• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Thank you ThatGrrl and Claudia for the links.  Just saw the Beruit show, and I am again amazed at AB's insight.  I am also very sad for those left behind to face whatever is in store.

Off topic for only a second (and only as it relates to Tony's and Ruhlman's foie gras rants on megnuts.com, above), this was in today's NY Times - the Chicagoans are metaphorically flipping the City Council the bird by defying the foie ban and deliberately serving it, anyway. Ruhlman and Bourdain would be very gratified that their fellow chefs/foodies, other than Trotter, have fought on. Vive la resistance!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/23/us/23chicago.html

Amazing show. I can hardly imagine what Tony and the crew must be feeling now. Words will fall short of expressing the things I wish for you guys. Cyber hugs.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I'll make it easy.  The foie gras rant is here.  Tony replies below.  Look for the reply that begins, "Jesus, Ruhlman!! Is this what happens when you forget to take your lithium?"

He's the man... He really is the man:

"...that there is no more burning issue on the minds of educated, well-fed, financially comfortable citizens than whether or not a clam feels pain--or whether a duck can handle what any respectable adult film ingenue considers routine...."

Heh, that's funny. I think it's also implying that the typical PETA person/vegetarian/vegan also can't relate to what "any respectable adult film ingenue" has engaged in. :raz:

Seeing Bourdain cooking in the hotel, it occurred to me that a cooking show based off the Les Halles cookbook would be entertaining...

Saw the show night before last. If you had told me a year ago that Anthony Bourdain would make me cry, I would not have believed it. That was a profoundly moving bit of television. Well done.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I was so moved by the young man who said "we will all pay for this". And they didn't start it--they just pay the price for someone else. A turtle was carrying a scorpion across the Euphrates when he stung it at the halfway point, the turtle said "why did you do that?"-- the scorpion replied "It's the Mid East" They both perished.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Just finished watching the Beirut episode.  This is Emmy-material.

Hey Tony, "Mr Wolf" ? I'm thinking you're making a subtle and clever reference to the "clean up" guy, Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction.  This just couldn't possibly be a coincidence......

I heard "Mr. Wolf", and immediately flashed to "Pulp Fiction", but I was just watching it last weekend. Maybe he's hoping with a nod to Tarantino that a certain director might option one of Tony's novels for a movie project. I'm hoping for "A Cook's Tour"... :laugh:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Travel Channel,Zero Point Zero, Crew and Tony thank you for deciding to make the Beirut episode.

Reviewing the episode again today I just want to say a few things. The trance beat music in the beginning was very compelling. Using the chance meeting with TimeOut editor Ramsay late in the evening was very fortunate filming, having him express the new modern Beirut and his concerns.

It was in his eyes.

Tony, I don't mean to be impudent I read the Salon interview and Monday's episode regarding Mr. Wolfe the security expert. It sounded just like a John LeCarre novel. Reading about Cold War and spy novels it must be a whole different game when you really need to know several escape routes to stay alive. Seems real cool when reading the spy trade process when in reality you are in a foreign county relying on a baby-sitter and our embassy. The disappointment to only have some KwikPlot in case of a wound. At least he came though and sent you under a truck to pass security and board the ship.

I was moved to hear how frustrating it was losing contact, trying to get some news any news in any form when in fact the Guy from the Pool seemed to have the most accurate information. Your right ....BizarroWorld.

Usually in each episode you have a meal with a family in their home, this time it was you being the provider for your working family.

What film footage you had it really worked. Thanks.

To change the subject a bit..

In the scene where he had his first meal, he was served something that looked like yogurt topped with a nut mixture. Perhaps the nuts were cooked in butter or oil? Anyway, anyone out there know what that was? My husband and I thought it looked good.

To change the subject a bit..

In the scene where he had his first meal, he was served something that looked like yogurt topped with a nut mixture.  Perhaps the nuts were cooked in butter or oil?  Anyway, anyone out there know what that was?  My husband and I thought it looked good.

In his Salon.com piece, Tony described his meal by stating, "On the first day of filming, we'd had a sensational early lunch of hummus, kibbe, stewed lamb and yogurt at Le Chef, a local, family-style joint in a charming neighborhood." At the Washington Post Q & A, he additionally mentions "arak" having been on the table. If any of that helps at all. I think the arak was actually the ouzo-like drink they had, so that probably doesn't add anything for me to say. Might have simply been their way of serving yogurt, you saw. Maybe Tony will look in on the forum and answer you more specifically.

Edited by ThatGrrl (log)

Yes, arak was the drink. My husband's grandfather used to drink that after dinner as a digestif. If you like anise, you will like arak!

Perhaps it was hummus topped with something - I have the show on DVR so I will have to watch again to try to figure it out...

Just finished watching the Beirut episode.  This is Emmy-material.

Hey Tony, "Mr Wolf" ? I'm thinking you're making a subtle and clever reference to the "clean up" guy, Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction.  This just couldn't possibly be a coincidence......

I had same Emmy thought when I watched it. It was a powerful hour of television and I believe AB's best work on TV.

Other than the Pulp Fiction reference, my favorite part was the serene look on AB's face when he was in the kitchen. We all go to our happy place when under stress.

Expat Russ

Three Passions:

Food

Travel<=click to go to my travel website...

BBQ and BQ<=click to go to my blog about trying to balance great food and qualifying for the Boston Marathon

Well produced, thought provoking and a depressing reminder of the state of the world and the future of mankind....imagine a world where bento boxes are dropped from F-16s rather than bombs...

Or a Sleath Banana Smart Fruit!!! Bill Hicks

I just got the news from Zero Point Zero that the Bourdain in Beirut episode will get a special repeat airing on TLC this Wednesday, August 29, at 10/9C.

And on a lighter note, Miami Ink will feature Tony getting a skull tattoo on his chest tomorrow night, Tuesday, August 28, at 10/9C.

Edited by Louisa Chu (log)

I just got the news from Zero Point Zero that the Bourdain in Beirut episode will get a special repeat airing on TLC this Wednesday, August 29, at 10/9C.

And on a lighter note, Miami Ink will feature Tony getting a skull tattoo on his chest tomorrow night, Tuesday, August 28, at 10/9C.

Thanks, Louisa! I've been trawling for that episode for months, in frustration!

Oh, and I thought I had posted this correctly, but I guess I messed up. AB, Ruhrlman, Ripert and Gabrielle Hamilton will be at the 92nd Streeet Y in NYC on 10/23:

http://www.92y.org/shop/event_detail.asp?p...tid=T%2DLC5CB05

Edited by Claudia Greco (log)

For anyone north of the border, I believe this TLC airing on Weds (the 30th, right?) will be the first time it's aired in Canada...

That would be great! Unfortunately, I can't find a listing for it. I checked both TLC and CTV Travel. In the regular NR timeslot on CTVT, the listings show the Malaysia episode.

Do you have more info on how we can see this episode in Canada? I have Bell ExpressVu, fwiw.

I was finally able to see the Beirut episode. Really good stuff. So well done.

We all know Tony had nothing but positive things to say about the U.S. Marines and the U.S. Navy and we got to see that in the show. I'd like to suggest to tony that he either do an episode of No Reservations or maybe even a "special" show that focuses on food in the military. How them men and women eat (and cook) at base, in the field, and on ships. I know there have been a few shows like this show before on Food TV, but as with most things, Tony's take on it would make it even more interesting. Just a thought.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"