• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

does anyone know if/when season 2 of no reservations will be released on iTunes...

I dunno, but I wish they'd release seasons 1 and 2 on something other than iTunes or DVDs that are $10 for two eps. The first is annoying because I can only watch it on my slow-ass laptop or my iPod, and I just plain can't afford the second. (If I could, I would, believe me.) Travel Channel, are you listening?

Eh. Prolly not. If they were listening to me, there'd be an all-Bourdain, all the time channel by now. :raz:

There is this from amazon it's four disc box set.

Amazon.com: No Reservations (4pc): DVD: Anthony Bourdain

http://www.amazon.com/No-Reservations-4pc-...6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

does anyone know if/when season 2 of no reservations will be released on iTunes...

I dunno, but I wish they'd release seasons 1 and 2 on something other than iTunes or DVDs that are $10 for two eps. The first is annoying because I can only watch it on my slow-ass laptop or my iPod, and I just plain can't afford the second. (If I could, I would, believe me.) Travel Channel, are you listening?

Eh. Prolly not. If they were listening to me, there'd be an all-Bourdain, all the time channel by now. :raz:

Cool, thanks!

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

Did he have to throw a fish? He could have gone down to mutual or over to fisheman's terminal. And God I wanted him to crash into Carsberg at Lampreia. Now that would have been fun though maybe Scott wouldn't let him in the door? I liked the geoduck bit. Most of us who are from there have no idea how to handle them. The coffee thing is pretty played out in the media but the fact of the matter is that there's great coffee to be had all over the city. If I were filming it I would have had a shot here, shoot a segment, a shot there, shoot some more. And so on. Until you throw up or have to have some drinks at Zig Zag to calm down again. Or alternately eat some salmon soup at Emmet Watson's while drinking pints of Full Sail. I miss Seattle.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Because Food Network owns the rights to A Cooks Tour. If you look at the direction they are going, and Tony spouting off at SoBe last weekend about many of their stars, ( as some were signing books just yards away.) I don't think that a rerun of A Cooks Tour on FN is likely. :hmmm:

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

You can always try going this route.

No additional help on "that" is forthcoming :biggrin:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

For those of you interested in Singapore and its food......

Anthony Bourdain was spotted filming at a Malay food stall at Bussorah Street at Beach Road in Singapore. Can't wait to see what else he is covering this time round. The 1.5 episodes on Singapore on A Cook's Tour did not really cover the quintessential Singaporean food.

The majority of Singaporeans would not even count those places he went as 'regular' places.

Lets hope he gets more 'local' this time round.

The majority of Singaporeans would not even count those places he went as 'regular' places.

I think he went to Tien Tien (Tian Tian?) in one of those shows--whenever I've been there it's had a loooooooong line of mostly Singaporeans. Wouldn't that count as a "regular" place?

Hmmm, from what I recall, he did not feature Tian Tian chicken rice at Maxwell on his show, but covered it in a magazine article. He instead ate Chicken Rice in Malaysia.

Of course, debating on which food is the best and who does the best this or that is pointless, and yes, there are lines at Tian Tian but hardly a household name. Of course...that point can also be debated! Of course, a household name would be Boon Tong Kee Hainanese Chicken Rice at Balestier Road.

By the way, Tian Tian got full marks in Seetoh's Makansutra Singapore food guide, a very useful guide, but being Singaporean......of course we do not agree with what is said half the time! :laugh:

What I'm trying to get at is, where is the Fried Hokkien Mee, or Nasi Lemak or Curried Fish Head, Char Kway Teow or Carrot cake...many many dishes that are often imitated overseas but hardly recreated. I won't speak for other Singaporeans but these are the dishes that define Singapore for me. Chinese, Malay and Indian dishes that define us as a country, as our unified culture.

Why did Anthony's editor bring him to Tekka market to eat Prata at Thasevi's? Ask any Singaporean where to get prata and they will say Jalan Kayu. That place is SYNONYMOUS with prata! Singaporeans will drive from one end of the island to the other to have a late night prata there, even though we have late night prata stores all over the island.

These also happen to be the dishes that Singaporeans miss the most when they go live overseas. While they were spending inordinate amounts of money eating seafood at Sin Huat eating house in Geylang, they overlooked the Frog Porridge and Beef Hor Fun there.

It may not be the best there is (Fame has its effect on quality!), but I bet a majority of Singaporeans will know it other than Sin Huat.

Sorry for the long message, but I think Anthony Bourdain summed it up best when he wrote that he was amazed when his audience of Singaporean foodies started arguing with one another at the World Gourmet Summit about where to get the best chicken rice.

Food and arguing about food. The simple pleasures of Singapore!

Sorry for the long message, but I think Anthony Bourdain summed it up best when he wrote that he was amazed when his audience of Singaporean foodies started arguing with one another at the World Gourmet Summit about where to get the best chicken rice. 

Food and arguing about food.  The simple pleasures of Singapore!

It happens everywhere - go into any respectable town in Texas and ask where the best barbecue is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

If  you look at the direction they are going, and Tony spouting off at SoBe last weekend about many of their stars, ( as some were signing books just yards away.) I don't think that a rerun of A Cooks Tour on FN is likely. :hmmm:

What? What is this about? I would love to hear what he was saying. :laugh:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Okay Bourdain, obviously you won't be going back to Namibia anytime soon. You look tired and a bit road worn. Then to be presented the best of what the tribe eats was exactly as you aptly put it: gritty grainy yechhhhh!    :blink:  :shock:  Man I understand bushmen and all but come on, buy a pan or two!

My hats off to you. I know I could not have gotten through it. And certainly not as eloquently as you.

Still trying to figure out why they didn't just put those ostrich eggs on the fire and eat roasted egg instead of having to pick the sand and embers off that cow patty looking thing. No pan needed to improve on their technique. I guess that says a lot about tradition.

Um... Because then the empty egg shell can be used as a vessel for carrying water?

Edited by rcianci (log)

Cool, thanks!

I'm watching (into the Jungle) the dvd set that I got for amazon and it's good. The only grip I have is I wish there where some extras for the the set that you would want.

Like etxra footage and maybe an audio commutary and the like.

Now all we need is A Cook's Tour on dvd.

Edited by Cigar2 (log)

If  you look at the direction they are going, and Tony spouting off at SoBe last weekend about many of their stars, ( as some were signing books just yards away.) I don't think that a rerun of A Cooks Tour on FN is likely. :hmmm:

What? What is this about? I would love to hear what he was saying. :laugh:

A rerun of A Cook's Tour is highly unlikely given that he and the network split on basically very tumultuous terms, as outlined in the endnotes of The Nasty Bits. The reason why the Ferran Adria episode ran as a separate show (and not part of A Cook's Tour, and why my DVR missed it... sigh) is because it was supposed to be episode 1 of season 3, and Food Network wanted him to stop traveling to overseas destinations and cover things like tailgate barbecues.

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/bourdain/bio/bio.html

"Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations returns in the Summer of 2007 with all new episodes!"

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/bourdain/bio/bio.html

"Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations  returns in the Summer of 2007 with all new episodes!"

As correctly pointed out above, the Travel Channel is running a split season 3 - or a "mini-season 3" and a "mini-season 4" in the same year, if you prefer - of about 5 shows each, as opposed the usual 8-show season every January. Why? I don't know. Could be a scheduling/production issue, or could be a Tony scheduling issue. I do know he's trying finish his next book right now, and did want to take a break at some point, but I don't know that those are the actual reasons.

Anyone know the name of the Cheese place in the NJ show. That looked like some great cheese.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren