• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Sorry about that....as opposed to the circa 1920 medical torture device known simply as "The Zimmern", this is actually referring to Andrew Zimmern, host of Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know if we get that show here in Blandcouver. Was he by any chance the guest star on the ABNR New York ep?

Yep. Zimmern's shtick is seeking out and eating the most bizarre foods he can find - I think it's more a gross-out factor thing. There is no context provided for what he goes to eat. He's like a dumpy, pudgy, middle-aged wannabe Ozzy Osbourne biting the heads off bats. (OK, that's unfair to Oz!)

Sorry about that....as opposed to the circa 1920 medical torture device known simply as "The Zimmern", this is actually referring to Andrew Zimmern, host of Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know if we get that show here in Blandcouver. Was he by any chance the guest star on the ABNR New York ep?

Yep. Zimmern's shtick is seeking out and eating the most bizarre foods he can find - I think it's more a gross-out factor thing. There is no context provided for what he goes to eat. He's like a dumpy, pudgy, middle-aged wannabe Ozzy Osbourne biting the heads off bats. (OK, that's unfair to Oz!)

Hmm, maybe I should be thankful if we don't get that show here :unsure:

I love Hawai'i - off-the-grid, not tourist Hawai'i. I, too, wish they're had been a little less tiki bar/Hawai'ian shirt and more about the food and the kama 'aina themselves. Hawai'ians have an intense and personal relationship with the land, and I wish we could have seen a little less of Waikiki and Honolulu and more of, say, Ni'ihau?

OK, admittedly it's the Travel Channel, but it's Bourdain so I watch it for the food. I like the episodes better when they are more about food, and the Hawaii episode struck me as being just about perfect in that regard. My husband watched the episode and sighed, "I want to go back." I think the ep. really captured the Hawaiian eating experience. I loved it that Alan Wong was there but fine dining as such was not showcased-- more the typical Hawaiian flavors.

It might have been cool to see more of the local farming/slow food movement there but you can't cover everything.

Beruit was amazing television. Just amazing. I just can't say the same thing about Romania.

True. Sometimes, when it all goes pear-shaped, it all goes pear-shaped. Might have been a better show if we knew about all the frustrations the crew experienced going in, like if we knew Tony had tried to get into X, Y, Z and was thwarted by the Romanian handlers/locals on the spot. We really only saw him get thwarted at Vlad's statue, and knew only after the fact that Tony got that one what-the-locals-eat stop because he sort of broke away from the herd and just shot it, before his fixers could thwart him further. Romanian fans might still not like seeing their country being portrayed that way, but they could not, at least, deny that it was true to Tony's experience -"Hey, this is what happened." I think the fact that he had Zamir, a Russian, as his only on-camera fixer (there were Romanian ones) and that some of the research wasn't as good as it should have been is really what is hitting a nerve. (Maybe we SHOULD have seen some of local fixers trying to shluff the crew off to the restaurants, etc. THEY thought NR should be seeing, and the resulting conflict between crew and fixers. But, while that would certainly give everyone a greater understanding of the problems the crew faced, I'm not sure it would have made for any better TV, or made irate fans feel any better.) :hmmm:

And yet Bourdain did a two part crossover show with him. Willingly it seems. Do you think that was a momentary bout of bad taste of did he sell out to the Travel Channel overlords?

And yet Bourdain did a two part crossover show with him. Willingly it seems. Do you think that was a momentary bout of bad taste of did he sell out to the Travel Channel overlords?

Hey I like that guy! Sure, he's fat, geeky, and dresses poorly, but he's also knowledgeable and a friendly television personality. I also think he pairs well with Bourdain.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Hey I like that guy! Sure, he's fat, geeky, and dresses poorly, but he's also knowledgeable and a friendly television personality. I also think he pairs well with Bourdain.

Bourdain is TC's #1 star, with the highest-rated show. Of course he was asked to cross-plug/promote another TC personality's show - and remember, he also did a segment for Miami Ink (YC and Discovery were sister channels), too. It comes with the territory. Having said that, while I'm not wild about Zimmern personally (although he IS likeable enough), Tony has remarked he likes the dude. So? He adds a little lustre dust to Zimmern's show, the network is happy, and Tony is OK with it, too. It's not like anyone asked him to go on a Rachael Ray show - now THAT would be a sell-out.

Bourdain is TC's #1 star, with the highest-rated show.  Of course he was asked to cross-plug/promote another TC personality's show - and remember, he also did a segment for Miami Ink (YC and Discovery were sister channels), too.  It comes with the territory.  Having said that, while I'm not wild about Zimmern personally (although he IS likeable enough), Tony has remarked he likes the dude.  So?  He adds a little lustre dust to Zimmern's show, the network is happy, and Tony is OK with it, too.  It's not like anyone asked him to go on a Rachael Ray show - now THAT would be a sell-out.

I think Zimmern is a nice guy, intersting, funny, adventurous and likeable. That said, I can't watch. I am willing to try new food, but (lobster aside) I can't get over the squirms when I watch. I want to be bigger than that. I really do, but I'm a big-ole-baby when it comes to snacking on bugs and it's always going to be that way. I'm forty four and I ain't gonna change in that regard. I understand that they may taste good. I get that whole cultures have grown and thrived as a result of eating things I would not touch. I honor and respect the food cultures of others. I just can't do it.

I also get that there are bugs in my food, on some level, but I'm floating on the river of De Nile and I'm perfectly happy doing so.

Blog.liedel.org

Bourdain is TC's #1 star, with the highest-rated show. Of course he was asked to cross-plug/promote another TC personality's show - and remember, he also did a segment for Miami Ink (YC and Discovery were sister channels), too. It comes with the territory. Having said that, while I'm not wild about Zimmern personally (although he IS likeable enough), Tony has remarked he likes the dude. So? He adds a little lustre dust to Zimmern's show, the network is happy, and Tony is OK with it, too. It's not like anyone asked him to go on a Rachael Ray show - now THAT would be a sell-out.

What about the joint NYC show when Zimmerman's show first started? Wasn't Tony blatantly making fun of him throughout the show? Maybe they've grown closer, but it seemed in that show that Tony really thought he was the dredges of society.

Personally I think he's kind of smarmy. :wink:

I thought the Hawaii episode was good, if harmless and a tad bland. The part with the chefs was good, however.

As for Zimmern, well, I can't stand the guy, I always feel like he's talking down to me, as if he knew better because he doesn't mind putting disgusting things in his mouth. I also sometimes feel like he's talking down to his hosts, which Tony never does (except to Zamir, but that's different).

Cheers! :cool:

What about the joint NYC show when Zimmerman's show first started? Wasn't Tony blatantly making fun of him throughout the show? Maybe they've grown closer, but it seemed in that show that Tony really thought he was the dredges of society.

Personally I think he's kind of smarmy.  :wink:

I DID think Tony's position was one of ironic detachment on the Zimmern show, but I did read in an interview somewhere that Tony "liked him". Hey, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he likes Zimmern, but doesn't like his shtik. Maybe he likes both. I don't know. I'm just saying that, whatever opinion he might have about Zimmern or his show, Tony still cross-plugged and promo'ed Zimmerns's show for the network, like a good team player would. TC has been very good to him, and he's been very good for TC. So - nothing but love. So then you go out and sprinkle some of your world-wide fame, popularity and TV lustre dust on a lesser network host and do your bit for your network. It's standard practice at ANY network. Just business - nothing personal.

The Romania show was SO painful to watch.  It reminded me of a horrible family dinner gone bad when Uncle ____ gets sauced and embarasses everyone.

It was indeed bad as far a No Reservations episodes go, however I found it pretty amusing to watch.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

My second favorite restaurant job, next to running a Hobart dish machine, was two summers as a short order cook during my college days. I have long dreamed of going back to working the line either in my own place or for a few days helping out a friend.

Thank god Tony did it for me. I loved being back in the middle of things, pumped with the intensity of turnout. Vicariously, stretched out on the couch in my 70 degree living room, beer and pretzels within reach.

I TiVo'd the program and set it to permanent save, to replay just in case I ever seriously consider reliving my short order days.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

This episode made me realize how long I have been following Tony's career. It also made me fell old.

I am glad he made it through the shift without any problems. I would have loved to seen him the next morning sore and stiff. I bet he was wiped-out. I am destroyed the next day when I get the screwy notion to go back in the kitchen and pick up a dinner service.

It was nice to see a really good explaination on how a commerical kitchen works in the middle of a dinner service. I wish he spent a little more time on the prep part so people could get a better idea what all is involved in getting a completed dish out the door.

The more I see of Eric Ripert the more he facinates me. He seems like such a nice guy. I wonder if he is as humble as he comes off. For a guy on the top he just seemed to walk in and work along side everyone as just one of the guys.

Go Tony!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

what a great episode! I think Tony did a pretty good job. I wonder if he ever got reading glasses?? (can't recall if we have seen him using them in other episodes).

I think his final comment summed things up well. Working the line really is a young man's game.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

This episode made me realize how long I have been following Tony's career. It also made me fell old.

I am glad he made it through the shift without any problems. I would have loved to seen him the next morning sore and stiff. I bet he was wiped-out. I am destroyed the next day when I get the screwy notion to go back in the kitchen and pick up a dinner service.

It was nice to see a really good explaination on how a commerical kitchen works in the middle of a dinner service. I wish he spent a little more time on the prep part so people could get a better idea what all is involved in getting a completed dish out the door.

The more I see of Eric Ripert the more he facinates me. He seems like such a nice guy. I wonder if he is as humble as he comes off. For a guy on the top he just seemed to walk in and work along side everyone as just one of the guys.

Go Tony!

I think ripert is genuinely a good guy, I mean, what other michelin 3 star chef dresses up as Santa for a reality tv cooking special? :laugh: