• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Pretty cool gig in Korea. Anyone seen the awsome Korean flick "Oldboy"?? Octopus scene, that's what it reminded me of only a little less graphic. Also that confusion about which part of the chicken was which was priceless. No other show would have that :smile:. I really thought this Korean "fixer" was one of the best Tony's had. She really was fun and not just there to be a "guide".

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

It looks like cumin, but it is fennel seeds. Did it also have some brightly colored pieces? If so, there are called wadiali, which is candied fennel, covered in a sugar coating.

It was cumin seed. I asked, and I tasted them. I like cumin, and I don't like fennel seed. I know the difference.

(I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant, or at least the street is it on. You could go see for yourself. I will try and call one of my friends who frequent the establishment and get the directions.)

On a related topic (well, Bourdain TV-related...) Food TV Canada has just started broadcasting A Cook's Tour, on Thursday evenings.

I don't know about the rest of you Canadians, but this pretty much made my day :biggrin:

cheryl

It looks like cumin, but it is fennel seeds. Did it also have some brightly colored pieces? If so, there are called wadiali, which is candied fennel, covered in a sugar coating.

It was cumin seed. I asked, and I tasted them. I like cumin, and I don't like fennel seed. I know the difference.

(I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant, or at least the street is it on. You could go see for yourself. I will try and call one of my friends who frequent the establishment and get the directions.)

http://www.tidalcreek.coop/articles/health...chen-win05.html

http://www.foodingredientsfirst.com/newsma...gory=22&page=23

The South Korea episode was excellent and truly made me want to visit.

On a related note -- I came across this photographic essay and rare look at North Korea on a military photography discussion forum. Really frightening stuff, it really needs to be seen. Make sure you look at page 2 of the forums there as well, there are more pictures.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

On a related note -- I came across this photographic essay and rare look at North Korea on a military photography discussion forum. Really frightening stuff, it really needs to be seen. Make sure you look at page 2 of the forums there as well, there are more pictures.

Thank you so much for posting that link.

My only thoughts are "Oh. . . My . . . God." I thought I understood how bad things were there - but I didn't have a clue.

I watched the Korea episode today, and it made me a little nostalgic. It made my husband crave galbi, but the best we could do was some bun cha out on the street. (Oh well :biggrin: )It was really great to see all those things again, and to see Tony walking the streets of Seoul. My husband and I played a game of, "I know that sign!" "Hey, they're right next to the Krispy Kreme!" Seems like he had a good time, and the feeling of constant exhaustion struck a note with me, as I was always ragged when I lived there. I taught until 10:30 at night and woke up and taught again every morning at 6 am, to businessmen on their way to work. I became completely nocturnal and lived off the soju as well! it was fun for a while, but I've slowed my pace considerably and live much more reasonably now here in Hanoi. I've lost 10 pounds since coming here, just from not keeping such wacky hours and drinking so much. But the "Bballi, Bballi" (hurry, hurry) is a big part of life in Korea...I once saw someone fall asleep at a red light at an intersection - on his bicycle!

Did I miss it?  Or is it the Asia Special where he went to Japan and China?

I don't remember if it was part of the Asia special, but there has been a Japan episode. There are photos of it on the Travel Channel fan site.

The South Korea episode was excellent and truly made me want to visit.

Thanks, JP. This link shows photos we would not be able to find anywhere else.

I liked part II of the India episode because it went off the beated path a bit,even though the first part was colorful and captured some good images it seemed a bit touristy. And Korea was good overall but at times seemed to drag and become repetitive. My favorite is still the Texas/Mexico border. Look forward to the shows ahead.

Re. Indonesia... thank god... someone besides me really likes durian!

I'm not crazy. Oh, good...

And, what a gorgeous episode. I can see the appeal for sure. Unfortunately, I really want some of that pork now...

-J.

anybody else see the ferrian adria episode commercials in last nights episode (or did i just miss them previously)?? in 2 weeks! is this the episode that was referenced in nasty bits (i think) where food network didn't want it, but bourdain and the crew did, so they went and did it anyway?

I really would like to know just how much that cameraman had to take out of his pocket to pay for all the food that he destroyed.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

anybody else see the ferrian adria episode commercials in last nights episode (or did i just miss them previously)??  in 2 weeks!  is this the episode that was referenced in nasty bits (i think) where food network didn't want it, but bourdain and the crew did, so they went and did it anyway?

It's Decoding Ferran Adria, the "lost episode" that Food Network did not end up getting when Bourdain ended up moving to The Travel Channel and when New York Times Television disbanded, and when Chris and Lydia went to form their own production company, Zero Point Zero.

I've seen it, and its definitely worth watching -- although a very different type of experience than either A Cook's Tour or No Reservations. It's highly cerebral and Bourdain is much more serious in it than he normally is. Its very much a transitional type of program.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

anybody else see the ferrian adria episode commercials in last nights episode (or did i just miss them previously)??  in 2 weeks!  is this the episode that was referenced in nasty bits (i think) where food network didn't want it, but bourdain and the crew did, so they went and did it anyway?

It's Decoding Ferran Adria, the "lost episode" that Food Network did not end up getting when Bourdain ended up moving to The Travel Channel and when New York Times Television disbanded, and when Chris and Lydia went to form their own production company, Zero Point Zero.

I've seen it, and its definitely worth watching -- although a very different type of experience than either A Cook's Tour or No Reservations. It's highly cerebral and Bourdain is much more serious in it than he normally is. Its very much a transitional type of program.

Yep, I've seen it too. You can buy the dvd from your local book store (ike I did BAMM) the show a highly cerebral show and what I'd call a sort of hybrid show.

Of what Tony and gang could do if they didn't have to worry about the networks hiher ups. And this show does maybe give look at what maybe ACT could have been Tony and gang weren't forced to go for the lowest of the tv viewer that tv show have to aim for now days.

I'll watch it anyway to see if they did anymore editing to it for TV.

I bought the Decoding Ferran Adria DVD. The food is beautifully photographed. I saw Tony at a book signing in Pasadena on Sunday and he said that the Food Network had said the Ferran Adria show was "too smart." Figures.

I'm trying to figure out if I missed an Episode.  I see on No Reservations Season 2 That there was a Japan Episode.

Yet I don't remember seeing it, and I've been a regular watcher.  Did I miss it?  Or is it the Asia Special where he went to Japan and China?

I found the answer myself - There is no Japan episode, it is part of the Asia special - First half is Japan, second is China. Might be different in other countries.

A brilliant piece of television! I picked up my DVD a while ago and it is a favorite! Gorgeous cinematography and very well presented. It must have been an extremely phenomenal adventure for all involved, and I truly believed the experience lived up to the 'hype' that surrounds El Bulli....a must see for those who haven't yet!

Adria is like a little kid with his creations, and it's quite a joy to watch him watch Tony try everything...

(Edited for atrocious spelling--egad!)

Edited by Segue (log)

Is there a DVD of " The Cook's Tour"? Of all the shows when Bourdain was on the FOod Network somewhere? I try searching for it but didn't come up with anything? Anybody have any ideas? Links?

Is there a DVD of " The Cook's Tour"?

No. It's never been released on DVD. I fear/suspect it will never see the light of day. There's been some problems between the network (yeah, like FN has had much of a clue lately) and production company - if I remember correctly. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will speak up.

That's ashame. I remember watching a couple of episodes years ago. Just a month ago, I finally got a chance to read the book. I wish I can see the places he stayed in.