VERY simple and basic since we truly like the taste of crab, but on those VERY RARE occasions when we'd like something a "little different" I've been known to taint that great taste with a wee bit of other ingredients.

Sidecar Ron

I'm from Maryland.  We'd say, what do you want nuts on your crab cake for anyway? :biggrin:

Make a simple sauce by roasting, skinning and chopping jalapenos and then heating them in some heavy cream. Make thin, crispy corn cakes, put the crabcake on top, top with the cream (open face crab sammich!). Serve with fresh succotash and a microgreen salad with a really tangy lemon based dressing. Wow. I am hungry now!

does anyone have a recipe for crab cakes they recommend? we finally had our crab fest last night & i want to make cakes w/ the leftovers.

thanks for any help!!

Yes, I do. Give me a few moments to see if I can find the recipe I'm thinking about in amongst my unorganization which exists at the moment. I bought a new file cabinet, and I'm in the middle of cleaning out drawers and closets! :shock::wacko:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

does anyone have a recipe for crab cakes they recommend? we finally had our crab fest last night & i want to make cakes w/ the leftovers.

thanks for any help!!

Sorry for the delay... I found the recipe on paper, and then luckily (to save me from having to type it), I found the recipe online. I lived on the Eastern Shore of Delmarva my whole life before moving to Florida, and considered myself well able to make a fine crab cake; however, this recipe beat all: Eastern Shore Crab Cakes, by Linda Beaulieu from Cooking.com. The Sweet Corn and Onion Relish is really good, too.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Saffron aioli is great with crabcakes!

That's what I was going to suggest.

The restaurant where I work does Spanish tapas, and we serve Saffron aioli on the side of the Tortilla Espanola, a potato and egg frittata. But that sauce is begging for some crab cakes to get slathered on!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Cant believe that noone has mentioned this yet...

Personally I am not a fan of anything Mayo, let alone with seafood (uck) so I tend to make some type of salsa...

Usually Mango/Lime/chili/cilantro/roasted peppers or something of that nature...

You can substitute the mango for pinapple as well.

Bumping this thread has me hungry for crab cakes now. Unfortunatly crab meat is hard to come by around here as the industry was pretty blown away. I can get crabs, they've been running heavy, but I HATE picking crab meat. I may do these shrimp cakes, if interested the chipolte sauce is GREAT and would be beautiful with crab cakes as well. The slaw is good too.

• 1 year later...

I've used homemade mayonnaise - it really makes an enormous difference and has a shockingly different (better) flavor than anything off-the-shelf.

On a more humorous note (but it would work!), what about transglutaminase? (See the article about 'meat glue' for more.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I would never put mayonaise ON anything

but there are some things it belongs IN...

its just the way those things are made

daughter just came back from a crabcake trip down the DelMarVa

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association