• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas dining in mid-January

joiei

I need recommendations for places for lunch and dinner in mid-january. My boss is going to be down and will be staying at the Mansion. What is new, exciting, great food, and it does not have to be all high dollar. She loves super thin crust pizzas, some middle eastern foods, small portions, tasting menus, good wine lists, and good times. Where can I make her some reservations?

edited to add - If it sounds good enough, i might sneak down before her to check it out. They have dined at most of the 'ususal suspect' upper end restaurants in the Dallas area. I don't think they would drive over to Ft Worth, but it could be worth a try. I know Lanny's Alta Cucina would fit the bill over there. So what is new on the Dallas side of the metroplex?

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Joiei,

How've you been?

I have not been to any of these places but these are the latest restaurants that everyone is talking about. They are new so your boss surely has not dined at them and they are not too far from The Mansion. You can get more information on them at www.guidelive.com.

Hector's on Henderson: Hey, it's on Henderson..what a shock. 214-821-0432

Chaucer's Steakhouse: on Mockingbird. 214-821-3001

George: on Inwood. 214-366-9100

and of course for pizza: Fireside Pies, on Henderson. 214-370-3916

If she hasn't been to Lola's Tasting Room GET HER A RESERVATION!!!. Make sure you specify the tasting room. It's on Fairmount and the number is 214-855-0700.

not necessairly real Italian pizza, just super thin crust. When I make them, I stretch the dough so thin on the pizza screens they almost become translucent. Then they bake up extra crispy. Soggy pizza just does not work here.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Well, take these recommendations with a grain of salt. Since the birth of my second child, the wife and I haven't been painting the town red, so new ones I'm not too sure of, but these were our faves before James III:

I heartily second the Green Room. GREAT food, and a cool funky place.

Ciudad on Oak Lawn. Monica Green's restaurant with Mexican food with a twist.

Citizen on Oak Lawn. Pacific Rim cuisine.

York St near the corner of Skillman and Lewis. This one has great food, but since you're dining with your boss, might be a little too intimate.

If you want barbeque, I always go to Smokey Joe's. Not in the greatest section of town, it's off of 35 near Camp Wisdom (right before 35 meets 20) and there isn't a table in the place, you need to eat on the hood of your car, but man is the barbeque good, along with good buttermilk pie and sweet potato pie.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody for your input. I will compile a list for her and send her on down. Then i get a couple of free days for me up here. Works well for both of us.

I will be down myself closer to the end of the month to dine. Maybe at George or The tasting room at Lola.