• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

That's ashame. I remember watching a couple of episodes years ago. Just a month ago, I finally got a chance to read the book. I wish I can see the places he stayed in.

A Cooks Tour is on Food Network Thursdays at 4am (MTN time)...set your TiVo or VCR...

Thanks!

:laugh:

You're quite welcome--Herp...as in reptiles? Don't wanna get OT here...but I'm a proud mom of a chinese water dragon :cool:

PS: Don't watch Tony eat Iguana Tamales... :shock: can't imagine they would be that tasty anyways...nothing tastes like chicken--except chicken.

anybody else see the ferrian adria episode commercials in last nights episode (or did i just miss them previously)??  in 2 weeks!  is this the episode that was referenced in nasty bits (i think) where food network didn't want it, but bourdain and the crew did, so they went and did it anyway?

I've seen it too. I have a copy. I think it is his best work. I admire Tony's conviction and bravery in putting up his own money to make the show. The whole experience of being with Adria, observing his team at the Taller, eating the food at the restaurant, seemed to make Tony more humble and more thoughtful than before. Pure speculation on my part, but I think No Reservations (assuming it would even exist) would not be as good a show if Tony had not made Decoding Ferran Adria.

Edited by rcianci (log)

PS: Don't watch Tony eat Iguana Tamales... ohmy.gif can't imagine they would be that tasty anyways...nothing tastes like chicken--except chicken.

See Mister? Look, He WANTS to die. Classic.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Just an FYI,

Travel channel will be running "Decoding Ferran Adria" on July 3'd. Set those DVR's kids.

I saw that advertised last week during Bourdian's Malaysia episode.

Funny thing is, when I try set it up a taping on my Tivo the show comes up as the Florida episode of No Reservations.

Monday July 3rd at 10pm right?

When you go to the travel channel website it states that the Florida episode will be aired in that slot.

I am going to tape the episode regardless.

Does anyone know what is going on with this?

Shaun

Edited by chuckyoufarley (log)

"You can take my foie gras when you can pry it from my cold dead hands"

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

I checked Discovery Travel Channel's calendar and "Decoding Ferran Adria" is listed for 10 pm Monday, July 3 and 1 am Tuesday, July 4.

[

And just to keep us all going while through a 2-week "dry" (i.e., Bourdain-less) period:

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/06/26/bourdain_QA/

Click on the sponsor/Honda logo, watch the ad, and then hit enter - it's the only way to get the whole article.

I just finished watching the "Decoding Ferran Adria" episode. I think I have a new favorite. I will definitely be re-watching this episode when it repeats in a couple of hours. It left me quite astounded and even a bit light-headed, in a good way.

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute, but in particular:

- Bourdain's nervousness and a bit of giddiness as to what he could expect from a meal at El Bulli

- Adria's mischievous demeanor throughout the meal and how much he seemed to want the diner's experience to be not just enjoyable or interesting but fun

- How blown away Tony was by everything he tasted and how well he described what he was eating

- It was actually quite sweet that Adria wanted people to know that he and his team weren't just a bunch of cold, clinical types but that they approached their work with excitement and curiousity and even joy

All in all, a great episode.

A couple of questions: is there a source for the entire menu served that evening, and how many/what kinds of wines were they drinking?

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

i know he writes about the meal in more detail in one of his books, but i'm not sure if it's complete.

nervous and giddy, yes! and wearing a sports jacket. it was like prom night for tony.

- Bourdain's nervousness and a bit of giddiness as to what he could expect from a meal at El Bulli

A couple of questions: is there a source for the entire menu served that evening, and how many/what kinds of wines were they drinking?

I just finished watching Decoding Ferran Adria. An excellent show, and an enjoyable one, but I think it's going to take a lot more mental processing to determine what I think of Ferran Adria and what he's doing and how it fits in to my own experience of food and what I expect from it. My husband and I have already had a couple of interesting discussions about the concepts raised.

In this way it reminds me a lot of when I saw Blue Man Group. I know I enjoyed the show, but when people asked me what I thought of it directly afterwards, I didn't really have an answer. It was something I needed to process and think through before I could put together the right words. I still think about it, even years later, and find more things in it. Or maybe I'm finding them in myself.

Perhaps that's what Ferran Adria is aiming at, in which case the show captured it perfectly.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

yes! and wearing a sports jacket. it was like prom night for tony.

hehe--true and funny!

this was a truly fascinating show--what an amazing place El Bulli is--we were thinking it has to be 1000 bucks to eat and drink there per person with such an intense set up.

I would love to eat there--and i love AB's struggling with the standing on the head of all he has learned and done by Adria and gang--and loved how important it was to Adria for AB to "get" what they were doing.

fascinating TV

Zoe

yes! and wearing a sports jacket. it was like prom night for tony.

hehe--true and funny!

this was a truly fascinating show--what an amazing place El Bulli is--we were thinking it has to be 1000 bucks to eat and drink there per person with such an intense set up.

I would love to eat there--and i love AB's struggling with the standing on the head of all he has learned and done by Adria and gang--and loved how important it was to Adria for AB to "get" what they were doing.

fascinating TV

Zoe

Dinner at el bulli costs only €170/$215 per person without wine. Quite a bargain.

Now if I can just get them to take my reservation. :rolleyes:

I saw the show quite by accident last night. Clicking throught he channels, I caught the sight of Tony as he was about to bite into something. I stopped and quickly decided to stay there because he was at El Bulli. Very interesting to watch him as he was describing his impressions, the carrot foam, the sea cucumber skin crisps with yogurt and the fois gras as he said he got it, he understood what Adria was doing. I will try to catch more of this show. Interesting.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I'm not a big television watcher, but I happened to stumble upon this episode unexpectedly last evening, and I was quite impressed. I like Bourdain as an author very much (I still remember reading his New Yorker article that started it all when I was on the subway, and the OMIGOD moment I experienced there). :smile: I've not been terribly impressed thus far with what little I'd seen of him on television, though - his Food Channel Show reduced him from a lively, irreverent and intelligent presence to their usual dumbed-down-crap-for-the-masses fare. But last night's show let him be himself, and I was hooked. I've had the same scepticism that Bourdain had about Adria from what I've read of him, and seeing Bourdain's open but sceptical approach to this method of preparing food was exactly what the world needed. That he was won over by the experience of consuming it says everything. Great show.

I have been fascinated by what I know of El Bulli, which is very little, but this show dragged me into the mainstream of the restaurant and sort of threw it in my face.

Amazing! I know I'll never get there, but I can dream.. :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I have been fascinated by what I know of El Bulli, which is very little, but this show dragged me into the mainstream of the restaurant and sort of threw it in my face.

For those interested in the original documentary Tony undewrote and produced on Ferran, El Bulli and and Adria's "taller", here's the DVD. The Food Network refused to produce it for him as part of A Cook's Tour, so Tony took his "pirate crew" (who eventually became Zero Point Zero) and shot it themselves - out of Tony's pocket. It's about time we all got a chance to see this:

http://www.ecookbooks.com/index.html

For those interested in the original documentary Tony undewrote and produced on Ferran, El Bulli and and Adria's "taller", here's the DVD. The Food Network refused to produce it for him as part of A Cook's Tour, so Tony took his "pirate crew" (who eventually became Zero Point Zero) and shot it themselves - out of Tony's pocket. It's about time we all got a chance to see this:

http://www.ecookbooks.com/index.html

Is there an alt link or POS? Maybe I'm hitting it at the wrong time of day, but the refuses to load up.

~ C

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

Where is this place? Someone tried to auction a reservation on e Bay starting at $1000.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.