• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Absolutely brutal.

Last night's episode would have been a really good one for Tony to incorporate a cheesy "guest chef/sidekick" aspect to the show. I was wondering if a certain food personality would be able to muster a "YUM-O!" with a moutful of charred digestive tract.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Absolutely brutal. 

Last night's episode would have been a really good one for Tony to incorporate a cheesy "guest chef/sidekick" aspect to the show.  I was wondering if a certain food personality would be able to muster a "YUM-O!" with a moutful of charred digestive tract.

Put a little EVOO on it and that's good eatin', man.

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

does anyone know if/when season 2 of no reservations will be released on iTunes...

I dunno, but I wish they'd release seasons 1 and 2 on something other than iTunes or DVDs that are $10 for two eps. The first is annoying because I can only watch it on my slow-ass laptop or my iPod, and I just plain can't afford the second. (If I could, I would, believe me.) Travel Channel, are you listening?

Eh. Prolly not. If they were listening to me, there'd be an all-Bourdain, all the time channel by now. :raz:

"d00d where r u???"

As I was watching the Nambia episode I kept wondering if his good friend from Uzbekistan was watching it and laughing hysterically with that evil laugh! Or maybe he had something to do with the stops you made?

Very interesting and thought provoking.

Best wishes,

Melinda

I was watching this while cooking dinner.

Best diet tool ever!

LOL For me it's kind of the opposite effect. I've been a picky eater most of my life, but I'm trying to change. Every time I start having a picky impulse, I think, "Well, God, if Tony can eat a warthog anus, I can try the funny-looking mushroom." :biggrin:

"d00d where r u???"

does anyone know if/when season 2 of no reservations will be released on iTunes...

I dunno, but I wish they'd release seasons 1 and 2 on something other than iTunes or DVDs that are $10 for two eps. The first is annoying because I can only watch it on my slow-ass laptop or my iPod, and I just plain can't afford the second. (If I could, I would, believe me.) Travel Channel, are you listening?

Eh. Prolly not. If they were listening to me, there'd be an all-Bourdain, all the time channel by now. :raz:

I just popped over to eBay, and if you search 'No Reservations Bourdain", you can order some of the DVD's at $4.99 "Buy it Now" (plus shipping) from the Discovery Store, as well as some up for bid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Still trying to figure out why they didn't just put those ostrich eggs on the fire and eat roasted egg instead of having to pick the sand and embers off that cow patty looking thing.  No pan needed to improve on their technique.  I guess that says a lot about tradition.

I saw them using the emptied ostrich eggs as drinking utensils, later in the show. You'd have had to crack the egg, to get it out, if you roasted it, making the shell unusable later.

Edited by ThatGrrl (log)

I just popped over to eBay, and if you search 'No Reservations Bourdain", you can order some of the DVD's at $4.99 "Buy it Now" (plus shipping) from the Discovery Store, as well as some up for bid.

Cool, thanks!

"d00d where r u???"

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who lives in LA, I agree. I was disappointed in this show. Roller derby and the Hawthorne SWAT team and a C-rated cafe in Thai Town. How about the Venice Boardwalk or the Hollywood or Santa Monica produce markets? Or El Coyote, a very popular Mexican restaurant that's been around for 75 years. (Have to say the food isn't that great, but the place is an institution.)

The Pac Northwest show was kind of lame too. I realize that it's on a different network now and not all about the food, but come on. THAT'S all LA has to offer? I've only lived in Portland for 3 years and I can tell you that there is more interesting stuff going on than he showed.

The Pac Northwest show was kind of lame too.  I realize that it's on a different network now and not all about the food, but come on.  THAT'S all LA has to offer?  I've only lived in Portland for 3 years and I can tell you that there is more interesting stuff going on than he showed.

Eh, I've been in Portland about 14 years and I thought it was great. He only had half of a one-hour show for us, and he works for the Travel Channel, not the Portland Chamber of Commerce.

"d00d where r u???"

Sorcha, he could have done a spot at the Gresham Fred Meyer and you'd have him up for a Cable Ace.

Come on, Rachel Ray did the "Shanghai Tunnels" thing a year ago (and many people think that story isn't even true), and how many people have done the Fish Market thing in the last few years (Paula Deens goofy sons even beat him to it). The pizza segment was cool, as was the bit about Salumi in Seattle and the Razor Clam thing. OK, there's three cool things in the span of an hour. I guess they couldn't find him any indigenous anus to eat (unless Voodoo Donut has a special one for that, too).

Tony didn't show a lot of the 'popular' tourist spots or most well-known elements of the PNW because that's not what the show is about. Of course he had to throw one or two in to represent the region and work with the tourism board, but really...he wanted to show things most people don't know about and might be curious about.

I agree that the shanghai tunnel and Voodoo donuts are over exposed. I felt they could have spent a little less time on Velveteria and gotten the general idea across and shortened the old bar footage to fit in a little bit more of Portland. There are so many other places to see. But I'm sure it can't be easy trying to put together a show on a place where you don't live. I was glad they got Apizza Scholls in. And the clamming and camping and the stuff in Seattle was cool.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I very much enjoyed the Pacific Northwest episode. He can't do everything in one show, and I think that overall he did we Oregon/Washington folks proud.

Hopefully, he'll do another one some time. :>

_Jesse Williamson ;-};

(P.S.-- I want my bacon-maple doughnut, too...)

Sorcha, he could have done a spot at the Gresham Fred Meyer and you'd have him up for a Cable Ace.

Now, that's not fair at all. :rolleyes: Besides, the Hawthorne Fred Meyer is much better - it's two-story!

"d00d where r u???"

Tony has a cast iron stomach! That man (whom I adore) also has guts - I wouldn't touch that stuff he eats with a 10 foot pole. I realize that I am just NOT that adventurous.

Love to watch him, he's got personality and I bet he would be a hoot to travel (and drink) with.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

Anyone happen to know the email address to get on the "Gypsy" email list in Seattle? This was from the Pac NW episode. I would definitly make the trip from NYC to check it out. Any info would be appreciated.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Anyone happen to know the email address to get on the "Gypsy" email list in Seattle? This was from the Pac NW episode. I would definitly make the trip from NYC to check it out. Any info would be appreciated.

-Chef Johnny

Hhlodesign gave more info about this here , since he and Ling were at that dinner. Though, the link to Gypsy doesn't seem to be valid. This link, seems to work though.... :smile: