• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

I was wondering if that was you guys...how awesome. I was watching it and my boyfriend came in, and I said "I think there are two egulleteers on this episode, and she gave me the awarding winning mac and cheese recipe for the cookoff in the next couple of weeks"...He was impressed..I feel like I've brushed with stardom! :wub:

As a native of Ghana that episode hits close to home. Tony did a good job in showing the real Ghana. The apetheshie (the vodka like liqour) that Tony was drinking is very strong. Its known in parts as widow maker. My parents tell me that some people who have drank it and not been able to handle it have gone blind.  :wacko:  He really did everything that a true Ghanian would have done, even eating fufuo w/ his hands (may have to work on the technique). Cheers & well done Tony!

<sales pitch>If anyone is thinking of visiting an African country, Ghana is the place to go (and i'm not just saying this because I was born there). 1) It is the safest country in that region, 2) Ghanians are known to be the friendliest Africans, and 3) English is the national language <sales pitch/>.

I really enjoyed this ep - one of the teachers at my son's school was from Ghana (he left recently to focus on the school he wants to open back home.)

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

^Thanks everyone, we were really lucky to be guests that night at the underground dinner!

I think I got 1 shot to Lorna's 5. :hmmm:

actually it was 1:4. i counted. johnnybird and i were watching when all of a sudden "oh, s*&t - it's ling. where's henry?!"

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I was wondering if that was you guys...how awesome.  I was watching it and my boyfriend came in, and I said  "I think there are two egulleteers on this episode, and she gave me the awarding winning mac and cheese recipe for the cookoff in the next couple of weeks"...He was impressed..I feel like I've brushed with stardom! :wub:

HA! I was thinking the same thing so I hopped onto the forums to confirm my suspicions. How neat. :laugh: Congrats Ling and Henry- I hope you enjoyed that dinner, definitely very exotic.

Edited by ngr00 (log)

as I was watching the newest episode with my boyfriend I thought I caught a glimpse of ling. I wasn't sure it was her and then when I saw hlodesign it sealed the deal.

me: hey, dan (boyfriend) I think that girl is on egullet!

dan: wow, you are such a dork

he wasn't impressed with all the food tattoos either. He has full sleeves of mostly sailor jerry flash and well he is very snobby.

I thought the morton salt girl was very cute, but it definitely needed the blue background and the yellow umbrella

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

All in all, a great episode but for one glaring exception... where's the coffee? I mean, how in the hell do you do an episode on Seattle and Portland without doing at least 2 minutes in an espresso bar?!

Tony, I know you must've shot some footage. Did it get cut out in the edit?

(BTW, I love the gypsy restaurant idea.)

All in all, a great episode but for one glaring exception...  where's the coffee?  I mean, how in the hell do you do an episode on Seattle and Portland without doing at least 2 minutes in an espresso bar?!

Tony, I know you must've shot some footage.  Did it get cut out in the edit?

(BTW, I love the gypsy restaurant idea.)

Right??? I don't know how he managed to miss Stumptown Roasters, for instance.

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

I lack cable and wasn't able to wrangle someone to record the episode. Apparently I got some great air time on the production floor at Beecher's. It was something like completing the circle for me, as it was Kitchen Confidential that got me seriously thinking about a career change into the food world. Four years later, Bourdain's interviewing me about cheese making. That said, if someone managed to record it I'd love to see it.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

I lack cable and wasn't able to wrangle someone to record the episode.  Apparently I got some great air time on the production floor at Beecher's.  It was something like completing the circle for me, as it was Kitchen Confidential that got me seriously thinking about a career change into the food world. Four years later, Bourdain's interviewing me about cheese making. That said, if someone managed to record it I'd love to see it.

you know... I wondered if that was you, but dang it, its been so long since you've shown your face at an eG gathering that I wasn't completely sure!

Indeed, you did get some great air time, Placebo! I'm sure someone here will be willing to lend you a tape of the ep! (I didn't record it)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Wow. Oh just Wow. The Pacific NW epi was amazing! Bonus seeing the eGers!!! I saw Ling and thought..."no way" and I popped on here...yeah! I'll have to go back to see the other cast of eG stars again too! Now I just gotta find a "gypsy" restaurant here...hell, I'd be happy to host it!

Tony's stay at the Heathman: $219.00

Tony digging donuts at Voodoo Donuts: $15.00

Tony scratching his ass trying to figure out how to put up a tent: Priceless

This was one of the funnest epis evah!

I lack cable and wasn't able to wrangle someone to record the episode.  Apparently I got some great air time on the production floor at Beecher's.  It was something like completing the circle for me, as it was Kitchen Confidential that got me seriously thinking about a career change into the food world. Four years later, Bourdain's interviewing me about cheese making. That said, if someone managed to record it I'd love to see it.

Thats seriously cool Placebo. You know, I've walked past the beechers shops probably half a dozen times now but I don't think I've ever gone in. I didn't know an egulleter ran it though! Next time, I'll pop by and say hi.

PS: I am a guy.

Thats seriously cool Placebo. You know, I've walked past the beechers shops probably half a dozen times now but I don't think I've ever gone in. I didn't know an egulleter ran it though! Next time, I'll pop by and say hi.

Well, I don't run Beecher's as a whole but I do manage the main production floor down at Pike Place (and am typing this from there right now as I get ready to fire up the pasteurizer). EGullet foundme this job and the local gulletteers (gulletoids?) were super helpful and supportive. I've just been too busy to spend much time here lately (and living in Chinatown for the last 15 months has made me very lazy in the kitchen (something I'm attempting to remedy now).

Also,I need that Out of My Kitchen Noob shirt :)

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Okay Bourdain, obviously you won't be going back to Namibia anytime soon. You look tired and a bit road worn. Then to be presented the best of what the tribe eats was exactly as you aptly put it: gritty grainy yechhhhh! :blink::shock: Man I understand bushmen and all but come on, buy a pan or two!

My hats off to you. I know I could not have gotten through it. And certainly not as eloquently as you.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Okay Bourdain, obviously you won't be going back to Namibia anytime soon. You look tired and a bit road worn. Then to be presented the best of what the tribe eats was exactly as you aptly put it: gritty grainy yechhhhh!    :blink:  :shock:  Man I understand bushmen and all but come on, buy a pan or two!

My hats off to you. I know I could not have gotten through it. And certainly not as eloquently as you.

Still trying to figure out why they didn't just put those ostrich eggs on the fire and eat roasted egg instead of having to pick the sand and embers off that cow patty looking thing. No pan needed to improve on their technique. I guess that says a lot about tradition.