• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

I would pin Tony's accent as private-school, suburban NY/NJ, which would make sense, since he went to private schools and was raised in Leonia, NJ.

I'll buy that explanation.

However, that having been said, last night's show failed to hold my attention.

SB (maybe just not a Miami sort of person?) :unsure:

Nope, that's not it. In my previous life I was a Miami sort of person, and I found last night's episode not very interesting, too. Wasn't even disappointed when I fell asleep during part of it. Fishing down there is great, though.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

It is interesting to me that he has more than once been complementary to Emeril on his show? What has change? Why the making nice Emeril, now? Is Bobby Flay and Rachel Ray next?

It is interesting to me that he has more than once been complementary to Emeril on his show?  What has change?  Why the making nice Emeril, now?  Is Bobby Flay and Rachel Ray next?

He said in a recent interview that he likes Emeril, has respect for him as a cook, but absolutely HATES the Emeril show.

So now that he's cleared that up, we'll just have to wait and see about the other two.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I am enjoying this season even more than last season.  One comment - watching Bourdain sit on the side of the road in Sicily, bitching and moaning while someone ELSE changes the flat tire???  Not a  lot of sympathy for you, bud.  :wink:

I haven't seen the entire show but it looks like a filler show, it took a half hour to film on the road side and then used clips from last season and you have a quick episode. In this case it was a treat for the fans to get to see more of Tony and some behond the scenes shots.

The Leftovers show may be the funniest hour in the history of television (that I can remember). Anthony is like Carson - he's in his prime when the world's falling down around him. That, and he smokes.

The Leftovers show may be the funniest hour in the history of television (that I can remember). Anthony is like Carson - he's in his prime when the world's falling down around him. That, and he smokes.

I agree. The out-takes were far superior to the "intakes"(?)

Kind of makes you wonder what kind of idiots the producers and editors are?

SB :wacko:

The new episodes of NR have been great, on par with the best from last season. Only one thing, at least one of those places, El Rey, has been shown on the Food Network before (possibly explaining your hesitance to go there), however it was for all the right reasons, I know, I sat and ate there once in '96, keep up the good work Tony.

What was the name of the place where he had the conch fritters in Key West...Conch something Cafe?

Sounds right? I was somewhat awed to see that it looked like a popular place, and it was what I had in mind as the possible other place that was on the FN before (strong sense of deja vous).

I enjoyed the Miami episode, kinda had that breezy, wink-wink stuff going on that the 2nd season of ACT had, but then again I seemed to have been in the minority of liking those episodes, also.

I know it's too early to really tell just 3 episodes into the new season, but it does seem a little more food and chef-centered this time around.

I know it's too early to really tell just 3 episodes into the new season, but it does seem a little more food and chef-centered this time around.

I agree. I really think they are making more effort to feature food. I also think that the second season is much better (although first was no slouch).

Really enjoyed japan and china. the out-take show was better than expected. Am looking foward to Peru on Monday.

For FL, I like the show overall. I could take it or leave it on the segments with his chef friend. If I wanted to see couple of guys fishing I'd watch OLN or ESPN 2.

Has he yet done a show on India?

I mentioned in the Top Chef thread that I started peeping at his show more frequently more or less. Again, I like his t.v. personality if it's not just for show (on t.v. only) it is nice and semi-gritty and amusing to me. I liked one show where he was eating some "island food" at a cart - watching it actually was interesting and it had a "homey"* feel. :cool:

(*not "homey" as in Newark! "homey" as in home-style)

Edited to add I just saw the Las Vegas episode.

Man, I wish room service was that good in all places. I don't like "deep fried" snacks/desserts with the exception of a rare funnelcake from a fair or the like, however that twinkie sure did look good. :raz:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I saw the Peru episode last evening. Beautiful people, beautiful country. I appreciate how through his words/observations Tony is able to make one feel like they're with him through the good (Machu Pichu and the very knowledgeable lady guiding him), the bad (sipping on some local yucca concoction fermented using human saliva; I actually got queasy watching that) and the ugly (well at least Tony pointing out that the farmers featured weren't living some idyllic close to the earth lifestyle; he told the ugly truth about how hard it is for them to eke out a living for themselves and their families).

I thought the comments at the beginning of this episode by a local woman who recognized him as "the guy who eats strange things and suffers" was hilarious. And once again Action Guy didn't let us down. Yes Tony goes swimming with the pirahnas WITH A HUNK OF RAW MEAT IN HIS HAND! :blink: A note to Mrs. Bourdain: I think it may be wise to make a substantial increase in your life insurance policy on your husband.

Did anyone else notice that his ever present cigarette was mostly absent? I'm sure that being 11,000 feet above sea level had something to do with it. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Did anyone else notice that his ever present cigarette was mostly absent?  I'm sure that being 11,000 feet above sea level had something to do with it. :smile:

That was definately true after they went up in the mountains and the girl guide took over, he was still smoking in Lima, I didn't notice it much in the Amazon. I did notice a good deal of drug use, and what was clear to me was the lengths Tony would go to to get a beer, clearly his favorite sidecar-drug. Eating piranha like that seemed like such a waste, that meat must have been absolutely inedible for them to use it like that. I think it's Tony's goal to get through this whole show without catching anything, and yet they make him fish every other/third episode. This show was one of those that made me really want to go somewhere like that soon, very good episode.

I recently read Charles C. Mann's "1491", so the Peru episode might have had a little extra resonance for me; but, man, it was a good episode. Pacing was right on, a good mix of natural beauty and food, humor and pathos.

For me it's right up there with the New Jersey episode as one of the most successful examples of what can be done with this sort of travel/memoir show.

My wife was a little grossed out by the cassava beer, too, even after I explained to her that that was one of the most ancient ways of inoculating a beverage to be fermented, practised in many cultures. She also had to leave the room during the Guinea Pig feast.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I REALLY loved this episode because I can't go above ~4500 ft and this is as close as I'm going to get. But how do coca leaves actually help oxygen deprivation? Do they just mask the symptoms, like coffee?

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

The moment that got me was when one gentleman was asking if Tony would be back and he said something along the lines of "oh yes, Next year. I like it here." Then the one guy translate that second part and the guy says, "He can have it."

Poignant and yet funny.

A note to Mrs. Bourdain: I think it may be wise to make a substantial increase in your life insurance policy on your husband.

Did anyone else notice that his ever present cigarette was mostly absent?  I'm sure that being 11,000 feet above sea level had something to do with it. :smile:

The insurance company would probably charge him two dollars for every dollar of coverage.

I'd not be surprised to find out there was some nicotine in his oxygen tank.

I hope Ruhlman shows up in the Quebec episode. It'd be a shame to waste all that good chemistry (NPI, keeping earlier posts in mind) when Cleveland is so close, relatively speaking. Here's some dialog I'd like to hear;

MR: How do you do, Anthony?

AB: How do YOU do, Ruhlman? (sharp emphasis on "Ruhlman")

Jerry Seinfeld: Excuse me? Excuse me! We may be in Canada, but I do believe they still recognize intellectual property rights around here!

Ruhlman makes the perfect nemesis for Anthony, what with the conscience and all.

A note to Mrs. Bourdain: I think it may be wise to make a substantial increase in your life insurance policy on your husband.

The insurance company would probably charge him two dollars for every dollar of coverage.

I'd not be surprised to find out there was some nicotine in his oxygen tank.

I hope Ruhlman shows up in the Quebec episode. It'd be a shame to waste all that good chemistry (NPI, keeping earlier posts in mind) when Cleveland is so close, relatively speaking. Here's some dialog I'd like to hear;

MR: How do you do, Anthony?

AB: How do YOU do, Ruhlman? (sharp emphasis on "Ruhlman")

Jerry Seinfeld: Excuse me? Excuse me! We may be in Canada, but I do believe they still recognize intellectual property rights around here!

Ruhlman makes the perfect nemesis for Anthony, what with the conscience and all.

Not sure how Cleveland is "relatively" close to Montreal, let alone Inukjuak.

Ruhlman does not make an appearance in the Quebec episode, needless to say.

Cleveland is closer to almost anywhere in Quebec than it is to Vegas, so it would be easier to get to than Saigon, or Fez, for instance.

Edited by bob tenaglio (log)

Cleveland is closer to almost anywhere in Quebec than it is to Vegas, so it would be easier to get to than Saigon, or Fez, for instance.

Right ...

Interesting logic. :huh:

Right ...

Interesting logic. :huh:

simple logic, really. (though not necessarily apparent)

While he might not have made it to Viet Nam or Morocco, he could make it somewhere as close as Las Vegas (like anywhere in Quebec, for instance). Your original stumpage was worded, after all, "Not sure how Cleveland is 'relatively' close to Montreal, let alone Inukjuak". ;-)

Edited by bob tenaglio (log)

Just saw the Quebec episode. All I can say is BEST SHOW EVER! My wife and I ate at Au Pied de Cochon 3 years ago when we were in Montreal for our honeymoon. Seeing Tony eat there brought back for us all the excitement, the energy, and the gleeful excess of that amazing restaurant. And the meal with the Inuit was the most remarkable thing I have ever seen on television. This episode really and truly lived up to the series title "No Reservations". Keep up the astounding work, Tony and crew!

Edited by rcianci (log)

Man oh man, I never thought I'd see the day Bourdain was stuffed. The amount of food served him in au pied de cochon was obscene! :raz:

I love this show. I love Bourdain. His is the first tv program I've bothered taping in several years (Not since Mystery Science Theatre 3000)

:cool:

the tall drink of water...