• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Can anyone tell me about that creamy white dip made by boiling milk fat and flour?  He seemed to love it more than it deserved.

Could it be Skordalia?

I may be wrong.

nope, not Skordalia (made with garlic, potatoes and olive oil). This was a unique Crete (Cretan?) food item made with goats milk fat (cream I guess) and flour.

Sounded like "tzak"-something. Not tzatziki. I'm going to have to rewind the tape to check.

Having spent some time in Greece and in Crete I thought he captured the place quite well, from the snarky comments on the fashion to the affinity for fish, raki and gunplay.  Quite made me want to go back.

I thought so too.

I love visiting Greece, but not for the food. (The guidebooks tend to say things like, "No one goes to Greece for the food or leaves because of it.") I do enjoy the food when I'm there, for the reasons AB highlighted: the freshness and honest cooking. So I though he handled it pretty well.

I quite liked the Odyssey schtick. The snarking about the dancing (i.e. paid tourist experience), not so much. It seems weird since they chose to do it.

ok, greek guy here, not from crete but i can at least try to help you:

the thing is calles Staka (στακα in greek)

its a bit like a roux, something between butter and cheese

from a site i found these: http://www.gourmet.gr/greek-recipes/show.a...eid=17&arid=698

Ingredients:

To make 3/4 cup Staka:

4 sticks unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Instructions:

Staka is a roux made from the residue of clarified butter with an addition of flour. The ingredients are cooked until thick, all the moisture has evaporated and the mixture turns a pale creamy color.

Staka keeps well in the refrigerator and is used for thickening all sort of dishes including soups and sauces. Place the butter and flour in a small,heavy saucepan and set over low heat. Allow the butter to melt slowly without stirring or browning. Carefully pour the butter through damp cheesecloth into a clean glass jar. (Use for cakes, cookies and phyllo desserts.)

Return floury solids to the pan and cook over low heat until all moisture has evaporated and the residue is cream-colored and fragrant. Store in a small jar in the refrigerator.

i might be wrong here, as tony said thath they used the butterfat from goatmilk and the recipe above is a basic roux i assume they thickened milk with the staka?

i will ask more about it.

ok i asked around.

if you take goats milk (full fat) and boil it, skim the top (the fat) and mix that fat with flour like they did on the show, you have the final product.

but you will need lots of milk.

Edited by Toufas (log)

lol i forgot to ask the most obvious person about this...my own mother

she told me that as a kid they were having this a lot, and that the best one (and only one made in the family to have it as a treat) was from the first milking of the goat, after she has given birth.

not really helpful, unless you are a breeder though :P

lol i forgot to ask the most obvious person about this...my own mother

she told me that as a kid they were having this a lot, and that the best one (and only one made in the family to have it as a treat) was from the first milking of the goat, after she has given birth.

not really helpful, unless you are a breeder though :P

Thanks for sharing. It's actually very helpful in an informative sort of way. My wife explicitly forbids me from owning any livestock in our suburban home :sad: .

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Ummm didn't anyone else notice Mr Crankypants has quit smoking?...I know it was mentioned here somewhere but Greece may have been shot soon after he did that.

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Toufas, thank you for such complete info. It sounds very rich indeed! I'm surprised they'd milk the goat right after it gives birth. I should think the baby goat would need that milk. Or is there some Newborn Kid Stew that I also don't know about! :biggrin:

Bourdain quit smoking? Wow. Well, I heard he had a kid. Not too big a shock.

He quit several months ago - at least six. He used Chantix. He said it wasn't that hard, but added he has gained 8-10 lbs. (Which, BTW, look just fine on him in real life, but since the camera adds another 10, people think he's had a significant weight gain. Not really.)

Wow. Well done Tony. He handled New Orleans' story with sensitivity. A great show.

And how bizarre to see Bourdain hanging out at the po-boy shop down the block from my house.

I enjoyed it very much as I have been fascinated the couple of times I have been to NOLA. And shocked and scared and amused, but that is another story.

I was disappointed that he did not address a question I posed on his site regarding the episode. There was a thread asking for questions posted by the moderator. I remembered reading in one of his books, Cook's Tour I think, that he felt that creole cuisine was "unfinished." I really would be interested to hear an elaboration of that statement. Not to start an arguement mind you, just would like to hear a perspective from someone that did not grow up with the cuisine as a regular item.

Any thoughts here on what he could have meant? He did not say it as a backhand more of a musing.

So who wanted to see Emeril knockout AB last night?

What a great show. Tony clearly showed how food anchors a culture, and how the restaurant workers themselves ARE that anchor. And how, by not rebuilding poor and working class black neighborhoods, by making it as hard as possible for people to return, the government is effectively and collusively "whitewashing" NOLA, and eradicating from it the very people at the heart of such a rich and vibrant culture. And he did it seamlessly - few words, no rhetoric - just a lot of images, and basically let the story tell itself.

I applaud Tony for seeeking out Emeril and Emeril for sitting down with him. Emeril has done tremendous work in not only keeping his own 400 people housed, employed and fed, but also contributed greatly to the rebuilding and resurgence of NOLA as a whole, as have numerous chefs - although, yeah, it did look like Emeril still would liked to drop-kicked Tony, just a bit!

Bravo, Tony. Tu fatto bene.

Just echoing Claudio...... I too was really impressed and touched by this eppisode. My ignorant self had no idea that conditions were as such. As if completely forgotten by FEMA and/or whatever govt assitance/agencies responsible for aid/rebuilding. Sad state of affairs to say the least. Really makes you want to head over and inject some cash into the economy.

I gotta hand it to Tony for reaching out to Emeril and Emeril for accepting. Both realizing that personal b.s. is so trivial when compared to providing insight into this sad situation.

That wasn't chicken

Agreed. Fabulous show. I'm glad they showed it back to back cause I missed the first part and watched it again. I sort of thought I knew the state of affairs, but was shocked to see it on my screen. I've been thinking about heading down for awhile now to do some volunteer work and introduce my husband to the cuisine of the area. Would be great to get a bunch of egulleters to go down for a volunteer/food event.

Dangit, Boudain - you made me start to tear up last night. :sad: The Vancouver episode let me down, but then New Orleans... it was just perfection. Pitch-perfect, so focused, so much information, so human and real. I don't know, but... it affected me much more than a typical episode. I felt AB did such a good job capturing the story of these people, their past, and their concerns for the future. Bravo, Tony, Bravo. This might have been the best episode ever.

Dangit, Boudain - you made me start to tear up last night. :sad:  The Vancouver episode let me down, but then New Orleans... it was just perfection.  Pitch-perfect, so focused, so much information, so human and real.  I don't know, but... it affected me much more than a typical episode.  I felt AB did such a good job capturing the story of these people, their past, and their concerns for the future.  Bravo, Tony, Bravo.  This might have been the best episode ever.

See that's why I like this show. Each episode is different, with a different feel and theme. Sure this is risky and some of them might suck (Vancouver) but then you have perfect ones (NOLA) and quirky funny ones that work (Tuscany) or food lovers' heaven on TV ones (Singapore).... The difference between NR and most of the other food/travel shows is like the difference between indie art house films and Hollywood summer blockbusters. Sure, an indie film might suck, but at least it tried to create something different.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Would be great to get a bunch of egulleters to go down for a volunteer/food event.

That's a great idea! I think you would easily find people willing to go.

And well put Saydee....

I set up this topic in the Louisiana forum to plan a trip/food event. We can brainstorm ideas and find a suitable time.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I applaud Tony for seeeking out Emeril and Emeril for sitting down with him.  Emeril has done tremendous work in not only keeping his own 400 people housed, employed and fed, but also contributed greatly to the rebuilding and resurgence of NOLA as a whole, as have numerous chefs - although, yeah, it did look like Emeril still would liked to drop-kicked Tony, just a bit!

Emeril is lot more low-key in person than he is on camera, but there was an undercurrent menace there. Bourdain is lucky Emeril is a good key, because I'm pretty sure who would win in that fight.

I'm surprised the show didn't mention that Emeril's foundation has given $500,000 to Café Reconcile for a new culinary center. It will provide students with advanced training beyond the current program at Café Reconcile.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Would be great to get a bunch of egulleters to go down for a volunteer/food event.

That's a great idea! I think you would easily find people willing to go.

And well put Saydee....

I set up this topic in the Louisiana forum to plan a trip/food event. We can brainstorm ideas and find a suitable time.

Thanks for starting this thread. I am definately interested in getting involved.

The New Orleans episode was great. It was reverent, respectful, and even inspiring. Amazing work Tony.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali