• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

The Israelis just bombed the airport...so it look like we won't be going anywhere soon...

Thanks for the good wishes..

I hope you got out of there before more hell breaks lose.

Best wishes and may God speed!

2317/5000

Ah Tony, my crush, please be careful. I'm the first to admit I have absolutely no depth of understanding the politics of the middle east, but I do love the food. This would have been an episode to record. You apparently have leagues of friends here wishing you safe sojourne out of your current pickle.

Genny

Be safe and get out ASAP! Pretend you're French or something, both sides like France...right?

Really, there HAS to be some more safe and interesting places to eat and drink in this big wide world where a Kevlar vest isn't necessary under your formal wear.

Good luck, and love the shows!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

The Israelis just bombed the airport...so it look like we won't be going anywhere soon...

Thanks for the good wishes..

Holy shit. Get thee the hell out of there, man.

Although a show called "Shawarma and Shrapnel" might make for great TV.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm not going to try to be clever--just that I'm thinking of you and hoping you're not scared, that you are as brave and intrepid as you have likely been in other unpleasant moments of your life. As long as those bombs fly, and beyond, I will wish you safe haven and happy trails, and I will worry. Hang in there. Not because you have fans but because you are a great and beautiful person who loves and respects the people of the world in a way that makes me feel blessed to read the wonderful stuff that you write, and to watch--via CT and especially NR--how you bring the love of good food and good folks to us, so fiercely and so well.

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

You realize the Israelis aren't going after Hezbollah, they're getting back at you for all the pounds of pork you've put away in your shows. Indonesia and Puerto Rico would be enough to send 10 clean-living men to hell, and we all know you haven't done much clean living. :wink:

Truly, I'm getting an image in my mind of Diane running around trying to clean up falling debris in your hotel room while everyone else tries to get through the day with enough alcohol to forget the day before. May it be strong and pure, and may you all come back in one piece. Literally.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

Truly, I'm getting an image in my mind of Diane running around trying to clean up falling debris in your hotel room while everyone else tries to get through the day with enough alcohol to forget the day before. May it be strong and pure, and may you all come back in one piece. Literally.

I hope he likes the taste of Arak. That's all he might be drinking for a while.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Well, yeesh. I've not seen anything about ya on the AP wire yet, Tony, so I'm writing it up myself.

Ever read P.J. O'Rourke's "Holidays In Hell?" It's advised reading for anyone doing the sort of traveling you're doing.

Keep your head down and your Scotch neat.

"Everything to excess! To enjoy life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks." Robert Heinlein

Way it's looking now--there ain't gonna be a show.

Your safety is the most important thing, Tony!!!

I'm sure he'll have plenty of content for the "bad shit that happens to us" episode, to go along with the various jungle sicknesses and ailments that plague the crew.

Tony posted this, this morning, on the Travel Channel Forum.

Thanks for the good thoughts and well wishes. We are all of us (Diane, Jerry, Toddles, Tracey and me) in good health, good spirits and working ferociously on our tans and sipping blender drinks while watching the fireworks from a secure location. Our masters at Travel Channel have made sure we are being well looked after.

Though I'm not sure the "gold-plated, monkey-navigated rocket-sled" I requested as an exfiltration vehicle will be laid on imminently...we have nothing to complain about.

Particularly compared to the locals who are having an atrocious time of it. This is a great city--filled with many lovely, proud and generous people and it's heartbreaking missing so much of it. Worse seeing all that pride and hope and tolerance turn overnight to grim resignation. Hope to return to shoot here someday and finish what we started.

This was posted by the Travel Channel on the forum.

Hello all. I work in production at Travel Channel and I just wanted to let all of you know that Tony and the crew are still in Beirut. They are safe and protected and as soon as the situation allows us to bring them out, we will.

I'm sure that Tony and all of the production crew at No Reservations appreciate your well wishes and prayers and we'll make sure to pass them along.

TravProduction

What a nightmare! Tony, we're thinking of you and the crew.

I was freaking out reading through this thread, until I burst out laughing at Jason's "Shawarma and Shrapnel" line. Brilliant and twisted, just like our Mr. Bourdain!

Damn Tony-hope you can get out of there as fast as possible, show or no show! There's a plate of brisket, ribs, and sausage and a cold beer with your name on it when you do!!

Frank in Austin, TX

(I hope you remembered to pack your flak jacket!)

Frank in Austin

'Til you're outta there, keep us posted on the shell count...

Edited by Starwind (log)

Starwind . Fort Lauderdale

--

There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being.

-- Albert Einstein

Hehehe, I figured, "This won't end well" when I saw that comment -- but I see it's gone now. So I'll just say this, for the record -- I am amused by the "gold-plated, monkey-navigated rocket-sled" comment. :biggrin:

Wouldn't wanna be in that situation, but damn, kudos on keeping a cheerful disposition about things, Tony. Very cool. Hope you get some good footage, and some great publicity -- but more importantly, some good food. And obviously, most important of all, I do hope you've got enough ice for those mojitos.

You'll be outta there lickety-split, Inch Allah & Elohim, dude. Good luck.

Just writing to Tony and Crew stay safe and get out soon.

And just wondering if anyone has asked Tony to write an article on this thing from the Chef/

Torist point of view?

Does anyone know when Travel Channel will re-air "Decoding Ferran Adria"?     I have a season pass for "No Reservations" on my TiVo, but it didn't pick up this episode since it was a "special" as opposed to a regular episode of "No Reservations".

I suppose I can set wish list for "Ferran Adria" or something like that.

There is a book out (2006) by a bourdain called 'decoding ferran adria'. i haven't seen this mentioned here in the forum, but it is listed on the net. i suppose it is in book stores, too. should be an interesting read, no doubt.

Only the DVD is listed on amazon. Where is this book?

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQcpidZ137...75QQprZ53564585

this link should take you to half.com, and the page on the site where i found the book listed. there is a photo of the book.

(now, i want to suggest that anyone buy the book from a bookstore if they can possibly do that. no author makes a dime off of re-sale books. some of the sellers buy several copies and of course ab would profit from that.)

i have bought from half.com several times. it is a good source to find many items that are no longer in stock elsewhere.

Does anyone know when Travel Channel will re-air "Decoding Ferran Adria"?     I have a season pass for "No Reservations" on my TiVo, but it didn't pick up this episode since it was a "special" as opposed to a regular episode of "No Reservations".

I suppose I can set wish list for "Ferran Adria" or something like that.

There is a book out (2006) by a bourdain called 'decoding ferran adria'. i haven't seen this mentioned here in the forum, but it is listed on the net. i suppose it is in book stores, too. should be an interesting read, no doubt.

Only the DVD is listed on amazon. Where is this book?

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQcpidZ137...75QQprZ53564585

this link should take you to half.com, and the page on the site where i found the book listed. there is a photo of the book.

(now, i want to suggest that anyone buy the book from a bookstore if they can possibly do that. no author makes a dime off of re-sale books. some of the sellers buy several copies and of course ab would profit from that.)

i have bought from half.com several times. it is a good source to find many items that are no longer in stock elsewhere.

ok...i have just read tony's post that says 'there is no book'. i don't know what this is on half.com but i will send them a note about it immediately. this seller should be taken off the lists.

sorry for any confusion...and tony...stay safe. prayers are with you.

P.

What a nightmare!  Tony, we're thinking of you and the crew. 

I was freaking out reading through this thread, until I burst out laughing at Jason's "Shawarma and Shrapnel" line.  Brilliant and twisted, just like our Mr. Bourdain!

Ditto, ditto. This is a book I'd love to read.

My best thoughts are with you and your crew, AB.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish