• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

For anyone north of the border, I believe this TLC airing on Weds (the 30th, right?) will be the first time it's aired in Canada...

That would be great! Unfortunately, I can't find a listing for it. I checked both TLC and CTV Travel. In the regular NR timeslot on CTVT, the listings show the Malaysia episode.

Do you have more info on how we can see this episode in Canada? I have Bell ExpressVu, fwiw.

SPIRO -- it's going to be on TLC at 10PM tomorrow (in place of The Messengers). Apparently, the schedule change was just made yesterday morning, so the listings folks haven't updated their listings yet. TLC is the same in Canada and the U.S.

It WON'T be on CTV Travel.

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I just got the news from Zero Point Zero that the Bourdain in Beirut episode will get a special repeat airing on TLC this Wednesday, August 29, at 10/9C.

And on a lighter note, Miami Ink will feature Tony getting a skull tattoo on his chest tomorrow night, Tuesday, August 28, at 10/9C.

Thanks, Louisa! I've been trawling for that episode for months, in frustration!

Oh, and I thought I had posted this correctly, but I guess I messed up. AB, Ruhrlman, Ripert and Gabrielle Hamilton will be at the 92nd Streeet Y in NYC on 10/23:

http://www.92y.org/shop/event_detail.asp?p...tid=T%2DLC5CB05

Gabrielle Hamilton is so cool--she rocks. And Eric Ripert is so cute...Ok, they're all cute.

I hadn't seen the India episode until last night (fell asleep)--he sure was right about the colors, and the food! Well, that's why we're watching, eh?

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I got the same info from Diane:

I just got this e-mail from someone at Discovery... note that the Beirut show will be re-airing on TLC tomorrow night, not Travel Channel. 

"The Miami Ink show with Tony in it airs this Tuesday 28th at 10pm and

the Beirut special will air on Wednesday 29th at 10pm on TLC. "

Enjoy it!  Would love to hear your thoughts!

My TIVO still hasn't updated the listing, so I'm putting post-its up all over the TV now. The Miami Ink episode on at 10pm says nothing about Bourdain in TIVO. It's called "Garver's Ultimatum". I assume it's the right one.

As far as we know, it should be the right Miami Ink. I think it was one of the Ruffians that posted a link to the preview somewhere online and it had a glimpse of Tony on it.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

As far as we know, it should be the right Miami Ink. 

Yup, it's the right episode. I've been seeing commercials for it for the last three days at least, and it's all about Bourdain. Do realize though, that the whole segment will probably be about 5 minutes - max.

But, the fun thing to do will be to watch the background of the rest of the season to see just how many times he appears. Miami Ink is edited out of sequence, so there is a very good chance he'll be in the background at least one.

SPIRO -- it's going to be on TLC at 10PM tomorrow (in place of The Messengers).  Apparently, the schedule change was just made yesterday morning, so the listings folks haven't updated their listings yet.  TLC is the same in Canada and the U.S. 

Thanks!

SPIRO -- it's going to be on TLC at 10PM tomorrow (in place of The Messengers).  Apparently, the schedule change was just made yesterday morning, so the listings folks haven't updated their listings yet.   TLC is the same in Canada and the U.S. 

Thanks!

Tony appears in the opening segment (abou 5 minutes only), with the focus more on the 'tat, naturally. (It was not as long and as Tony-centric as the tattoo-ing segement in the Malaysia NR episode, but that's only to be expected, since this was only a cross-plug for Miami Ink).

Oh, by the way, since a lot of eGulleteers have been so terrific about posting AB's book signing/talk schedule (and a few, in Columbus, Peoria and Atlanta, etc., were bemoaning the fact that he didn't make it to their cities on the book-signing gig), I thought you might find some consolation in the following upcoming appearances. The one in Charlotte is a rather expensive corporate-type gig and I believe he also is scheduled to appear in Hobart, CA some time over the winter, but in accordance with my deeply held share-the-"wealth" (or info) beliefs (!):

LI

http://www.stonybrookalumni.com/cgi-any/ca...ay?&id=216&bid=

http://events.adelphi.edu/culturalevents/coming.php

Charlotte:

http://www.charlottecentercity.org/nav.cfm...8&action=detail

DC:

http://www.capitalfoodfight.org/

Fresno:

http://www.valleytownhall.com/bourdain.html

SF (sold out?)

http://www.cityboxoffice.com/default.asp?SearchText=bourdain

(Yes, it is DEAD season at work - until after mid-September!)

:laugh:

Oh, and I thought I had posted this correctly, but I guess I messed up. AB, Ruhrlman, Ripert and Gabrielle Hamilton will be at the 92nd Streeet Y in NYC on 10/23

Thanks so much for posting this information I was able to purchase my ticket on-line today. However, as an update, a friend who tried this afternoon told me that it is now listed as sold out.

Ellen

• 4 weeks later...
Oh, and I thought I had posted this correctly, but I guess I messed up.  AB, Ruhrlman, Ripert and Gabrielle Hamilton will be at the 92nd Streeet Y in NYC on 10/23

Thanks so much for posting this information I was able to purchase my ticket on-line today. However, as an update, a friend who tried this afternoon told me that it is now listed as sold out.

Ellen

From msn.com today - Tony has got a new gig as "culinary ambassador" for Amstel:

http://livetastefully.msn.com/Default.aspx

Oh, and I thought I had posted this correctly, but I guess I messed up.  AB, Ruhrlman, Ripert and Gabrielle Hamilton will be at the 92nd Streeet Y in NYC on 10/23

Ellen

From msn.com today - Tony has got a new gig as "culinary ambassador" for Amstel:

http://livetastefully.msn.com/Default.aspx

LOL! Apparently, it's 'Suntory time' for Tony :biggrin:

Good for him! :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

It's splitting hairs, I know. But actually, I'm writing/ambassadoring for MSN.

Can you conjugate "ambassador" for us? I rather like it but would be afraid I would misuse it :laugh:

Edited to fix quotes

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

It will be interesting to see how Tony will handle drinking non-Amstel brews when travelling.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

If His Excellency Mr. Ambassador has ANY pull at all at Amstel, could you see about getting Amstel Bright sent over here to the U.S.? We had it in Aruba, and it is now our favorite, and we can't get it here.

Thanks a bunch.

I just finished Nasty Bits and although uneven it is certainly worth a read. The commentary section at the end really makes the book.

I seem to recall somewhere Mr Bourdain stating his admiration of Julia Child’s policy of never endorsing products. The primary commodities Bourdain has to trade upon, as I see it, are authenticity and credibility. I may be mistaken in this but I fear that vamping under the banner of a light beer, for the love of all that is holy, may not help concerning the former. I would hate to see him “jump the shark” via being perceived as a corporate shill. Anyway, I thought he was a Guinness man.

At any rate I really need to get cable so I can check out his show...........

I just finished Nasty Bits and although uneven it is certainly worth a read. The commentary section at the end really makes the book.

I seem to recall somewhere Mr Bourdain stating his admiration of Julia Child’s policy of never endorsing products. The primary commodities Bourdain has to trade upon, as I see it, are authenticity and credibility. I may be mistaken in this but I fear that vamping under the banner of a light beer, for the love of all that is holy, may not help concerning the former. I would hate to see him “jump the shark” via being perceived as a corporate shill. Anyway, I thought he was a Guinness man.

As Tony himself stated above, he's 'ambassadoring' for MSN (which happens to be sponsored by Amstel).

=R=

As Tony himself stated above, he's 'ambassadoring' for MSN (which happens to be sponsored by Amstel).

=R=

My comment was one of perception rather than actual affiliation. I am sure Amstel's intention is to bank on a perceived association whether it is Bourdain under the banner and beside the bubbling draft or someone else. Amstel is not sponsoring out of the goodness of its heart. :wink:

=R=

My comment was one of perception rather than actual affiliation. I am sure Amstel's intention is to bank on a perceived association whether it is Bourdain under the banner and beside the bubbling draft or someone else. Amstel is not sponsoring out of the goodness of its heart. :wink:

Yeah, I just wanted to clarify my earlier, snarky "Suntory" comment. You're totally right about perception. At first, I thought this was actually an Amstel affiliation on Tony's part, which is why I said what I said. Still, it would have been fine with me. I'm certainly not here to judge anyone.

=R=

Oh, good -- now I can take myself off the waiting list for the available copies down at the library. Regretfully, it probably won't affect my purchasing decision at the local beer cooler, though...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

=R=

Yeah, I just wanted to clarify my earlier, snarky "Suntory" comment. You're totally right about perception. At first, I thought this was actually an Amstel affiliation on Tony's part, which is why I said what I said. Still, it would have been fine with me. I'm certainly not here to judge anyone.

=R=

I am not here to judge anyone either. I think Bourdain is good for American food culture and I would hate for him to lose credibility and clout with the epicurean crowd. It seems that through the efforts of many within the professional food industry we are starting to eat more interesting food and to think about good food in a different and less elitist way. I was at a restaurant in Dayton, OH a few years ago while at a conference and they had sweetbreads on the menu. Not exactly still-beating-cobra-heart in the realms of the exotic, but nice to see at any rate. It was great, and I managed to get one of my friends to try a bite and he liked it. I can now get rabbit at my local supermarket and I am increasingly noticing steaks other than sirloin, rib eye, NY strip, and tenderloin on menus. These little things, in my estimation, portend better cuisine for all of us. :smile:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...