• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frango Chocolates

Swankalicious

They have quite a cult following..My sister has to bring them back to Wilmington everytime she comes home from Chicago.

http://www.fields.com/common/fl_frango.jsp

Here is the website, perhaps you can order for expedited delivery?? Fields has wonderful customer service and if I can deliver a pleading overnight, why cannot chocolates be sent pronto as well?? :biggrin:

Edited for grammer, or lack thereof.

Edited by shelly59 (log)

Frango's were first created and sold by Fredrick and Nelson department stores in WA state. Then it was purchased by Federated and the Bon Marche took over the chocolate sales when F&N went TU. Now Macy's has their name on the Bon and so Macy's sells them.

Do the Macy's back east sell them? Can they have a few transferred from the Seattle store??

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Actually, I swear I saw them at either a Hecht's or a Macy's not that long ago. I'd try calling around to the department stores.

For those that have had both, how do these compare to Kron's truffles at Mazza Gallerie? I've never had the same sensation from any other chocolate (and I'm a chocoholic).

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Kron is excellent and superior to Frango, also much more expensive. There are many chocolates IN Belgium that are superior to Kron; an argument could be made for any of three or four stores in Brugges where the chocolate is made IN the store (i.e. The Chocolate Line) that this is as good as one could ever have anywhere.

I think the Frango thing is hardwired in those of us who grew up in the shadow of the "lake effect." I love them, but only the original flavour. I never went in for orange, almond, etc.

This year they were offering samples of a peppermint flavor that smelled very good. I didn't go so far as to eat one. They use good (albeit very strong) flavorings but the texture of the chocolate is strange, to me. Waxy, I think.