• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Vietnamese and Indian Restaurants

ots

Hi. Heading to NOVA a couple of times over the next few weeks to catch up with friends. We're interested in good Vietnamese and Indian. From the Washingtonian that I checked out from my local library, it looks like Four Sisters at the Eden Center and Raaga are good choices.

I live in Caroline County, Maryland, a wasteland when it comes to ethnic food of any kind. So, I'd like to maximize my enjoyment only getting Vietnamese once or twice a year.

There is a decent Indian joint I go to in Dover that I am worried will become endangered unless someone besides me goes.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

The best Indian in the DC area is in DC at Heritage of India on Wisconsin Avenue near Calvert. They also have a restaurant near Dupont Circle. In Northern VA, where I live, we drive into DC and go there. Failing that, there are a half dozen places all decent to more than decent but nothing on the level of Heritage of India.

I would mention in this thread that there is a GREAT Persian restaurant in the Tyson's area called Shamshiry that would be well worth your while along with the other mention of the Eden Center. Additionally, there is great Peruvian chicken in Northern VA at several places. Also, Sietsema in the Post gave a Thai restaurant three stars recently which may be worth a look. And, Guajillo just up from Rosslyn and Taqueria Poblano off Lee Hwy. along with Taqueria Caminente (sp?)are all worth a serious look while you're here.

Bombay Bistro in Fairfax City. Wonderful. Connaught Place, also in Fairfax City, less wonderful to me but my sister, who lives in Manhattan, thinks the sun rises there. Punjab Dhaba at Loemann's plaza. I've probably misspelled that. They have an every-day buffet at lunch that is EXTREMELY variable. Sometimes everything is delicious, sometimes everything seems rather like muck. But if you skip the buffet and order the masala dosa (obviously not a Punjabi dish) you will be very, very happy with what you get.

That's the Indian. Vietnamese: I love the pho at Pho Satay on Annandale Rd. at Rt. 50. There's also a good Vietnamese restaurant at Loemann's (or is it Loehmann's) Plaza, I think it's called Saigon House. There's a Pho place nearby (near Punjab Dhaba) called I think Pho 50 that I've heard is good, but I've never eaten there. There are of course many good Vietnamese places in Eden Center, but the one where I had the most wonderful Vietnamese crepe thing filled with sprouts and wonderful pork and stuff I can't remember the name of.

But if you really want to be very very happy, go to China Star. Order the salt and pepper eggplant. Be happy.

When I lived in Glover Park, Heritage India used be the best Indian for upscale pricing, poor service, inattentive management and staff, and an over-priced and poorly matched wine list. The only reason we continued to go there was for the chef, Sudhir Seth, and in happier times he was doing some inspired cooking there worth driving over Key Bridge for. As has been mentioned in other threads, Sudhir is now in Bethesda--and in most restaurant things it's usually better to follow the chef--so why not try his place sometime, which has been re-named Passage to India. Eve Zibart recently profiled him here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...070915&typeId=2

Though that doesn't help you in NoVA. I don't have a lot of current experience with Arlington-NoVA Indian restaurants, but nothing I had tried was as good as what Sudhir was doing (nor was any higher end Indian cooking in our area as interesting or as good as what could be had in NYC--though that imbalance may be changing.) I'm sure there are current praiseworthy Virginia places, I just haven't been to any yet. Monica Bhide not too long ago did an overview piece for the Washingtonian, which can be found here:

http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/bestof/indian.html

It's a nice introduction from an informed palate and covers a few of the places already recommended on this thread. Might give you some leads closer to home as well. Be sure to report back.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I prefer Hung Viet over the 4 Sisters place in Eden Center. 4 Sisters is good for those who haven't had Vietnamese food before. It's a more upscale place relative to the other restaurants in Eden Center. However, Hung Viet is more authentic and cheaper as well. IMHO, 4 Sisters tends to Westernize their food more so that the other restaurants in the center.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

In addition to Huong Viet,(try the frog legs and the lotus root salad) I suggest LyLy, which is inside the Eden Center. If you go into the entrance to the left of the large Vietnamese grocery store, you will find it in the back left corner. LyLy has northern Vietnamese cuisine and brightly painted, cheery surroundings. The lotus root and shrimp salad is very good (warning, unlike most places, they do spice theirs in the kitchen), the battered sweet potato and shrimp cake tasty, and the clams with sauteed onions are a standout.

Warning: Eden Center's parking lot can get very crowded on a weekend after 10:45 am or so. Think of your local mall at 7:45 pm on December 24 and you will understand just how crowded. Most places open by 10:00 am, many before then. If you find yourself too frustrated by the parking, turn left on Washington Blvd and go half a block past the light--Little Saigon in the strip next to the Jiffy Lube is quite good. Go for their egg noodle soups and have their baby clams with onions (totally different preparation from LyLy, also good) and green papaya salad. (I may have gotten the name confused, but it is the only restaurant in that strip and is immediately to the right of the JiffyLube.)

Warning: Eden Center's parking lot can get very crowded on a weekend after 10:45 am or so.  Think of your local mall at 7:45 pm on December 24 and you will understand just how crowded. 

More like the bumper car ride at the amusement park with a lot of out of state vehicles :raz:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Add me to those who think Four Sister's Reputation exceeds its current performance. My family prefers Viet Royale, which is right next door to Four Sisters.

I had dinner at Heritage in Glover Park the other night and my, probably unenlightened, palate was unable to detect any slippage in the food quality -- nor any improvement to the service. I have a weak spot for the Bombay Club, which is a very quick jump from NoVa, though technically not there. The food is very good and it's got to be one of the most civilized places in the city to eat.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Add me to those who think Four Sister's Reputation exceeds its current performance. My family prefers Viet Royale, which is right next door to Four Sisters. 

Any specific suggestions for dishes at Viet Royale? Coincidentally, my Vietnamese-American co-worker just identified it as his favorite at EC and recommended the caramel fish, the shaky beef, and the seafood pan-fried crispy noodles. We exchanged menus with notes (I gave him my LyLy notes).

Any specific suggestions for dishes at Viet Royale? Coincidentally, my Vietnamese-American co-worker just identified it as his favorite at EC and recommended the caramel fish, the shaky beef, and the seafood pan-fried crispy noodles. We exchanged menus with notes (I gave him my LyLy notes).

I've had the Banh Xeo at Viet Royale. Personally, I like Hung Viet's style better. I'm not that familar with Vietnamese cuisine to be able to tell the regional difference but there is a distinct difference between Hung Viet's cooking style and Viet Royale's. Both are good restaurants and better than 4 sisters.

Bo Lu Lac (Shaky Beef) is done well at Viet Bistro, next to Maria's Bakery and Cafe, facing the gate to EC. The Shaky Beef at Viet Royale is drier and more like a jerky and at Viet Bistro is stir-fried and has alot of pan juices. Oh yeah...*drools* :wub:

Well, we tried Viet Royale on Friday afternoon and I was underwhelmed. Most of the classic dishes we tried are better at either Huong Viet or LyLy, or both. This is not to say the food was bad, but my expectations were high. There were two notable exceptions. First, their caramel fish was a meatier fish than is used at most places and was very good. Second, while not strictly a Vietnamese dish, the clams with black bean sauce were excellent.

My 5 year-old daughter loved the butter fried frog legs. The batter was very crisp and not at all greasy.

For Vietnamese try Huong Que(Four Sisters) in Eden Center at Seven Corners. Hands down my favorite Vietnamese restaurant in the area. Try the quail with Black Pepper and Lime, simple and addictive.

For Indian I've always had a soft spot for Haandi in Falls Church. It is not as wonderful as it used to be, but the Lamb Vindaloo, Daal Mahani and the Samosas are still top nottch

If he is thin, I will probably dine poorly. If he is both thin and sad, the only hope is in flight.”

Fernand Point

Cirrcle Bistro, Potato Peeler

Had dinner last night at Huong Viet w/ my friends. I had the grilled prok with rice crepe. Stellar. The meat was well-prepared and had lots of flavor. Good fatty bits to the pork as well. The limeade soda was tasty and my friend's pho gai was very good! Surprising considering it's not a pho joint and pho gai is usually an afterthought at most places.

I love Eden Center.

A couple of additions to this post about Indian/Vietnamese--

Indian

1. Bombay Bistro (off of 123)--as mentioned--very good--Indian friends who love this place

2. Haandi--off Rt 7 in Falls Church--also very good

Vietnamese

1. Minh's--I think in Rosslyn off of Wilson Blvd (Tom S. likes it--very good vietnamese)

"Me fail English...that's unpossible"

Marge: What's brunch?

Jacques: You'll love it. It's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of cantaloupe at the end. You don't get completely what you would get at breakfast, but you get a good meal.