• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Looking at the schedule on the Travel Channel website, it appears that the new season starts on 1/14 at 10pm with an episode in Berlin. At least I don't remember Berlin from previous shows. And that's followed the following week with Vancouver.

Not sure why Tivo isn't showing it -- this might be one to record by time and not title.

Looking at the schedule on the Travel Channel website, it appears that the new season starts on 1/14 at 10pm with an episode in Berlin.  At least I don't remember Berlin from previous shows.  And that's followed the following week with Vancouver.

Not sure why Tivo isn't showing it -- this might be one to record by time and not title.

My Season Pass is picking up the Berlin episode on 1/14. It shows an original air date of 1/14/2008. So, that is a new show for sure. When was the last time your TiVo got guide data?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

My wife and I just watched Cleveland, Argentina and Hong Kong. Fantastic.

I will go on record and say it's the most entertaining "food show" I've ever watched. Without exception, I have learned and laughed tremendously during each and every episode.

I'm not sure why it's so good for me - the host is like a weird older uncle who's been around the block (several times) but remains cynically sincere. And there is something brilliant about the editing - there are these subtle looks and innuendo in between the more obvious shots that just crack me up.

Come to Halifax Tony!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Looking at the schedule on the Travel Channel website, it appears that the new season starts on 1/14 at 10pm with an episode in Berlin.  At least I don't remember Berlin from previous shows.  And that's followed the following week with Vancouver.

My Season Pass is picking up the Berlin episode on 1/14. It shows an original air date of 1/14/2008. So, that is a new show for sure. When was the last time your TiVo got guide data?

The "Travel Channel" television station and the "Travel Channel" website are both advertising that the all-new season (Season 4) of "No Reservations" with Tony Bourdain begins tonight on Monday, January 7th at 10:00 p.m. with an episode in Singapore.

Subsequent episodes will also premiere on Monday evenings at 10:00 p.m. (with reruns scheduled to air on Mondays at 11:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 2:00 a.m., and Saturdays at 1:00 p.m.): Berlin, Germany on January 14th; Vancouver, British Columbia on January 21st; Crete & Ithika, Greek Islands on January 28th; New Orleans, Louisiana on February 4th (just in time for Mardi Gras); and London/Edinburgh, United Kingdom on February 11th.

According to Wikipedia, episodes in Laos, Hawaii, Romania, Columbia, Tokyo, and Jamaica are supposed to be announced at a later date, but I have not seen this information listed anywhere else, although Bourdain's blog has notes from Hawaii and Jamaica, where he has evidently been filming for the past couple of months.

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

I also saw an ad in Entertainment Weekly saying that tonight's Singapore Episode is a new one. Tivo thinks it's a repeat -- so you DVR people might want to go in and add this one manually. The ad referred to Tony eating shark head soup, among other things.

Can't wait!

I also saw an ad in Entertainment Weekly saying that tonight's Singapore Episode is a new one.  Tivo thinks it's a repeat -- so you DVR people might want to go in and add this one manually.  The ad referred to Tony eating shark head soup, among other things.

Can't wait!

My DVR says that tonight's episode is Number 56 and was originally dated 11/07/07, which is totally incorrect, because Singapore is a new episode. So be forewarned and manually set your DVR's to record the premiere episode of the new season tonight!

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

I also saw an ad in Entertainment Weekly saying that tonight's Singapore Episode is a new one.  Tivo thinks it's a repeat -- so you DVR people might want to go in and add this one manually.  The ad referred to Tony eating shark head soup, among other things.

Can't wait!

My DVR says that tonight's episode is Number 56 and was originally dated 11/07/07, which is totally incorrect, because Singapore is a new episode. So be forewarned and manually set your DVR's to record the premiere episode of the new season tonight!

Thanks!

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

That molecular gastronomy Singapore restaurant (Aurum) was...bizarre. I completely agree with Anthony's dinner companion who stated that a restaurant which so pointedly highlights death and disease, by having patrons dine in wheelchairs, isn't likely to be terribly popular with the average person in that culture.

Given how much Tony loved his meal at El Bulli, and respects Ferran Adria, the fact that he found so many of the items at that restaurant to be unpalatable really doesn't speak well of the place. Nice that he gave the place props for being experimental and taking a risk, but I certainly wouldn't eat there based upon what I saw.

Now, the red dye #5 marrow meal with flesh-eating crabs? THAT I'd like to try! I'd also book the Hyatt and eat at the restaurant. Who knew?

Edited by ThatGrrl (log)

Can't wait!

Thanks for the heads up. I did have to select it manually to get TiVo to record and it was the first of the new season. New intro with more tricky computer effects.

Anyway, the sheer volume of amazing looking food had my wife thinking of canceling our anniversary trip to Hawaii and booking Singapore. Ha! Even at the Hyatt!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

That molecular gastronomy Singapore restaurant (Aurum)  was...bizarre.  I completely agree with Anthony's dinner companion who stated that a restaurant which so pointedly highlights death and disease, by having patrons dine in wheelchairs, isn't likely to be terribly popular with the average person in that culture.

This was one hell of a food filled awsome episode. Thoroughly enjoyable. As for the 'experimental restaurant', is it really confined to that culture? I doubt I'd eat at a place built to evoke a hospital even if Adria is cooking! What a turn off no matter what culture you are from. There is a big line (not even a fine line) between 'experimental' and 'disgustingly morbid'

Now, about those corpse eating crabs. THEY looked like good eating :smile:

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

As for the 'experimental restaurant', is it really confined to that culture? I doubt I'd eat at a place built to evoke a hospital even if Adria is cooking!

What's worse is that within the pictures on the Travel Channel, for this episode, Tony remarks that they serve the bread in bedpans. Either I missed that during the show, or this is information that I didn't need, anyway. Eww.

Edited by ThatGrrl (log)

As for the 'experimental restaurant', is it really confined to that culture? I doubt I'd eat at a place built to evoke a hospital even if Adria is cooking!

What's worse is that within the pictures on the Travel Channel, for this episode, Tony remarks that they serve the bread in bedpans. Either I missed that during the show, or this is information that I didn't need, anyway. Eww.

Arghhhhhhh!!! Why oh why???

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Now, the red dye #5 marrow meal with flesh-eating crabs?  THAT I'd like to try!  I'd also book the Hyatt and eat at the restaurant.  Who knew?

ANY of the chili-crab configurations! And the duck! And - oh, jeez, EVERYTHING. I'd just gavage my way through the whole city-state. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion of the new season of NR, I think it has been really really great so far, light years better than some of the weak episodes of last season.

Vancouver last night was awesome.

Nari Kye.... :wub: ...cuter than a basket of baby koalas.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Vancouver, eh? Can't wait.

I rely on this thread to keep me up to date on AB:NR. So please, all of you, keep the discussions coming!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Funny, my take on it (being a Vancouverite) was that this was a by the numbers visit. You could have taken any Frommer's or upscale tourist guide and chosen these restaurants (especially the Sooke Harbour House).

The only slightly quirky place he visited was Japadog which is a great little hot dog stand in front of a major downtown hotel.

Not that the restaurants that he visited (Cioppino's, Tojo's, and Vij's) are not worthy, they absolutely are but they are the ones that have been done by every travel writer for the last few years.

That there was nothing done on our incredible Chinese restaurant scene is almost beyond belief.

I would have hoped for a mix of the obvious along with a couple of the savvy insider places.

I agree with you, eatrustic. I am a big fan of No Reservations, and especially of Tony's writings and observations, but I was disappointed with the Vancouver episode.

Perhaps it's true that the hardest to please are the locals, but as you said, while Tojo's, Sooke, Cioppino's and Vij's/Rangoli are certainly worthy, covering them is certainly nothing new, and Tony's friendship with the chefs wasn't a unique enough angle to make it interesting in that "you couldn't find this on your own, throw-the-curtains-back" way that I love about No Reservations.

I actually remember the unfortunate July week when the crew was in town, because I had friends visiting who had flown in on the same flight -- and it was a terribly miserable stretch of seven or so days of cold, pouring rain. Very unusual for July.

But why would they even plan to go skiing/snowboarding in Whistler in July in the first place? (Also, that ziptrek place has been publicity gold since it opened -- I swear it's in every show I've seen about Vancouver/Whistler for the past few years. Lucky them, I guess.)

I know, you can't have everything. But I really wish less time had been spent on the Uwe Boll/EA-type segments which really don't say much about the flavour of Vancouver. Yes, the film industry employs a lot of people (well, at least for now). Yes, EA's gym and squash courts are cool, but...

I mean, I love Vikram Vij. Just thinking about his lamb popsicles makes my mouth water. And those scallop-stuffed tempura zucchini blossoms by Tojo? Wow. But what about the non four-star restaurant scene? The Chinese night market or the hole-in-the-wall Asian places that give the city its flair? The vibrant gay scene? I could go on and on.

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I understand your disappointment, I'm sure the show barely touched the tip of the iceberg regarding Vancouver. It seems like almost everyone has that reaction when No Reservations covers their city. I can remember the Seattle episode sparked similar disappointment among the locals. However, I was scouring the internet the following day to plan a trip to Vancouver. I guess the episode worked for me!

I agree with MikeM. I saw the show as well and as soon as it was over I was texting my friends to see if they wanted to plan a trip.

Eatrustic and Xando Head, I think the Chinatown thing works like this; most major cities have a Chinatown that are probably dynamic in their own little way. I'm sure Bourdain could do a show that simply focuses on the Chinatown of the city he's currently in. That could get redundant, and he's more into the indigineous thing anyway. Many cities have a Chinatown, but not a Sooke Harbour House or that ziptrek thing, which looked awesome by the way. Just my two cents.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Thoughts on the new batch so far:

Singapore: Another stellar episode in Asia. Half the fun is watching how genuinely giddy AB gets when he's there. It's a good thing these shows air so late or we'd be ordering takeout before the first commercial break.

Berlin Sandwiched between the Singapore ep and Vancouver which he also clearly enjoys, it becomes all the more obvious when Bourdain's less keen with his locale. The end riff on cabaret shows was funny. Most of the food looked good but how much sausage can you eat?

Vancouver How cute is Nari? I really liked this episode, lots of out-loud laughs. The "reaction" to eating Tojo's sushi is so spot-on. I love how technically accomplished the show is getting and how they're more willing to try new things and be more off-the-wall. And boy did he let Uwe Boll off easy.

I'll admit it, I'm generally first in line to drink the Bourdain Kool-Aid, and while I still consider the new season light years beyond most FoodTV or Travel Channel programming, I'm just not connecting with it.

I can't really put my finger on any one thing that has changed my opinion, maybe it is just the progression of the pre-planned/over-produced vibe throughout the seasons. There always seems to be some running gag that makes me wonder "where in the hell is Tony?".......like the whole prima donna umbrella/hotel room schtick (which is probably similar to complaints about the constant Inferno references in the Tuscany episode....which didn't bother me at the time). It comes off like the network powers-that-be won't give an episode their blessing without some kind of demographically-proven formula....."you have to include something about him getting older, likes meat, his smoking has greatly diminished his lung capacity, he is constantly experiencing the growing pains that go along with fame, and if you can include something where his testicles are in jeopardy we're not DEMANDING that, but it would be nice".

I know part of my disappointment comes from the fact that, like most people here, I can NEVER get enough food content, so I have a hard time resolving the fact that this is the Travel Channel. And I'm generally a pretty cynical bastard...which is what made me love Tony's style in the first place, so a lot of the content just comes off as canned cynicism. Anyway, it's not like I'm going to stop watching the show or anything.....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I understand your disappointment, I'm sure the show barely touched the tip of the iceberg regarding Vancouver.  It seems like almost everyone has that reaction when No Reservations covers their city.  I can remember the Seattle episode sparked similar disappointment among the locals.  However, I was scouring the internet the following day to plan a trip to Vancouver.  I guess the episode worked for me!

Living in Seattle and having grown up part of the time in Whistler, I was definetly unhappy with the Vancouver episode. Yes the Seattle ep. was a wee bit dissapointing, but I think only in that it didn't open my eyes to anything new--because it was in my own city (and that we only got half an episode...but that is a gripe for a different time). I see singapore, hong kong, shanghai, I'm ready to book a flight. So I was looking forward to the Vancouver episode. I was imagining scheduling new stops in my trip up to whistler, unheard of cute little places, things I didn't know before. And he shows up at Tojos, Vij's and freakin Japadog? These are nothing new. He didn't even bother to eat in Whistler. I was thinking a piece on Sushi Village and how it is a relic from when the Yen was strong...But my point is there was nothing that really said 'TONY' about the episode. Not everyone gets the opportunity to go geoduck clamming or to spend a day with the kalahari tribe eating warthog anus, but anyone can eat at Cioppino or do the ziptrek.

I was dissapointed.

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

I tend to feel a little sorry for Bourdain ... he began his television career making a name for himself eating wildly crazy food (i.e., still beating cobra heart etc). Now people expect Tony to eat this stuff. It seems to me like he's trying to get beyond this, but unfortunately I don't think he can escape the label.

Maybe the Vancouver episode is more Bourdain than many of his fans would like to believe. If you look at his reaction to eating Tojo's sushi - looked to me like Bourdain was certainly enjoying himself.

Of course, I don't know him - so everything I said above is likely BS...

Wait - who the hell can feel sorry for someone who has a job like Bourdains? OK - so everything I just said above is completely BS! :biggrin: