• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help identifying this chocolate dish

glossyp

We dined the other evening at Chef Mavro in Honolulu. He has a new pastry chef and she created a wonderful dessert of a rosemary chocolate substance wrapped in a gelatin "canneloni." The chocolate was thick and rich yet creamy. It wasn't frozen and it wasn't mousse. What would you properly call this filling and is there a French term for it?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

I really enjoy Chef Mavro (and he is a really nice man too). He and his new Pastry Chef were in for lunch last week at Mariposa- I sent them a bunch of desserts.

It was a wonderful meal - worth every penny. I'm going to save up and go back again. :biggrin: He is indeed a lovely person as well as enormously talented.

Lucky them - they got a bunch of desserts from you!

I'm hoping to get by NM this week; I'll stick my head in and see if you're there and introduce myself.

Edited by glossyp (log)

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Absolutely FABULOUS food at Chef Mavro . . .

One of my fav next to Alan Wong . . .

Very easy but sooo good . . . his Lilikoi Malasadas . . .

I had a friend who worked for him for a bit, he said it was great experience but a lot of pressure . . .

Sorry to get off topic . . .

reading this post makes me miss home (Hawaii) a lot . . .

Who works at Neiman Marcus . . just curious . . . ??

Hmm. My wife and I were in Honolulu last month for one week on business/vacation. We went to Mavro because of the rave reviews rather than going to Le Mer. This turned out to be a mistake.

We were both pretty underwhelmed, particularly for a $ 185 meal for two. We have had much better French food in Seattle at $ 75 for two.

The service left something to be desired, too. When I had the temerity to order a wine different than the pre-selected pairings, the waiter carefully explained to me how the entire staff did the wine tastings to select the optimum wine for each dish. I carefully explained back how I was aware of that, but having personal experience with the wine paired with the fish, I would prefer another, and that I knew my palate better than the staff. We thought the food was pretty uninspired and bland. Of note, we were told by a couple of Honolulu residents later on that Mavro tends to attract the Japanese tourist and business trade and that the food is not particularly venturesome.

We were, however, very pleased with Keo's downtown, Hoku's at the Kahala Mandarin and with Roy Yamaguchi's. I think we will skip Mavro the next time we are in town.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA