• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Chain restaurants

YKL

We took the kids up to London between Christmas and the New Year and, as Bodeans was closed for lunch, we ended up in Nandos in Frith Street. A very good meal, clean premises and efficient service all for about 35 quid.

(As a reasonably interesting aside, I can confirm that Aladdin at The Old Vic is the gourmet's panto of choice this year. By an odd coincidence, Fergus Henderson and family were sitting in the same row as us on the night we went.)

Yep, Pizza express always a safe bet. Loch fyne at least gives the option of fairly decent seafood in a provincial town.

Couple of others -there is a mini chain near me called Poppadum express http://www.poppadomexpress.co.uk/ - trendified indian, but not bad, and quite good fun.

One I had hopes for is a chain called Prezzo, which is spreading frighteningly fast - they do pizzas, a few baked pasta type dishes and rotisserie chicken (which you can share). But it's shit. sorry. A good rotisserie chain would be great.

Ken Hom's yellow river cafes aren't too bad - fast service, varied menu and most of the dishes are a cut above the anglicised watered down offerings you normally get.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

One I had hopes for is a chain called Prezzo, which is spreading frighteningly fast - they do pizzas, a few baked pasta type dishes and rotisserie chicken (which you can share). But it's shit. sorry.

no great suprise unfortunately

prezzo from the same family (the kayes) that started deep pan pizza ( well, city centre restuarants- also fankie & benny's/cafe uno/chiquitos/est,est ,est) and ask central (ask = adam and simon kaye)

interestingly (or not) nandos/pizza express/ask all owned by the same people now.

and city centre were the under bidder for ask.

go on - test me on restaurant trivia :wink:

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

hmmm.. alan yau's busaba eathai i think is a excellent thai chain or will be ;)

another london chain is maroush and ranoush admittedly its only kebabs but good ones. Belgo is fun too.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

• 6 months later...
One I had hopes for is a chain called Prezzo, which is spreading frighteningly fast - they do pizzas, a few baked pasta type dishes and rotisserie chicken (which you can share). But it's shit. sorry.

no great suprise unfortunately

prezzo from the same family (the kayes) that started deep pan pizza ( well, city centre restuarants- also fankie & benny's/cafe uno/chiquitos/est,est ,est) and ask central (ask = adam and simon kaye)

gary

Just come back from a team lunch at Prezzo - pretty much as you would expect, apart from I had a salad nicoise (Had pizza last night so didn't fancy another - although it was anchovies again!). Shock horror, the tomatoes were actually pretty decent - ripe, and flavoursome - It shouldn't be a suprise, it is almost august, but in a UK chain restaurant, very unusual. (Bad tuna though!)

Edited by Carlovski (log)

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Guess I'm the only one with a dodgy love of Pizza Hut deep pan? Surely the most greasily comforting and consistently flavoured fast food this side of fish'n'chips.

I would admit to always ordering the bbq sauce version, but I've probably blown all credibility already.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

Guess I'm the only one with a dodgy love of Pizza Hut deep pan? Surely the most greasily comforting and consistently flavoured fast food this side of fish'n'chips.

I would admit to always ordering the bbq sauce version, but I've probably blown all credibility already.

unleash the hounds..... :raz:

I love animals.

They are delicious.