• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paella in SF?

saml314

Don't know about best, but I've had paella at B44, which should have been excellent but was overcooked, dried out and gummy by the time it came from the kitchen. Both times. Surely it's not like that all the time there?

When Zarzuela on Hyde first opened, I had a wonderful, near-perfect paella there, but a second visit to impress a friend (naturally) it came out dry and disappointing. It's probably worth going back though.

• 5 weeks later...
What would be best place for paella in the bay area?  I'm looking to take a couple friends.

I had Paella at a Spanish restaurant on Lombard Street a few blocks south of Van Ness. If you turn left from Van Ness onto Lombard it's on the right side of the street. The place is owned by a very charming Spanish lady. It was ean enjoyable meal.

I cannot remember what it was called, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

What would be best place for paella in the bay area?  I'm looking to take a couple friends.

I had Paella at a Spanish restaurant on Lombard Street a few blocks south of Van Ness. If you turn left from Van Ness onto Lombard it's on the right side of the street. The place is owned by a very charming Spanish lady. It was ean enjoyable meal.

I cannot remember what it was called, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.

The restaurant is Alegrias. We've been going there for years and love it.

The restaurant is Alegrias.  We've been going there for years and love it.

I was looking at the menu. Do you have a favorite of any of the three paellas? As someone who has eaten at this restuarant over the years, do you have any other favorites? Anything to avoid? How's the sangria?

We ordered the Paella a la Valenciana . It's a warm, friendly place. I can't say enough about the owner/hostess. My wife and I took our kids as well. In LA my favorite place for Paella was Chaya Brasserie in Venice. But I haven't been in years so I don't know what's on the menu anymore.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I was looking at the menu. Do you have a favorite of any of the three paellas? As someone who has eaten at this restuarant over the years, do you have any other favorites? Anything to avoid? How's the sangria?

Oddly enough, I'm not a huge paella fan, and hubby doesn't eat shellfish, so we rarely have paella there, even thought that's what just about every other table always seems to order! I have tried and do like their Paella Valenciana, but primarly what we go there for, and what we really love, are their tapas and other entrees. Favorite tapas include the empanadillas (perfectly crispy dough and delicious filling), the espinacas (great combination of flavors), and whatever the daily specials are. A couple of tapa specials that we always order when offered are the crabcakes and the piquillo peppers stuffed with lamb. Both are divine.

Our favorite entrees are the solomillo (pork tenderloin in a great sherry sauce) and the perfectly prepared chuletillas (lamb chops). The rabbit stew is very good, too. Entree portions are very generous.

Favorite desserts are the arroz con leche and the panqueque de dulce de leche.

The only beverage we ever order there is the sangria. It's very good. Actually, we do order cortados (espresso w/a touch of milk) after dinner, and they are very well made, too.

The only things that I've tried and haven't been thrilled about are a couple of the tapas: croquettes (insides were a little too mushy and bland for me, but then again I'm used to a Cuban version that is different) and manchego flambee (the alcohol seemed to overpower the cheese). I also found the chicken and steak entrees to be a little boring, but my nephews, who are reluctant to try unfamiliar or exotic things, loved them.

It's a warm, friendly place. I can't say enough about the owner/hostess. 

I couldn't agree more. We've gotten to know the owners over the years (dad is the chef, mom runs the dining room, both adult kids work in the front of house), and we're treated like members of their family whenver we're there. These days it's more of a hassle for us to get to the restaurant, and so we don't go as often as we'd like, but the consistently good food and warm, welcoming atmosphere always draw us back.