• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Gosh, y'all. Now, I'll glady admit that I've never seen Bourdain on TV until "No Reservations," but after reading "Kitchen Confidential" and "A Cook's Tour," his TV persona rings true for me.

Maybe, just maybe, Bourdain has a good deal of creative input and wants some of it to look tongue-in-cheek or somewhat contrived--like running into that absinthe man--but didn't we all learn some interesting stuff anyway?

And for pete's sake, you know that a network is not going to spend all of the moolah it must cost to put together a show like this and let every single bit of it be left up to chance. I mean, I'm trying to write an article for the Jackson Free Press about a day-in-the-life of a tow truck driver and can only ride with him on a Saturday (I'm a middle school librarian the rest of his work week)--his boss told me that it might not amount to much since Saturday is not usually a busy day. What I'm trying to say is what would we be tuning in on the Travel Channel if all of Bourdain's days were such Saturdays? He's not out there waiting for a wreck or someone's temp light to come on; he's taking us on his travels, showing us things he thinks we'd like to see, for which I'm profoundly grateful.

PREACH! :raz: I totally agree. If you want to watch a real tourist, tune into PBS on a Saturday afternoon and watch Rick Steves... if you dare. He's not hitting the Absinthe den, but he might sample a bit of sherry. Naughty, Rick... NAUGHTY!! :laugh:

Did anyone catch him on Letterman last night? I didn't make it. It's on past my bed time.

Edited by lesfen (log)

One of the things that I always like about Tony's stuff is he always gives the little guy his fifteen minutes. Like with the fermented shark chef that had to go home early. It's really interesting to me to see this kind of perspective in a travel show, so let's all think of what's already out there when criticizing Tony, and not to some trumped up version of what we would do with the show. He's really to be commended for doing this, but who knows, maybe I just haven't cared much about the Travel Channel before this.

I loved the Iceland episode. I thought it was vintage Bourdain at his snarky, charming and endearing best. There were a few negative comments (about the events he attended) that he might like to have back but still, his sincere appreciation of the place come through loud and clear. Can Tony garner another audience; one that isn't necessarily aware of his "previous" career? After seeing the Iceland episode, I really think so.

What a trooper he was to eat that fermented shark the second time around. I loved his on-camera honesty about the foods he tried and the events he attended. I don't want to watch a travel show where the host is insincerely appreciative of the things he experiences just for the sake of politeness or worse, political correctness. If it sucked, say it sucked. Tony's open-minded enough that I can accept such comments from him. Frankly, that was refreshing.

Watching the Paris episode, I felt a bit let down because I felt it didn't focus enough on the food. That was "my bad" based on my erroneous expectation. The Iceland episode entertained and educated me -- and also made me realize that this is really a whole new thing from Tony. And I think he is the perfect man for the job. I can't wait to see the NJ episode next week and the rest of the series, as well.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I loved the Iceland episode as well, especially the oversexed body building dude. "I VERY HORNY! WHERE IS THE GIRL?" LOL.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Finally got around to watching the Iceland episode, and loved it. The only question I have concerning it, which I'm comfortably sure only Bourdain himself can answer...

...was the Brennevin actually good, or was it just something good enough to wash down the shark? Would it be something he'd regularly order out on occasion if a bar carried it?

It seemed like he dug it enough, but I couldn't tell if that was just because it washed out the shark taste...or kept his gut warm during the blizzard.

And yes, I suppose much of the stuff is pretty gross. But I like it anyway.
Thanks for the insights into Icelandic cuisine, Nanna!

Related threads:

Icelandic Cuisine

Sheep most useful animal for food?

I remember a few months ago--last fall?--reading a gorgeous piece on Iceland in Gourmet, I think. The beautiful hills, the wild ponies, the seafood . . .

I haven't seen the show yet. Do they feature the butter, the lobster soup, the other delicacies Iceland is known for?

If you could paraphrase the show for me briefly, would you say it falls in the "Beautiful yet Bizarre' camp, or "The Worst Of . . ."

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I remember a few months ago--last fall?--reading a gorgeous piece on Iceland in Gourmet, I think.  The beautiful hills, the wild ponies, the seafood . . .

...the fish smoked with burning poo? Eww. That article made me want to visit Iceland and take in the natural beauty... and pass on the smoked fish.

The shark dish was a lot like lutefisk, no?

I think the show is fun, if a little slow. (That wacky tourism film was a bit much.)

The wacky tourism film was my favorite part. Both the original and Tony's take.

But generally, I was pretty unimpressed. Vague, amorphous, random, too much focus on the cult of Bourdain, not enough on Iceland. At this point I'm only watching because I liked Cook's Tour so much and I keep hoping for more bits like that. If I didn't know Tony's work at all, I probably wouldn't tune in again after these first two episodes.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

PREACH!   :raz:  I totally agree.  If you want to watch a real tourist, tune into PBS on a Saturday afternoon and watch Rick Steves... if you dare.  He's not hitting the Absinthe den, but he might sample a bit of sherry.  Naughty, Rick... NAUGHTY!!   :laugh:

Did anyone catch him on Letterman last night?  I didn't make it.  It's on past my bed time.

RICK STEVES!!!! He is the Lawrence Welk of travel! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I wish we got Tony's show here. Tony when are you coming to Israel? We will give you the royal treatment.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I thought the Iceland piece was goofy. But Bourdain was gracious throughout and a good guest. I liked seeing that.

I don't think he offended anybody. That's why I like him.

. . . .

I haven't seen the show yet.  Do they feature the butter, the lobster soup, the other delicacies Iceland is known for?

If you could paraphrase the show for me briefly, would you say it falls in the "Beautiful yet Bizarre' camp, or "The Worst Of . . ."

I think he was quite candid about being bored at the national feast and quick to tell us the food was gross. There was a certain suspense in wondering if he was going to be bored stiff or frozen stiff first. Still it was entertaining, but those looking for some real evenhanded insight into highlights of the culutre are probably not going to be happy with the episode. It's really turning into the anti-travelog and for those who have seen enough travelogs, that in itself may be enough to justify its existence. Tony's travel persona is the foil to Rick Steve's Pollyanna, or perhaps the balance. The only really annoying thing about the episode was that he was suppplied with the ubiquitous Heineken beer for his picnic.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

...the fish smoked with burning poo?  Eww.  That article made me want to visit Iceland and take in the natural beauty... and pass on the smoked fish.

Then you should probably give the smoked lamb a miss too, as much of it is smoked with dried sheep dung. Much better than the milder versions smoked with birch ...

Actually, dried sheep dung and peat were almost the only cooking fuel available in Iceland for many centuries, as much of the country was deforestated shortly after the Settlement. At the farm I grew up on, it was still used for some cooking in the 1960s, and is still used for smoking lamb and other stuff. Although back then, smoking was used for preserving as well as flavoring the meat so after the initial smoking period, it was hung from the rafters high above the fire and taken down months later, almost black from the sooty smoke, much drier than the stuff you can buy in the shops now, and absolutely delicious. The same with the smoked salmon and trout; it used to be drier and tastier than the (rather good) stuff you can buy now.

I've enjoyed the Paris and Iceland shows. I think that Bourdain is someone who's persona and humor are either liked or disliked without much middle ground. As my husband said, "You find him far more amusing than I do." Well, so be it. I like the irreverent, and Bourdain is that! I'll keep my DVR set for No Reservations. Hell, I've not been to any of these places so I am learning a little something while having fun! Like, I don't think Iceland is for me and I may enjoy Paris someday, but it is still lower on my list of places to go than others.

Oh, and the French accent on the Iceland show cracked me up!

I've finally seen the first couple of these myself. I have to say, that after doing so I can understand some of the criticism here a bit better. I'm not sure I fully agree with them, but I can understand them.

There's a lot of self-indulgence in the program. But perhaps it's a function of watching far too many self-indulgent French films in college that I don't much mind that. If something is both entertaining AND self-indulgent, than I've always considered the first negating the second.

There's the fact that the show isn't exactly pretending to be authoritative or comprehensive. Frankly I'm a bit relieved. I'm sure you could pack a lot of facts into a 45-minute program, but it would be a bit boring. Could I do with a few less minutes of Absinthe visions? Sure. Am I terribly upset about them? Not really.

This is Bourdain deciding that it's better to be his own sarcastic, occasionally annoying, essentially honest self instead of a talking head. So if he thinks that Icelandic food mostly kind of sucks, well... maybe the Tourist board will never ask him back again, but at least he didn't pretend. And it's not like he's pretending to be anything other than his skinny pseudo-hipster self. Sure, that person is a bit of a construct--at least as much as any person who read Jack Kerouc, or Hunter S. Thompson, or saw Rebel Without A Cause, or listened to alternative music when all his friends were into Madonna, or who adds the suffixes "a-rific" or "o-matic" to the ends of things. But that doesn't make it any less real. It's entertaining, in part, because no matter how he got that way, it's him, and weren't you just thinking yourself that the boring Mariott-event-room looking convention of staid old folks in the Iceland episode looked like a Dental convention? You KNOW you were. Admit it.

The show, in general, is well paced. The disparate elements are sewn together decently, with narration and clever transitions. The people who appear can be either co-conspirators OR the butt of Bourdain's wit, and frankly that's appropriate. Bourdain occasionally looks a bit silly, but he's okay with that--it shows that his self-indulgence isn't about ego as much as experimentation.

The show's got room to grow, but it's also got room to sink. As I said before, I think the biggest danger here is people getting the idea that Tony is trying to be comprehensive. He can't really afford to spend time explaining that he's not, but if he doesn't he may wind up with a lot of complaints about what he missed, or what he over-generalized or simplified. It's an unavoidable problem, I'm afraid.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I don't know... anyone that is looking down their nose and poo-poo'ing this entire series are simply out of touch with "Their public".

I'm a middle aged, tired and burnt out electrical engineer trying my best to maintain a semblance of a career before I check in to the asylum - and I LOVE this show. What's not to like? No, it's not Julia Child or Jaques Pepin teaching the finer points of technique, and God help anyone who tries to reproduce that.

This is a travel show first, and then about eating. Dave Attell captured magic by doing a travel show based on investigating the local culture by visiting dive bars overnight until dawn after his shows. Bourdain has captured LIGHTNING by doing a travel show based on investigating the local culture by visiting the markets and food sources and restaurants of the typical person on the street of his destinations. What better way to learn about the real culture than by avoiding the hyped tourist destinations and four star snooty places?

This New Jersey show was the best tv I've seen in a long while. Same with Paris and Iceland. I mean, I would never have known to be on guard when I try fermented shark without seeing this show because I'm adventurous when it comes to locals' food recommendations. These shows take me on the tour that I would want to do in person, namely going places I would go to on my travels in order to get to understand the real local culture, not the costumed facade provided by most travel shows, sponsored by local chambers of commerce. And it has inspired me to go to these places and try similar things.

And the closing scene of Batali re-enacting the classic scene from The Godfather, was priceless (it was broadcast uncut last night on another network). These two are people who take their craft very seriously, yet still are grounded enough not to take THEMSELVES so seriously. Bourdain and Batali's prestige just went way up in my book, and I can't do a thing to benefit them besides perhaps adding one to their book sales.

My only advice to Bourdain: You wear straight legged, boot cut jeans. Your legs look like fingers... sir, please eat a sandwichor better a couple cannolis. Maybe that's why Batali got the hero's welcome at the Italian joint? But I, for one, am thoroughly enjoying this series. Anyone who doesn't must have lost touch with their FUN side.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

And the closing scene of Batali re-enacting the classic scene from The Godfather, was priceless (it was broadcast uncut last night on another network).

what was cut?

I was also amused at TB going on about pinky rings and such while the camera was focused on his driving hand. With a THUMB ring. hee. you trendoid you.

And the closing scene of Batali re-enacting the classic scene from The Godfather, was priceless (it was broadcast uncut last night on another network).

what was cut?

I was also amused at TB going on about pinky rings and such while the camera was focused on his driving hand. With a THUMB ring. hee. you trendoid you.

Sorry Lia, I was referring to a broadcast of The Godfather, uncut, last night. As Daffy Duck said, "Pronoun trouble!"

And I did chuckle out loud when I saw the thumb ring too.

This show is FUN. Remember FUN? I hope everyone can remember what FUN is, or else it's your own fault you aren't enjoying this series.

Edited by BuzzDraft (log)

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

Great Gorge "Resort" in "Joisey" was the poor man's ski slope for those who couldn't make it up to Bellair or Hunter in NY. Having been to the latter I think I would of prefered the former.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)