• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Sharpening near Boston

slbunge

I used to go to the old Stoddard's downtown. There's still one near the Pru and in Chestnut Hill.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Wow. Thanks. I've been in KitchenArts and it should have occured to me that they could do it. Never heard of Stoddard's, will check them out as well.

Now...I think I'll wait until after the holidays because I don't want to be down a chef's knife during this season.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Wow.  Thanks.  I've been in KitchenArts and it should have occured to me that they could do it.  Never heard of Stoddard's, will check them out as well.

Now...I think I'll wait until after the holidays because I don't want to be down a chef's knife during this season.

You should call Connolly's, then. They can usually turn them around in a day...Actually, you might be surprised, Kitchen Arts may do that too...

I just brought a few knives to KitchenArts and they did a great job- dropped them off on Thursday afternoon and they were ready the next day. Price was $8 for 2 - 10 inch chef's knives and a paring knife.

I may have to consider this. I called Stoddard's last week and they said 7-10 days. What! I can't live that long without my chef's knife!

• 8 months later...

Siraco's Sharpening Service

533 Medford St

Somerville, MA 02145-2656

Phone: (617) 628-6071

...from switchboard.com

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I just want to say that, here in Providence where there seems to be not a single decent sharpener around, I took a deep breath and bought an Edge Pro system, and now I do my own and love doing it. I also love that I've paid off the $120 price already: instead of sending my babies off to a moron to destroy them for $30-40, I have learned how to gently coax them into a sharpness that I could never get before.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 1 month later...
I just brought a few knives to KitchenArts and they did a great job- dropped them off on Thursday afternoon and they were ready the next day. Price was $8 for 2 - 10 inch chef's knives and a paring knife.

I may have to consider this. I called Stoddard's last week and they said 7-10 days. What! I can't live that long without my chef's knife!

Rethink Stoddard's. Yeah it's a long time... (I have two chef's knives so I can alternate)... but they do it by hand, it's $6 / knife, and it comes back WICKED sharp. It was like falling in love all over again.

Shaun Chavis

• 1 year later...

Hey NESteve, I'm in Plymouth, but theguys who do my knives are all over the SE area. I'll get their # for you. They pick up and drop off, so they may leave you with a lesser than your own quality , but still sharp set of knives.

• 3 weeks later...
Stoddard's in Copley was still there about six months ago.  I don't think they do sharpening, but they sell stones.

I was there a few weeks ago (perhaps 3) and I think stoddard's is now a store that sells crystal. They do sharpenings as well as sell sharpening stones. I believe the knife sharpening is around $20.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

If you have quality knives, this guy outside Philadelphia is the ONLY place to send them. He does mail service and will hand sharpen your knives on waterstones should you so request. Unless you have a Murray Carter knife, I'll assure you the knife will come back sharper than new, and probably last longer.

You can reach Dave at http://drsharpening.com/

Edited by UnConundrum (log)