• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

The Beruit Episode is on again tonite.

SB (Peace on Earth ......

After watching the show a second time, (and was it really just four months ago that it first aired?), I have to say .... it was even better than I remembered.

It was, in fact, the best thing I saw on television this year.

SB (wondering how many of those Marines may still be on duty in the Middle East this Christmas)

Dammit, I wish I'd seen this before now. Of course, I've been doing well to stay upright at all the past few days (due to illness, not alcohol, alas!) but I'd have managed somehow. :laugh:

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

Dammit, I wish I'd seen this before now. Of course, I've been doing well to stay upright at all the past few days (due to illness, not alcohol, alas!) but I'd have managed somehow. :laugh:

i just flipped on tc and they are airing the indonesia episode tonight. (now). keep an eye open for them, they come on earlier than the regular series.

sorry if this is repeat, but I hear that the new episodes start on Jan 1st. In fact, I noticed on the dvr the other day that they will have a new show of outtakes from Season 2 and then the first show of the new season. It's on at either 7 or 8 pst.

sorry if this is repeat, but I hear that the new episodes start on Jan 1st.  In fact, I noticed on  the dvr the other day that they will have a new show of outtakes from Season 2 and then the first show of the new season.  It's on at either 7 or 8 pst.

I'm anxious to see the new season of shows.

It will be a great test of Tony and the production staff not to strain the premise and try topping some of last year's great episodes, but to just let the show be itself. (kind of like a tv example of the sophmore jinx)

SB *** knocking on wood ***

sorry if this is repeat, but I hear that the new episodes start on Jan 1st.  In fact, I noticed on  the dvr the other day that they will have a new show of outtakes from Season 2 and then the first show of the new season.  It's on at either 7 or 8 pst.

I'm anxious to see the new season of shows.

It will be a great test of Tony and the production staff not to strain the premise and try topping some of last year's great episodes, but to just let the show be itself. (kind of like a tv example of the sophmore jinx)

SB *** knocking on wood ***

tc is showing some of the new episodes right now. and i don't think anyone is going to be disapointed. they are better than ever. :rolleyes:

What I like best about Tony Bourdain:

TB: No funny hats

SB: No hats period :angry:

TB: No Karaoke

SB: No singing period (junior college musicals excepted) :hmmm:

TB: No Dancing

SB: Hasn't danced since the war :sad:

TB: Likes Nari

SB: LOVES Nari! :wub:

SB (might even sing and dance, in a funny hat, in such circumstances? :rolleyes: )

Edited by srhcb (log)

What I like best about Tony Bourdain:

TB: No funny hats

SB: No hats period :angry:

TB: No Karaoke

SB: No singing period (junior college musicals excepted) :hmmm:

TB: No Dancing

SB: Hasn't danced since the war :sad:

TB: Likes Nari

SB: LOVES Nari! :wub:

SB (might even sing and dance, in a funny hat, in such circumstances? :rolleyes: )

Yes! Nari is adorable!

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

I thought the Northern Ireland was one of the better episodes - any episode that takes a place that previously wasn't on my list of places I wanted to go and makes me want to eat everything he ate is a good one. Ok, all the Guinness didn't hurt - Guinness is one of my deep pleasures.

Loved the outtake/behind the scenes episode. Except for the karaoke. That was painful.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I thought the Northern Ireland was one of the better episodes - any episode that takes a place that previously wasn't on my list of places I wanted to go and makes me want to eat everything he ate is a good one.

With the exception of the pub/stew meal and breakfast, all the other food segments were in the Republic of Ireland. The shellfish at King Sitric's got my attention.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

With the exception of the pub/stew meal and breakfast, all the other food segments were in the Republic of Ireland. The shellfish at King Sitric's got my attention.

You're absolutely right, my mistake. I should know better by now not to post so late at night!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Great ep as always, I can't contain my excitement for the new season.

I will also wholeheartedly agree with Tony in that there are few finer things in life than a well pulled pint of Guiness, particulary when said pint is consumed in Ireland in a smokey pub with the company of some good craic (conversation/fun times).

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

On Ireland and Guinness. I was great show it's just bad that you where drink so much Guinness when you also be drinking Beamish ( my favorite) and Murphy's has well.

But all in all it was another great show.

Great start to the season so far. Each season, the show seems to get leaner and better paced. I didn't expect to enjoy the Ghana ep as much as I did or be as tantalized about the food.

My wife asked me this last night, and I couldn't think of the answer off the top of my head: has Tony visited a place where they don't consume alcohol? I know in parts of Morocco on the FoodTV shows they didn't. I haven't seen all the NR episodes, however.

"has Tony visited a place where they don't consume alcohol?"

yeah, I think at least one of the India episodes was alcohol free--and the hub remarked at the time of viewing--for that reason not as much fun.

I really loved the Ghana episode. I was left wanting to jump on the next plane. The department of tourism there should hire him full time!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Tony, although you are the best snark around, we don't need it to appreciate and enjoy No Reservations. The Ghana program was sincere, humble and priceless and still included the fun that you always seem to have. I loved the scene with the elephants! Doh! One thing that was missing for me was more detailed descriptions of what you were eating, the spices used and preparation methods. It all did look amazing! I have no idea how you will make Seattle seem interesting after this episode, but I have faith that you will!

Genny

As a native of Ghana that episode hits close to home. Tony did a good job in showing the real Ghana. The apetheshie (the vodka like liqour) that Tony was drinking is very strong. Its known in parts as widow maker. My parents tell me that some people who have drank it and not been able to handle it have gone blind. :wacko: He really did everything that a true Ghanian would have done, even eating fufuo w/ his hands (may have to work on the technique). Cheers & well done Tony!

<sales pitch>If anyone is thinking of visiting an African country, Ghana is the place to go (and i'm not just saying this because I was born there). 1) It is the safest country in that region, 2) Ghanians are known to be the friendliest Africans, and 3) English is the national language <sales pitch/>.

One thing that was missing for me was more detailed descriptions of what you were eating, the spices used and preparation methods.  It all did look amazing! 

I agree; I guess we're all probably biased here, but he should spend much more time and info on the food!!