• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

I have been fascinated by what I know of El Bulli, which is very little, but this show dragged me into the mainstream of the restaurant and sort of threw it in my face.

Amazing! I know I'll never get there, but I can dream.. :rolleyes:

Where is this place? Someone tried to auction a reservation on e Bay starting at $1000.

Actually there's a thread on the "auction" here: CLICK!

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I have been fascinated by what I know of El Bulli, which is very little, but this show dragged me into the mainstream of the restaurant and sort of threw it in my face.

Where is this place? Someone tried to auction a reservation on e Bay starting at $1000.

I thought a 32-course tasting menu would HAVE to start at $1,000, minimum, considering there are 55 chefs - for a 55-seat restaurant, if I heard Tony correctly. The fact that it's somewhat cheaper is amazing - and somewhat gratifying. Now you just need to get a reservation (assuming you didn't win the auction), tack on the airfare, book some digs - but anyone of us would do it! Hey, just remember that AB produced the original show on his own dime, just so the rest of us could get a grasp on what Ferran is all about. Thanks, AB!

I thought a 32-course tasting menu would HAVE to start at $1,000, minimum, considering there are 55 chefs - for a 55-seat restaurant, if I heard Tony correctly. The fact that it's somewhat cheaper is amazing - and somewhat gratifying. Now you just need to get a reservation (assuming you didn't win the auction), tack on the airfare, book some digs - but anyone of us would do it! Hey, just remember that AB produced the original show on his own dime, just so the rest of us could get a grasp on what Ferran is all about. Thanks, AB!

Just to be clear, the auction for $1,000.00 was for a reservation at El Bulli and did not include the cost of the meal itself (about a little over $200, US) Specifically, three guys (con artists?) were auctioning on Ebay a spot at their table for the pleasure of dining with them. As I understand it, Ferran Adria does not charge for reservations, which made this whole thing quite unethical. BTW, there were no takers.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Errrrrrggghhhh is right Claudia. Actually I don't think there is an emoticon or words profane enough to properly reflect what these three cretins were trying pull. And definitely what Ferran Adria should be charging for the experience probably ought to be closer to $1,000 than $200 but shhh, don't tell him that! :smile:

Actually I don't think there is an emoticon or words profane enough to properly reflect what these three cretins were trying pull. 

comic book guy once lamented that same thing. . .

the episode was fantastic. and the people up-thread were correct- tony acts completely different than in no reservations. it felt like tony was there doing research and to find out what was going on. however, and i'm sure we all have this same nagging thought, that it would be great to hear or read more about it. the section on french laundry, i thought, was just as lacking. i want tony to be more philosophical about these dinners. but, i think he's getting there in some of the no reservations episodes.

Managed to get home from vacation just in time to catch DFA -- wonderful episode.

I was amazed by the "lab," and even moreso by the meal.

I've said it to other folks, and I'll say it again: No Reservations is consistently good viewing.

Has anyone seen both the DVD and the broadcast of "Decoding Ferran Adria"?

Did they have to cut anything for commercials?

~Erik

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Just to be clear, the auction for $1,000.00 was for a reservation at El Bulli and did not include the cost of the meal itself (about a little over $200, US) Specifically, three guys (con artists?) were auctioning on Ebay a spot at their table for the pleasure of dining with them.  As I understand it, Ferran Adria does not charge for reservations, which made this whole thing quite unethical.  BTW, there were no takers.

I'm curious as to what exactly is "Unethical" about this. Nobody is being forced to do or buy anything. Looks to be capitalism in it's purest form. The fact that there were no takers just reinforces this.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Has anyone seen both the DVD and the broadcast of "Decoding Ferran Adria"?

Did they have to cut anything for commercials?

~Erik

I have a copy of the Canadian Food Network version of the show. One difference I noticed between my copy and the Discovery Travel broadcast was that in the latter one of Albert Adria's experiments was cut from the Taller sequence. I decided to buy the DVD from Zero Point Zero because I realized my copy of the Canadian Food TV broadcast probably contains cuts as well.

Edited by rcianci (log)

Seems like some folks may not know about eG's already extensive coverage of Chef Adria and El Bulli from a couple years back. You can start here, the intro to a Q&A with Adria from 2004. That thread has embedded links from other Adria threads on eG, as well.

And now ... back to No Reservations! I noticed Miami is tomorrow night's repeat. I didn't see that one before.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Does anyone know when Travel Channel will re-air "Decoding Ferran Adria"? I have a season pass for "No Reservations" on my TiVo, but it didn't pick up this episode since it was a "special" as opposed to a regular episode of "No Reservations".

I suppose I can set wish list for "Ferran Adria" or something like that.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Does anyone know when Travel Channel will re-air "Decoding Ferran Adria"?    I have a season pass for "No Reservations" on my TiVo, but it didn't pick up this episode since it was a "special" as opposed to a regular episode of "No Reservations".

There is a book out (2006) by a bourdain called 'decoding ferran adria'. i haven't seen this mentioned here in the forum, but it is listed on the net. i suppose it is in book stores, too. should be an interesting read, no doubt.

yeah, the FL episode was great--he found places I didn't know about--that Conch place in Key West, for example.

It's so great to have my kind of food tourism validated--the years of forcing family and friends to go to strange little shacks and stores to find and eat weird stuff--someone else is doing it and they even have a TV show .....

didn't i read somewhere that he goes to NJ in one episode? can't wait for that.

Does anyone know when Travel Channel will re-air "Decoding Ferran Adria"?     I have a season pass for "No Reservations" on my TiVo, but it didn't pick up this episode since it was a "special" as opposed to a regular episode of "No Reservations".

There is a book out (2006) by a bourdain called 'decoding ferran adria'. i haven't seen this mentioned here in the forum, but it is listed on the net. i suppose it is in book stores, too. should be an interesting read, no doubt.

Only the DVD is listed on amazon. Where is this book?

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

[quote name=cowpati' date='Jul 12 2006, 02:21 AM

Only the DVD is listed on amazon. Where is this book?

No book as far I can see. There are a couple of online sites that seem to classify to DVD has a hardcover book. That might explain the mix up.

I doubt a book on this subject would have gone unnoticed in this group for very long.

There is no book. For accomanying prose see chapter in Nasty Bits on my time with Ferran at El Bulli. It covers much the same ground as the DVD.

In other news, we are currently shooting an episode of NR in Lebanon--and it should be video gold. Those kookie-krazy kids from Hezbollah were popping off their weapons today(shooting in the air, I gather)--and Israel has been bombing and mobilizing a division in the South with reported land and sea strikes... (See today's news--and quotes from Israeli PM). While the party continues in Beirut--there's a lot of concern that the Israelis will follow up with strikes on infrastructure (like the power grid). And we were due to head to the Bekka Valley tomorrow.

BTW..this town is Party Central!

abourdain

There is no book. For accomanying prose see chapter in Nasty Bits on my time with Ferran at El Bulli. It covers much the same ground as the DVD.

In other news, we are currently shooting an episode of NR in Lebanon--and it should be video gold. Those kookie-krazy kids from Hezbollah were popping off their weapons today(shooting in the air, I gather)--and Israel has been bombing and mobilizing a division in the South with reported land and sea strikes... (See today's news--and quotes from Israeli PM). While the party continues in Beirut--there's a lot of concern that the Israelis will follow up  with strikes on infrastructure (like the power grid). And we were due to head to the Bekka Valley tomorrow.

BTW..this town is Party Central!

Sounds almost as much fun as your sojourn among the Cambodian party animals, when you had a gun pointed at you. I think you know how to avoid THAT kind of trouble - just try not to get kidnapped. You and your crew would certainly be worth as much to them as any other journalist, missionary, diplomat or relief worker. We'll start working on the ransom money now, in case the Travel Channel won't pony up (!)