• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

That was the best episode of all seasons. That better make it to DVD with some more scenes added. I appreciated the editing to make Tony rise to the occasion and stagger to the finish.

The explanation was great and it was very funny to see the locos checking out the FNG. What was the deal with the scallops though? I watched it twice and could not tell what the hassle was on that dish; it was not one of the ones that he screwed up and got send back that I heard.

I gotta check the schedule. I have to see that again.

I didn't get the scallops either, except it seemed his meez for the scallops was a tad harder to find. I'd think the pork belly would have given him fits, instead. Scallops, easy if you don't overcook them. Pork Belly? Much easier to muck up.

Blog.liedel.org

what a great episode!  I think Tony did a pretty good job. I wonder if he ever got reading glasses?? (can't recall if we have seen him using them in other episodes).

I think his final comment summed things up well. Working the line really is a young man's game.

Tony DOES use reading glasses. I suspect he forgot to bring them with him because most of what he had to do would not require their use - EXCEPT, of course, reading the itsy small print on the tickets (!)

The explanation was great and it was very funny to see the locos checking out the FNG.  What was the deal with the scallops though?  I watched it twice and could not tell what the hassle was on that dish; it was not one of the ones that he screwed up and got send back that I heard.

I gotta check the schedule.  I have to see that again.

I think it's because that particular scallop dish wasn't part of the Les Halles repetoire a few years ago - not because Tony doesn't know how to cook scallops or had a meez problem. He needed to see the dish prepared once. On the ticket, it would just say "1 scallop", with no other indication of preparation.

Oh, and 700 covers!!!!!!!  :shock:

Yep, 700! When Tony was Exec Chef, LH had about 80, 86 tables and did about 350 covers a night - Tony's personal best was 365 (I called. I checked). Now, LH has 140? seats, and does 650-700 covers A NIGHT - Oy! And his stats for tthat night, 12/18, :raz: was 315. Which was pretty damn decent for a 51 year-old chef who hasn't been on a line even part-time for 5 years (or full-time, for 8). :cool:

The explanation was great and it was very funny to see the locos checking out the FNG.  What was the deal with the scallops though?  I watched it twice and could not tell what the hassle was on that dish; it was not one of the ones that he screwed up and got send back that I heard.

I gotta check the schedule.  I have to see that again.

I think it's because that particular scallop dish wasn't part of the Les Halles repetoire a few years ago - not because Tony doesn't know how to cook scallops or had a meez problem. He needed to see the dish prepared once. On the ticket, it would just say "1 scallop", with no other indication of preparation.

I got that scene, but later multiple orders come in and he is groaning about no more scallops no more scallops. My only thought was that the timing was hard OR so many orders came through for them that we did not see he was sick of them.

GREAT episode, probably one of my favs. It was really funny watching Tony on the line, though I did detect a bit of wistfulness at the end when he says it's a young person's game.

In any case, as someone who's witnessed several restaurants during the rush, I have to say this was one of the most accurate representations of a busy night that I've ever seen on TV.

Cheers! :cool:

Tony's personal best was 365 (I called.  I checked).

Do you have a working relationship with AB, or do you just stalk him?! :biggrin::wink:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

What is it about shows (or films) which feature a REAL working kitchen that are so endlessly fascinating to me (an a few others I see)? I absolutly loved this episode, and Ripert was a great and surprising addition. Certainly my wife liked that part the best :hmmm:. Seriously though that dude is cool.

I'll defintily be seeing this again, back to back with Singapore.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

What is it about shows (or films) which feature a REAL working kitchen that are so endlessly fascinating to me (an a few others I see)? I absolutly loved this episode, and Ripert was a great and surprising addition. Certainly my wife liked that part the best :hmmm:. Seriously though that dude is cool.

I'll defintily be seeing this again, back to back with Singapore.

Eric was so cool, serene and chillaxing all throughout service. He didn't even lose it when a fan's flash went off in his face. Just stuck his tongue out at her, grinned and kept grilling. He is a Buddhist, and his Zen-like serenity shows. Gotta love the guy.

What EG really needs are more Bourndain topics. There are currently 4 on the first page of this area and, gosh darn it, that is way to few. I am proposing a seperate Bourndain area and will also soon announce my plans to start raising funds for the solid bronze life size Bourndain to be erected in front of the Washington Monument.

Awesome episode. I found the inner workings fascinating.

The Ripper was working that grill like a Pueblan line cook half his age.

I wonder if this episode will be an eye opener to those not familiar with the restaurant industry as to the ethnic make up of most manhattan kitchens.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

That was a classic episode.  Hope they do reruns.  And, I think it should be mandatory viewing for every culinary student or wannabe out there.

I looked way forward into next month and do not see a rerun. Boooo. :angry:

What EG really needs are more Bourndain topics. There are currently 4 on the first page of this area and, gosh darn it, that is way to few. I am proposing a seperate Bourndain area and will also soon announce my plans to start raising funds for the solid bronze life size Bourndain to be erected in front of the Washington Monument.

I had to go to bed...too tired to finish watching. I couldn't do that again. I'm older than tony.

I think the monument is a great idea, but only if it includes Todd Englsih. I swear his pub licist gets paid by the hour.

The show was entertaining. But honestly though, we have no idea if Bourdain held his own on the line due to editing. Also by all rights asking the chef all those questions and confirmations during service would not have been to promising. :laugh:

To job security that is.

Robert R

I wonder if this episode will be an eye opener to those not familiar with the restaurant industry as to the ethnic make up of most manhattan kitchens.

That was what struck me the most. I am thinking (could be very wrong) that these amazing guys did not go to culinary school. The pace and teamwork was fascinating.

Since we are still not getting new eps here in Vancouver (they are now repeating the Malaysia ep), I thought I'd check and see what was in store next season:

Laos

Tokyo-Kyoto

Uruguay

Colombia

"an haute-heavy" Spain show

Egypt

San Francisco

Azores/New England, Portugese nexus

Papua New Guinea

I am particularly keen to see the Colombia and San Francisco shows, as it adds a certain frisson to see what he does in places I've been/really like. I'll have to DVR the Uruguay one for my brother who lived there for a while. Looks like a good lineup...