• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Best wishes on getting out safely and quickly to Anthony and crew--before the blender drinks run out, preferably!

Just saw on TV this AM that there are 25,000 Americans in Lebanon--this is going to be some airlift!

About the Decoding Adrian Ferria on Half.com--it looks like there wasn't an option to list it as a DVD and the sellers listed it as a book.

(now, i want to suggest that anyone buy the book from a bookstore if they can possibly do that. no author makes a dime off of re-sale books. some of the sellers buy several copies and of course ab would profit from that.)

OK, it's better to buy from a bookstore and an independant one, at that, but there is nothing inherently wrong with buying a used book--this is an ancient trade and an honorable one.

Z

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQcpidZ137...75QQprZ53564585

this link should take you to half.com, and the page on the site where i found the book listed. there is a photo of the book.

(now, i want to suggest that anyone buy the book from a bookstore if they can possibly do that. no author makes a dime off of re-sale books. some of the sellers buy several copies and of course ab would profit from that.)

i have bought from half.com several times. it is a good source to find many items that are no longer in stock elsewhere.

Since Bourdain himself has already noted there's no book, it looks to me as if it's simply an error. The photo at half.com is identical to the photo of the dvd at Amazon, and both say "hosted by" which suggests a film.

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQcpidZ137...75QQprZ53564585

this link should take you to half.com, and the page on the site where i found the book listed. there is a photo of the book.

i have bought from half.com several times. it is a good source to find many items that are no longer in stock elsewhere.

Since Bourdain himself has already noted there's no book, it looks to me as if it's simply an error. The photo at half.com is identical to the photo of the dvd at Amazon, and both say "hosted by" which suggests a film.

i'm not sure what it is. i sent a note to report it. i was going to let it go and noticed the same 'seller' had several pages with two identical items and there were no other sellers on the page. this is very odd. then i noted that the individual has a lot of bad 'reports' on his 'service'...some people not getting their merchandise, etc.

it most likely is some sort of a scam. sad.

Eh, Bourdain! Keep yourself and the crew safe! I'd love to hear the in person nasty bits version of this episode. Stay safe and we'll see ya on the flip side.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Damn Tony-hope you can get out of there as fast as possible, show or no show! There's a plate of brisket, ribs, and sausage and a cold beer with your name on it when you do!!

I second that emotion! Stay safe, Tony! Don't leave the hotel!

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I didn't find out that Tony Bourdain was stranded until a minute ago- I just got out of Beirut two days ago while the bombs destroying the road to Syria were being dropped in our wake... was fortunate to get a seat on a plane out of Damascus.

I wish I'd known he was there, I'd have smuggled him onto the bus.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

BTW..this town is Party Central!

Well, it always was, anyway. Legendary. "The Paris of the Middle East." Sad.

Good luck, Tony. I can hardly wait to see the episode.

Has Geraldo arrived yet?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I didn't find out that Tony Bourdain was stranded until a minute ago- I just got out of Beirut two days ago while the bombs destroying the road to Syria were being dropped in our wake... was fortunate to get a seat on a plane out of Damascus. 

Glad to hear of your safe return, Verjuice.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Glad to hear of your safe return, Verjuice.

Indeed, "Verjus" - welcome back home! But, conversely, if you knew Tony and the crew were hold up at the Moevenpick, maybe camping out at the bar or pool wouldn't have been a bad alternative (!) Seriously, though - glad you got out. I read today that the U.S., Italy, etc., were trying to evacuate their citizens to Cyprus, but the sick, elderly, etc., first. So I'm guessing Tony might have a bit of a wait - unless the Travel Channel can wrangle a charter flight out for ZeroPointZero (!)

This is my first post, and I just wanted to wish Tony and crew all the best! :biggrin:

I've been a huge fan for years, and I just found this wonderful site. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from all of you, and hope I can add a little humor and help to those who need it!

I'll keep reading... THANKS!

Best wishes on getting out safely and quickly to Anthony and crew--before the blender drinks run out, preferably!

Just saw on TV this AM that there are 25,000 Americans in Lebanon--this is going to be some airlift!

Per this article from MSNBC about 24000 of those folks are dual citizens, so "only" 5000 or so are likely to want evacuate.

Hopefully they'll put Bourdain & crew on that first cruise ship out. Good luck to everyone over there!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

So I'm guessing Tony might have a bit of a wait - unless the Travel Channel can wrangle a  charter flight out for ZeroPointZero (!)

Of course since the Isrealis blew all the airports apart a chartered plane would be of dubious iuse...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

So I'm guessing Tony might have a bit of a wait - unless the Travel Channel can wrangle a  charter flight out for ZeroPointZero (!)

Of course since the Isrealis blew all the airports apart a chartered plane would be of dubious use...

Perhaps we could take up a collection to send in a Harrier jumpjet.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I hope that somehow, some way, this makes it into a show. The show could end with Tony and crew being evacuated from Beirut bye the U.S. Marines on a big helicopter. Maybe he could snack on an MRE on the flight out. :)

(Is that too morbid for me to think of? )

Anyway, stay safe, Tony and crew.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I've bugged him for years, during both the shows, to offer an uncensored directors cut of them for the real fans. There's got to be a DVDs worth of great stuff on the cutting room floor...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

From the Page Six in the NY Post a few days ago:

click

"Our network, our friends and our families just want us out of here as soon as possible," Bourdain told Page Six yesterday afternoon, as Israeli shells exploded in the distance. "We're not getting a show out of this . . . I just wanna hang out and drink at the bar. The mojitos here are great.

"They're bombing right now in southern Beirut. I can hear the explosions. The thing is, the people here are really, really nice and totally embarrassed by Hezbollah and horrified by the bombings."

After spending Monday and Tuesday eating his way through Beirut and befriending locals, Bourdain and his crew partied at local nightclubs into the wee hours. "This is a party town," he explained. "Everyone in this city is [bleeping] gorgeous. It's like L.A. It's a totally international, sophisticated city. Everyone speaks English and throws dollars around."

But many Lebanese who fear Israeli reprisals will get worse were streaming out of Beirut yesterday. "The roads to Damascus are packed with every Lebanese with a Rolodex," said Bourdain, who is the chef-at-large at Park Avenue South bistro Les Halles. "They're all heading toward Damascus."

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I hope that somehow, some way, this makes it into a show.    The show could end with Tony and crew being evacuated from Beirut bye the U.S. Marines on a big helicopter.  Maybe he could snack on an MRE on the flight out.  :)

(Is that too morbid for me to think of? )

Anyway, stay safe, Tony and crew.

I realise that most of you sitting in your comfortable homes are finding all of this a bit like a movie, but some of us are sitting near the line of fire and don't find this the least bit humerous. Some of us have family in the countries involved, soldiers in harms way and family sitting in bomb shelters or homeless or even dead. Have a little respect.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I'm very aware of how flip my response to the Post was (made last Wednesday, very early in the crisis)as I sought to reassure family and friends that we were safe and okayand in good cheer. . It was--at the time--very representative of the (outward) attitude of Beirutis themselves, who pride themselves on their resilience and their determination to "keep the party going." Initially, many Beirutis were still going strong at nightclubs as jets flew low and menacingly overhead. Even that proud, famously world-weary attitude quickly changed, however, as circumstances here became even more appalling. I can certainly understand how offensive it might be to those on the ground here--or those with family and friends here--to read some of what's been posted on the other NR thread--and understand why it's been closed for now.

It is indeed heartbreaking and horrifying what has happened to this lovely country--to spanking new, lovingly restored,resurgent Beirut in particular, in only a few days of sustained and seemingly senseless destruction. A few days ago, this was a place where people were bursting with pride for the relative tolerance, progressive attitudes, and lack of conflict between groups. I was standing with a group: a Sunni, a Christian, and a Shiite--by the Hariri memorial when the gunfire started and the Hezbollah people appeared driving through city center and honking their horns in "celebration" for the capture/kidnappings. The look of dismay and embarrasment on all three faces...and the grim look of resignation as they all-- instantly-- recognized what would inevitably come next...it's something I will never forget. Of the three, our Shiite security guy, a tall, taciturn man, was the last to leave us, insisiting on staying by our side though he and his family lived in the much more perilous Southern part of Beirut. After witnessing many quick telephone exchanges between him and his family, and as more bombs and shells began to fall, seeing him nervously fingering his prayer beads, we finally convinced him to leave. His house was later flattened..We were soon relocated to a safer part of town.The sense of regret and ...shame we feel at being relatively safe yet witness to the carnage...and that we never got to show the world how beautiful this country and its people are--how much "like us" (yet uniquely and wonderfully not), how international, muti-lingual, multi-faith..how fantastic the food and hospitality is...will gnaw at us forever. WE will make it home. WE--unlike most Lebanese, have been (relatively) safe and secure during this. Trapped, yes--but trapped by a freaking swimming pool-not under the rubble of our homes. We may be only a few thousand yards or a few miles from the falling bombs-but we have an eventual way out. What hasn't been talked about much in the press, is how many young returnees there are/were here: young, educated Lebanese who'd emigrated abroad or been born aboad and only recenly returned..how filled with hope they were, how much they loved their country, how hopeful and enthusiastic they were that they could make a difference (and they WERE making a difference). That is all ashes now..

We (the NR crew) are indeed well--and well looked after. It's indeed frightening here, it's enraging, it's horrifying,and its frustrating..the classic "long hours of boredom interspersed with moments of terror" phenom they always use when talking about life during wartime. But we are relatively safe. And sooner or later we will no doubt be heading home.

We will never forget the Beirut that could have been-and will hopefully be again. Or what we saw here.

I fully hope and expect that the administrators/mods will allow this post--and immediately close it to further comment. The crew and I greatly appreciate all the previous comments and expressions of concern here and thank you all.

• Like 1

abourdain

From the Travel Channel website:

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/...4911901438/p/12

Friends and fans,

We’re delighted to inform you that Tony and the entire crew left Beirut this morning on the USS Nashville en route to Larnaca, Cyprus. We have arranged special air travel to have them back in the USA as soon as possible. On behalf of Tony, the crew, Travel Channel, and Discovery Communications, we’d like to thank you for your concern and support during this difficult time. We look forward to sharing Tony’s experience from Beirut with you soon, stay tuned for more information on a possible special episode of “No Reservations.”

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host