• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

if you're talking about the farm tony visits, it's 'bobolink dairy'. its website is www.cowsoutside.com  :smile:

really! thanks for the link. this looked to be a very interesting operation. some nice folks, indeed.

I think it was in one of Tony's books he said something to the effect that "Butchers are always funny; fishmongers are not." :hmmm:

I think maybe we could add that cheesemakers are always "nice folks"? :smile:

SB (now, distillers and brewers .... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an aside, I made the chili pepper stuffed bacon wrapped chicken rolls that is basted with teriyaki sauce, from the Tex Mex show.

Man that makes a great dish for the grill!

A cold beer, horseradish smashed potatoes and grilled asparagas and I was all set.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 5 weeks later...

I wish they would replay the Montreal episode. The only one I've missed.

Seems like they never will as they have run several other episodes multiple times since then.

• 1 month later...

Caught this tid-bit online. Those of us with VOD will get a head start on season 3:

Travel Channel will debut new episodes of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations on VOD July 13, two weeks before season three premiers on air July 30 at 10 pm ET/PT. Anthony is going to New York, Brazil, French Polynesia, Cleveland, Hong Kong, Argentina, Charleston and Tuscany this season.

Hmmm....3 domestic shows this season. Guess they're is cutting Tony's budget. I wonder if that means we can look forward to hatchet jobs on Discovery Communications on Ruhlman's blog in the near future. That would be cool.

My nephew's wife, who works for Discovery, said that Travel Channel has been bought by Cox Communications, for whatever that may mean.

Well, Tony has never done NY for NR, and he was dared to do Cleveland by Ruhlman (on the ruhlman.com blog, January archives, I believe), but I don't know why he's picked Charleston. I still don't think it's budgetary, though. Because, as God was his witness, Tony did not and was not ever going to do what the Food Network wanted him to do with A Cook's Tour - i.e., do the great backyard-BBQs-across-America kind of show. From what I understand, TC's been pretty generous with the NR budget . . . I guess we'll see about Cox, huh?

Definitely not (!) Tony is not seeing anyone - he is happily married to an Italian model, and they are the ecstatic parents of a baby girl born in April.

Claudia, I'm not a model! Everything else is absolutely correct. Thanx.

Just as an aside, I made the chili pepper stuffed bacon wrapped chicken rolls that is basted with teriyaki sauce, from the Tex Mex show.

Man that makes a great dish for the grill!

A cold beer, horseradish smashed potatoes and grilled asparagas and I was all set.

Does anyone know when this one might repeat?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Definitely not (!) Tony is not seeing anyone - he is happily married to an Italian model, and they are the ecstatic parents of a baby girl born in April.

Claudia, I'm not a model! Everything else is absolutely correct. Thanx.

Well, you are certainly lovely and slender enough to be one, having seen you a few times at some of Tony's NY gigs. Mi dispiace e mi scusa, signora - that naughty Ruhlman described you as a model from Milan in his original Tony's 50th Birthday Party post on megnuts.com :wub:

My nephew's wife, who works for Discovery, said that Travel Channel has been bought by Cox Communications, for whatever that may mean.

Last night I noticed on FoodTV that they were doing promos for Discovery Channel shows. Now, normally it seems that networks only promote other networks owned by their parent company, right? So (if that is the case) does that mean FTV and Discovery are now affiliated? And wouldn't this mean potentially not-good things for the quality of Discovery shows, Anthony's in particular? Sorry to take this to such a worrisome extreme, but that's the first thing that popped into my mind.

Well, the Travel Channel is now owned by Cox Communications, no longer by Discovery. I will check with my "inside source" at Discovery again and see what I can find out.

Last night I noticed on FoodTV that they were doing promos for Discovery Channel shows. Now, normally it seems that networks only promote other networks owned by their parent company, right? So (if that is the case) does that mean FTV and Discovery are now affiliated? And wouldn't this mean potentially not-good things for the quality of Discovery shows, Anthony's in particular? Sorry to take this to such a worrisome extreme, but that's the first thing that popped into my mind.

Wrong!

Business as usual!

Bigger budget!!!

More creative control!

Wrong!

Business as usual!

Bigger budget!!!

More creative control!

Whew. Good to hear. Thanks.

Tony's is the top-rated show on TC. He cross-promotes OTHER people's shows, you notice (Bizarre Foods, Miami Ink, etc.) Right now, he's the 800 lb. gorilla at the network. Glad to hear Pat Yonge is throwing lots of money at him and zeropointzero. Please, Tony - proceed full-steam with your Master Plan for World (OK, just Food TV) Domination!!

Thanks for The Word, Beth.

It's probably a local insert from your cable provider, not a network spot. Discovery and Food are still seperate companies. Food is owned by Scripps which also owns Fine Living (BTW - Molto Mario has popped up there recently), DIY, HGTV and rather incongruously GAC.

• 2 weeks later...