• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chaucer's

mrbigjas

that's kind of a bummer. going for cheap drinks tonight in the neighborhood and we've been to doobies like the last five times. i guess grace could work, although the beer isn't exactly cheap there; same with ten stone. hm....... maybe we'll check out chaucer's anyway and i'll report back.

that's kind of a bummer.  going for cheap drinks tonight in the neighborhood and we've been to doobies like the last five times.  i guess grace could work, although the beer isn't exactly cheap there; same with ten stone.  hm....... maybe we'll check out chaucer's anyway and i'll report back.

I've never been to Doobie's! Is it cool? Mellow? Do they serve food?

Thanks!

chaucer's is nice. no cheap beer on tap, by which i mean: no lager. flying fish abbey dubbel is $4.75, which ain't cheap, but during happy hour (which is till 7) it's a buck off, so it's $3.75, which is reasonable. we didn't have food, because we were there before dinnertime (for me, anyway). there was a little issue where dude was polishing the tap thingy with brasso for about the first 45 minutes we were there, but it's really not important enough to worry about--it just gave the beer a little note of... well, brasso.

not real crowded; not real empty. basically, about what i remember it being after work on a tuesday. there was a different feel to it, though. maybe the different crew of employees was the difference.

that guy who used to stand in there at happy hour and drink like 15 ponies of rock and stare at everyone wasn't there, though.

Yea, I think the cheapest around there would be TenStone's Yuengling @ $3.

South Street Blues isn't open anymore, right?

There's a old man bar/sorta neighborhood bar at like 26th and South.

I think there's one a few doors away from Grace, also.

Lessee, other than that, obviously you've got Tritone.

There's that bar on the east side of 15th just below South St.

mrbigjas, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

lager was $3 when ten stone opened; they soon realized they could charge $3.75 like everyone else, and now it's not cheap anymore. still have great burgers and fries, though, and it's not expensive per se, just not cheap.

south street blues is closed.

that bar at 26th & south is one of the few bars i've ever been in where i've nearly gotten my ass kicked just for being there. but that was like 10 years ago.

peter, doobies is a dirty smoky bar, with cheap beer, wobbly tables, and the same people working there for at least 10 years, and one guy more like 15. they don't have a fryer, so a lot of the usual bar food isn't available, but the food is OK and everything is cheap. and they allow dogs in the bar. it's a wonderful place that should be patronized at all costs. one recommendation: leave time for a shower when you get home. your hair will smell like someone dumped a full ashtray on a griddle after an evening at doobies--it's enough to wake you up in the middle of the night if you're not hammered.

tritone has good food and is ridiculously cheap, but if you go too late, there's a band playing and a cover, which some people might object to.