• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

The only thing he might have addressed was the floating restaurants in Aberdeen, where your dinner is still swimming around in tanks under the restaurant/boat, but I thought the typhoon crab segment might have made up for it.

I thought about that, too, but decided since the floating restaurants are pretty famous, maybe he decided to avoid them.

Also, I thought I heard somewhere that the two largest and most famous had been moved from Aberdeen. Do you know?

Jaymers, I checked with a friend in HK, and, yes, the floating restaurant is still in business - in Aberdeen. It's called the Jumbo, and if you Google "aberdeen floating restaurant" you will see it come up in all its glory . . .

Hi,

Travelling gastronomes might want to take note - Jumbo and the other floating behemoths in Aberdeen are widely regarded as tourist traps. Living in HK 8+ years, I've never heard a local - or in fact, anyone - talk about going there.

Fresh seafood, still swimming until minutes before it reaches your plate, is a common feature of restaurants in China, particularly HK & southern/eastern coastal China. Better quality, more authentic preparations, usually at cheaper prices can be found in many, many other HK restaurants.

For fresh seafood, try either of the two ports on Lamma island - Yung Shue Wan or Sok Kwu Wan; various seaside places on Lantau island, including the villages of Mui Wo & Tai O; the outer islands of Cheung Chau and Peng Chau; Lei Yue Mun, east of the old Kai Tak airport, and Lau Fau Shan and Sai Kung in the New Territories. There are many other fishing villages scattered around the New Territories, but a visitor would have a bit of difficulty reaching/finding them.

All the above-mentioned locales feature a similar set-up. Simple restaurants with outdoor seating along the harborfront. Pick your seafood from tanks & pails, agree on preparation method for each, pick a few accompanying dishes from the menu, and enjoy.

In Sai Kung, watch out for shysters - they'll swap a frozen fish for the one you've chosen and they'll start pouring your beer into glasses before it reaches your table. What they try to do is sell you 3/4 of a large bottle of beer. Have the bottle opened at your table.

The only thing he might have addressed was the floating restaurants in Aberdeen, where your dinner is still swimming around in tanks under the restaurant/boat, but I thought the typhoon crab segment might have made up for it.

I thought about that, too, but decided since the floating restaurants are pretty famous, maybe he decided to avoid them.

Also, I thought I heard somewhere that the two largest and most famous had been moved from Aberdeen. Do you know?

Jaymers, I checked with a friend in HK, and, yes, the floating restaurant is still in business - in Aberdeen. It's called the Jumbo, and if you Google "aberdeen floating restaurant" you will see it come up in all its glory . . .

Hi,

Travelling gastronomes might want to take note - Jumbo and the other floating behemoths in Aberdeen are widely regarded as tourist traps. Living in HK 8+ years, I've never heard a local - or in fact, anyone - talk about going there.

Fresh seafood, still swimming until minutes before it reaches your plate, is a common feature of restaurants in China, particularly HK & southern/eastern coastal China. Better quality, more authentic preparations, usually at cheaper prices can be found in many, many other HK restaurants.

Nothing new until January, bummer

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

So I finally saw the Cleveland episode, it was replayed last night. Pretty good, though I do wonder at the cassoulet Tony made. He seemed to place the skin around the edges of the dish, something I'd never seen (and I make cassoulet at least 2x a winter).

That chili place, however, looked vile. I almost retched at all the supernaturally yellow cheese.

Cheers! :cool:

So I finally saw the Cleveland episode, it was replayed last night.  Pretty good, though I do wonder at the cassoulet Tony made.  He seemed to place the skin around the edges of the dish, something I'd never seen (and I make cassoulet at least 2x a winter).

That chili place, however, looked vile.  I almost retched at all the supernaturally yellow cheese.

Cheers!  :cool:

If I recall correctly, when TB made cassoulet at a cooking demo last fall, the skin lined the inside of the cassoulet dish, but did not overhang it. I have to check the LH cookbook again - the handout he circulated at that gig was right out of the cookbook, but I know I didn't hang skin over the sides of the vessel when I made it at home.

The chili had me heaving. Spaghetti, chili and orange cheese? Poor Ruhlman looked like was going to toss his cookies. Ruhlman will NOT be making an appearance on Bizarre Foods or Fear Factor anytime soon, obviously . . . ! :laugh:

So I finally saw the Cleveland episode, it was replayed last night.  Pretty good, though I do wonder at the cassoulet Tony made.  He seemed to place the skin around the edges of the dish, something I'd never seen (and I make cassoulet at least 2x a winter).

That chili place, however, looked vile.  I almost retched at all the supernaturally yellow cheese.

I managed to stay awake and see the whole show myself. It was funny. That cassoulet looked awesome.

And I have a can of skyline chili in my cabinet that I pull out to tease my Ohio wife when we discuss chili. Even she thinks that stuff is nasty, but her chili is like Wendy's or something. Terrible.

And of course she hates mine, that is made the right way.

Vinotas,

There is a very large and excellent cassoulet discussion that features Paula Wolfert's Toulousian Cassoulet from her book "The Cooking of Southwest France".

Cassoulet Discussion

This recipe uses pork skin to line the cooking vessel. I have prepared this cassoulet a few times and it is wonderful.

Tim

Vinotas,

There is a very large and excellent cassoulet discussion that features Paula Wolfert's Toulousian Cassoulet from her book "The Cooking of Southwest France".

Cassoulet Discussion

This recipe uses pork skin to line the cooking vessel. I have prepared this cassoulet a few times and it is wonderful.

Tim

Oh, I imagine it's crazily good, but I make cassoulet a lot and never heard of it being lined like that. When the new oven gets put in, I'll try it.

I managed to stay awake and see the whole show myself. It was funny. That cassoulet looked awesome.

And I have a can of skyline chili in my cabinet that I pull out to tease my Ohio wife when we discuss chili. Even she thinks that stuff is nasty, but her chili is like Wendy's or something. Terrible.

And of course she hates mine, that is made the right way.

If anyone wants to see a dissertation on Skyline Chili

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/10...-indians-chili/

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tim

Oh, I imagine it's crazily good, but I make cassoulet a lot and never heard of it being lined like that. 

Are you in Tampa?

I need to get in on that action!!

:raz:

Sorry, in NYC, but with this weather (70-80F) and my oven on the fritz, cassoulet will have to wait until the new kitchen is done (sometime in 2012, I'm assured...). :blink:

My TiVo picked up the re-run of the Cleveland epsiode. So, I watched it again. The Skyline Chilli scene was even more hysterical the second time around. Tony really stuck it to Ruhlman there.

I wonder how much footage was shot in ruhlaman's kitchen (and back at the market) where they prepared the dinner?

I know it would never fly, but I would love, love, love to see a one of special of that meal being prepared in detail. From the buthering of the pig, to Ruhlman making the pate to Bourdain making the cassoulet. I want to see all the steps. Cooking the beans, making the duck leg confit. Everything. It would be very educational. And vastly entertaining to those of us who really like Tony and Michael. The two of them together is great TV.

(oh yeah... I'm going to Cleveland next Friday. Already have a reso for dinner at Lola :) )

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

(oh yeah... I'm going to Cleveland next Friday.  Already have a reso  for dinner at Lola :)  )

What, no Skyline Chili for you? :raz:

:biggrin:

Nope. Just Lola and hopefully Velvet Tango Room

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Happen to catch the Hong Kong episode the other night which I hadn't seen before. Really great episode, that type of place really seems to be the type of place Tony really lives for.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I haven't been able to watch any of the shows (still in Japan, and I don't have Discovery or Travel Channel), and I haven't found much about the Osaka show. On the Travel Channel website, there are pictures from his being in Osaka, but there's no travel guide for it.

Has the episode actually aired, and if it has, where did he go? I only know about Koyoshi Sushi.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for the Montreal episode to replay. The one episode I missed; the one they never replay. I even e-mailed them.

What did they do lose the tape.

Love AB, but I can't watch the same 6 episodes (Mexico, Vietnam, China, Lebanon....) repeated over, and over, and over, and over.

• 1 month later...

i have all of these episodes at my disposal. ya know, if anyone wants a DVD or something :P Or if you live in San Diego, we can have a marathon.

p.s. To Mr. Anthony Bourdain and any and all members of The Discovery Channel, Travel Channel, Food Network, their parent companies or subsidiairies.. concerning these episodes: I, uh, found them.

I've never eaten a Hot Pocket and thought "I'm glad I ate that."

They appear to be doing a marathon of sorts next Monday (Jan 7, 2008) running episodes all day.

Anyone know when the new episodes start? I saw a print ad that said Jan 1 and the travel channel website ads say Jan 7, but I see no new episodes showing up in the TiVo schedule or on the Travel Channel website schedule.

Just curious, hoping to avoid something like the name change debacle that happened a couple years ago, if that's what's up.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA