• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dressing up ground beef

Megaroo

stuffed cabbage....mmmm. and you can freezw it just fine and it's cheap as dirt. i dont have a recipe but its essentially- cabbage leaves rolled around beef mixed with uncooked rice. then cooked in the oven with a sweetened tomato sauce with some rasins thrown in. you cook it until the beef is cooked and the rice is done (just crack one open) or leave one unwrapped in the dish, and add 15 mins to account for the cabbage wrapping. if the sauce starts to get tedious. try other sauces, mushroom is popular in some recipes. or other variations of this theme.

sorry if the recipe makes no sense.

also think depression food ( as in "the great") there was hardly any meat and everything was streched.

also

meatloaf

taco/burrito/chili night/night/week

baked potato W meat and cheese

hmmm.. I'll keep thinking.

ps. I'm generally in exact some situation save for cooking at moms house (and making her pay for ingrediants.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

"County Jail" a.k.a Beef & Beans

1 jar B&M baked beans (either vegetarian or with pork removed)

1 lb ground beef

1 large onion, diced

2 cloves of garlic minced fine (or to taste)

More oregano than you've ever put in anything

S&P (fresh ground pepper,please)

Brown meat until 90% done, the drain most of the fat. Add chopped onion to beef in skillet,stir gently until translucent. Toward end of onions cooking, add garlic and saute for a minute. Dump in beans, stir again, season to taste with oregano & S&P

Cover, simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.Bean juice is high sugar and will tend to scorch if ignored. Serve with buttered noodles. NOTE: if you get too much oregano in this, tame it with a dollop of molasses or better yet, a shot of real maple syrup. YUM! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Stir fry ginger and garlic very quickly (10 seconds) then add ground beef. Lob in spring onions, and vegetables finely diced too if you like. Then lob in chili bean sauce (hot!) and a larger amount of hoi sin sauce to taste. And perhaps some soy sauce. You end up with a chinese sauce to be stirred into noodles.

If you make the flavours very strong, you can stir relatively small amounts into large plates of noodles. Alternatively, make it milder and eat like chinese spag bol. Freezes well, too.

Hey Judiu - For that recipe, is there a reason you remove the pork?

Just don't like the texture, and it's only a bitsy piece on top of the beans. Has no flavor factor, really. I've even done this with sausage meat if I didn't have hamburger. :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Ooh, akur23 -- thanks for those links!  I've got some plantains I want to use up, and those seem like perfect vehicles.

You welcome! Every time I go to my mom's she makes me piononos. Mine just never come out quite as good. :raz:

Ana the Librarian

Twins were born June 14th, 2006!!!!!

I'm also a Disney Trivia fan: DisneyTrivia

I trade books!

Have books to trade? Join PaperBack Swap!

Chili con carne, with the ingredients in the crockpot.............it's two birds with one stone: Cheap *and* it cooks by itself! THis was my favorite meal when I was a student...........I didn't have to take time away from studies to stir a pot!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Stir fry ginger and garlic very quickly (10 seconds) then add ground beef. Lob in spring onions, and vegetables finely diced too if you like. Then lob in chili bean sauce (hot!) and a larger amount of hoi sin sauce to taste. And perhaps some soy sauce. You end up with a chinese sauce to be stirred into noodles.

Gus

That sounds similar to something that I saw Ming Tsai do on TV- he called it Chinese Sloppy Joe and put it on a bun. I've been meaning to make it...

stuffed cabbage....mmmm. and you can freezw it just fine and it's cheap as dirt.
Luckylies

Along the same line, my wife makes what she calls 'unstuffed cabbage', essentially the same ingredients cooked in the same pot. The cabbage is shredded and distributed amongst the filling and the sauce. Just as tasty and more managable to prepare (unfortunately sometimes corners must be cut).

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Keema Mattar! This isn't the recipe I use (which is from Madhur Jaffrey), but it's close enough. The great thing about this is that I usually have all the ingredients, including frozen ground meat and frozen peas. It's a great thing to put on top of a mound of steaming basmati rice....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts