• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Tony is quoted at DNA - World:

"The embassy didn't answer the phone for a week. At the checkpoints, it was like a Metallica concert gone terribly wrong. It was a mob scene."

US television chef Anthony Bourdain, aboard the USS Nashville.

Find it here, about 2/3 the way down:

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1042914

Mike

foodie_mike

Located in beautiful uptown Burbank

[Moderator's Note: I've just received this email from Anthony Bourdain -- CA]

Me, Jerry, Todd, Tracey and Diane are all safely home .. I should tell you that expressions of concern here at eGullet were a comfort to us while we hunkered down in Beirut..and that we're enormously grateful to the Travel Channel, who took extreme measures to see we were as safe as possible while in Beirut--and then went to extraordinary lengths to get us safely and quickly back. Main Man at Travel, Patrick Younge, even met us at the airport with a pack of my very-hard-to-find cigarette of choice in hand. I can't say enough nice things about the Beirut (and the Beirutis) we saw and met in the short time before everything went to hell. And I can't begin to describe how regretful we are that we won't be able to show the world how beautiful a place, how good the food, how nice the people we experienced in the two short days we had of unrestrained filming . Freshly back--and ahead of so many others-- it would seem ungrateful to share my dim view of how the US embassy and State dept. appeared to be going about their business. BUT: My admiration for the sailors and marines of the Nashville and the way in which they--at short notice, last minute, steamed from Jordan to perform an incredible difficult job (for which they had had little if any experience) is boundless. The minute we became charges of the navy and marines, we (and everyone else aboard--from beachhead to Cyprus) were treated with breathtaking kindness,generosity and sensitivity. The minute we passed into their care, every aspect of exfiltration was performed with incredible efficiency and care. I will never forget the impromptu refugee camp set up on the Nashville's flight deck: EVERY group of huddled evacuees, families, children, old people--had at least one or two marines sitting with them, talking to them, seeing to their needs. Most of these young men and women knew nothing of Beirut. Many who I spent time with on the smoking deck (Yes! a smoking deck!), had never even been to New York--much less been trained to handle (in many cases) psychologically shattered refugees. They treated everyone, EVERYONE with patience, courtesy and kindness. The logistical challenges alone were enormous--that they managed to perform them so flawlessly AND keep the kids amused, feed any and all tuna noodle casserole, macaroni and cheese, corn dogs and key lime pie...give up their own blankets and sheets...give tours and every other imaginable measure of hospitality was..well..awesome. To my mind, they put every other branch of govt involved in this horror show to shame. It is always a joy and a relief to find oneself in the hands of professionals.

You have all likely seen the photo of the young marine, Sanchez, holding two infants, kissing one of the cheek as he carried them across the water onto the landing craft. It was quite another thing to meet him and talk with him (him still holding a freshly printed copy of tomorrow's wire service cover photo)...an ordinary young man, getting ribbed by his buddies for being thrust into extraordinary circumstances. Bashful, proud, emotional and inspiringly..human.

We are very aware--painfully aware--that we are among the fortunate. Our hearts and best wishes go out to all those we left behind. We will never forget what we saw.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Tony (Bourdain) was on Larry King Live last night, speaking about his trip to Lebanon, specially about Beirut. Unfortunately I only caught the last minute or two of it :angry:, but I think he was filming there for his No Reservations show when all hell broke loose.

Anybody watch it, was the interview any good?

Damn. :blink:

Helluva story, Tony. You're always where the action is! I hope you can get those three back on camera at some future date when this blows over, that would make for quite a show segment. Then go have dinner somewhere in the new Beirut.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I wish I knew this was going to be on. I would have TiVo'ed it.  Any idea if/when it will re-air?

Honestly, if you read his posts on eGullet, you pretty much got the gist of the short Larry King segment (as you can also see from the transcript above). There were a few nice stills from the Marine ship and a few from Lebannon, though. It was a very short segment, though fun to watch.

I loved that Larry introduced him as a "celebrity chief".

We're reopening the topic, once again, to discussion about "No Reservations," the shows and production both. As we all surely wish Tony well upon his return stateside, let's keep those kind thoughts out of this topic. Thanks!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

For all you Tony groupies, Mr. Bourdain will be doing a live chat on the Washington Post web site today at 11am.  Just remember it's all about him.

Here is the page they are going to use for the discussion. I think The Post probably requires registration, as do most major papers, these days. They are already accepting questions, if you have a one, but can't take time to attend the discussion. They will leave the full transcript posted, after the discussion.

For all you Tony groupies, Mr. Bourdain will be doing a live chat on the Washington Post web site today at 11am.  Just remember it's all about him.

Here is the page they are going to use for the discussion. I think The Post probably requires registration, as do most major papers, these days. They are already accepting questions, if you have a one, but can't take time to attend the discussion. They will leave the full transcript posted, after the discussion.

I don't see where the chat is going to actually appear.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

I just saw this weeks episode (repeat but new for me) on montreal. The scene where the family is dining on raw seal has to be one of the most facinating food related TV I've ever seen. I got the sense of a sunday dinner meal except the meal was eaten on the kitchen floor (reminded me of steam crab meals at my house growing up) and that the meal was not only eaten raw but butchered right in front of everyone.

Love it.

I was really surprised at my mother's reaction to the seal segment. I expected her to be squeamish but she got quiet and then commented that she was "so very proud of him" for digging in and honoring those people and their culture.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Tony's thoughts on Beruit:

In print in Salon here.

and in audio on "Weekend America" here.

They both cover the same material; but I found Tony's additonal thoughts in the "Weekend America" piece resonant with my own.

Mike

Edited by foodie_mike (log)

foodie_mike

Located in beautiful uptown Burbank

Hey, y'all!  I noticed a blurb in the middle of last night's Sweden episode

saying that they were going to air a special episode on their experience

in Beruit on Aug. 21!

What a great idea.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I think Tony did a great job preparing us viewers with what was to come.  I wanted to ask him about the seal feast when I met him on June 13 but I got side tracked by the Korea episode.

I've got nothing for respect for Anthony and I love NR - he always treats his hosts and their culture with honor and respect, no matter what is being offered up. Fascinating bit of history there with the Inuit and the seal - I could never have imagined it would be eaten the way the way it was. He's fearless.

The Korea episode was something else altogether. I fully admit to being the world's most squeamish eater, the still wiggling octopus that was suckering itself to the inside of their mouths put me right over the edge. If I put anything in my mouth that was still moving, projectile vomiting would ensue immediately. I don't know how he does it.....but I admire him for it.

I think Tony did a great job preparing us viewers with what was to come.  I wanted to ask him about the seal feast when I met him on June 13 but I got side tracked by the Korea episode.

I've got nothing for respect for Anthony and I love NR - he always treats his hosts and their culture with honor and respect, no matter what is being offered up. Fascinating bit of history there with the Inuit and the seal - I could never have imagined it would be eaten the way the way it was. He's fearless.

The Korea episode was something else altogether. I fully admit to being the world's most squeamish eater, the still wiggling octopus that was suckering itself to the inside of their mouths put me right over the edge. If I put anything in my mouth that was still moving, projectile vomiting would ensue immediately. I don't know how he does it.....but I admire him for it.

It isn't 'food' to me. But, through his experimental 'eating' we can see that mankind will survive, and has. We can either learn new ways to nourish our bodies or continue in traditions that are instilled. It is good to know that there are alternatives. And how to prepare them! I see NR as a learning event more than just a culinary experience. (And very well thought out. AB's mind tips us all out of the box.)