• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating in Mumbai (Bombay)

Benedict Jenks

Suvir,

I've just stumbled on this thread. What a wonderful series of posts. And a very nice web site.

Thanks for being here.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

This is amazing :) I take a double miles run and there is a big disussion on Mumbai, a city I grew up till my youth.

Some comments though:

Indian Chinese in Mumbai ? Does not exist. Nearly every restaurant in the last decade or so makes Chinese - or  what they think is Chinese. The distinct Indian Chinese existed in my early Youth in Calcutta, or current Kolkatta. The only city that had/has a Chinatown. Was is spicy ? No, more like a fusion of ChiuChow and Cantonese style.

Specifically, a passably good Chinese restaurnat in BOM (based on my last two visits to BOM) is in Holiday Inn, Juhu Beach. The second, again in a 5star hotel in Bandra called Regent.

The last trip to BOM, I had a very good meal at Trishna in Kalaghoda near the Stock-exchange. This is known for its seafood.

IN general get invited by Indians who have membership to Clubs where good meals are had in the dining room - Breach Candy, NSCI, Juhu Club ........

There are a few restaurants - holdovers from era gone by --

Purohits,Aaram for Gujurati-style thali's.

You could get good kababs in Mahim, an Irani Restaurant off Crawford Market for Biryani and beer :)

anil

More general comments on food in BOM (Mumbai)

1. Avoid non-bottled water if you have been away from the

country. Bottled water should be fine. Drink sode,beer or   drink without ice.

2.  Mumbai is know for its comfort food on the run -- Paw   Bhaji (meaning bun and veggie). There are literally hundred of stalls in Downtown Mumbai in Churchgate,VT and near Colaba.

Some of the best eating splurges and variety can still be found at weddings. A Parsi wedding invite is a time to enjoy the rare spread of parsi dishes.

Mumbai has thousands of Udipi (south indian) restaurants. These are super efficient in handling lunch-style thalis, dosas, and usual SI fare.

Tea, cups and cups of it seems to be consumed at all times of the day by indians everyday.

Just like HKG, BOM has best chefs associated with either 5Star hotels or Clubs. Very few of the old colonial era restaurants, run by generations of same family survive -- Of those existing, a few of the signature dishes still attract folks from far and wide.

All imported alcohol is awfully expensive; So try indian whiskys,rums and beer.

Finally, the executive dining room of a few Corporate companies are also worthwhile - AirIndia used to be good, now I hear it to be down. IndianExpress Towers had a great vegetarian kitchen.

anil

• 1 year later...
I'm surprised that this thread doesn't die -- Just like the terrible new Bond flick  :angry:

Mumbai, for better-or-worse - On the upscale restaurant-scene seems to be going down......

Why do you say that Anil?

I had a great, GREAT meal at Khyber and also a wonderful meal at Indigo.

Indigo was also very beautiful. The golden fresh marigolds in the indigo tiled water bath were sensational to the eyes, the food was exciting.. and certainly a big step forward...

Have you gone to Indigo?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm surprised that this thread doesn't die -- Just like the terrible new Bond flick  :angry:

Mumbai, for better-or-worse - On the upscale restaurant-scene seems to be going down......

Why do you say that Anil?

I had a great, GREAT meal at Khyber and also a wonderful meal at Indigo.

Indigo was also very beautiful. The golden fresh marigolds in the indigo tiled water bath were sensational to the eyes, the food was exciting.. and certainly a big step forward...

Have you gone to Indigo?

No, I've not been to Indigo - About upscale-restaurants - In my youth, the prolifiration of non-indian restaurants was not there and if there were it was spread-out. The first time I went back, 14 years later ( I was in Banvaas so to speak) the city as flooded with cheap {Thai,Chinese,Pizza....} A few decent restaurants had added chinese to their menu - Horror show was our Gymhana had gotten into the scene..... Now I do an annual visit, whereby I get to hav at least few meals outside of {people's homes,old clubs/Gymkhana}

I'll update my state of Mumbai and Dilli around the Presidents Day holidays when I normally take time off work; But first we'll see what's new in Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo :raz:

anil