• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Isn't cracker a racist term?

I'd search for its etymology on Yahoo, but yahoo means yokel, another derogatory term.

Edited by My Confusing Horoscope (log)

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

Isn't cracker a racist term?

No, cracker is not a racist term, although I didn't use it to be flattering. It was used exactly in its correct sense - yokel. And, yes, I do have white Southerners in my family - none of whom are yokels. Thought it might be a little more restrained than "ignorant, bigoted a______s" or "#$@2#%%&*!!!" (And, yes, we have a few of those up here, too - but the New York terminology for those folks is fairly unprintable in a civilized, netiquette-driven forum like eGullet.)

You know the manufactured controversy never ceases to amaze me. I found nothing in the Mexico episode worthy of getting truly offended over.

I thought it was even-handed, truthful, and dare i say it - fair and balanced. I didn't sense any overt political agenda.

So i can only chalk up the anger to people's pre-conceived notions, fears, and political agendas being directly confronts, by what many of us like to call....Reality.

Good job Tony.

Watched the India episode on DVR last night and loved it, too. I think the crew it's finding its stride. My daughter and I think AB clean up real good - the suit looked great. But do you really think the maharaja's son didn't already own an i-Pod? Of course, what does one give to someone who can buy anything he wants?

As for the food - it confirms what I have always believed. If I could make Indian food well, I could almost become a vegetarian - you don't miss the meat with the intense flavors of those Indian dishes.

Watched the India episode on DVR last night and loved it, too.  I think the crew it's finding its stride.  My daughter and I think AB clean up real good - the suit looked great.  But do you really think the maharaja's son didn't already own an i-Pod?  Of course, what does one give to someone who can buy anything he wants?

As for the food - it confirms what I have always believed.  If I could make Indian food well, I could almost become a vegetarian - you don't miss the meat with the intense flavors of those Indian dishes.

What amused me the most is AB getting such a buzz about being invited to a maharaja's palace - and having the prince cook for him. (Okay, so his chefs did the prep work and brought it out to him, but still . . .) Loved the suit, too. AB is still struggling with his unstarched-untabbed-collar-and-not-fully-knotted-tie issues, though - but since he can usually wear the hell out of anything else (his jackets deserve particular mention, as do most of his Ts), I have to give him a lot of style points. (Suits, for him, are like skirts for me. Sheer, unadulterated hell. I understand!) There is a picture of him on Google images in a tux, giving out the media ward at a James Beard dinner a few years ago. So if you liked the suit, you'll really dig the tux.

As for the vegetarian food, I think AB made the same point about vegetarian food in Thailand - it's so good, intense and complex, you don't miss the meat.

Hope the Hindu astrologer/holy man is dead wrong about AB's future private life, though - I felt for AB. I really did (!!)

You know the manufactured controversy never ceases to amaze me.  I found nothing in the Mexico episode worthy of getting truly offended over.

I thought it was even-handed, truthful, and dare i say it - fair and balanced.  I didn't sense any overt political agenda.

So i can only chalk up the anger to people's pre-conceived notions, fears, and political agendas being directly confronts, by what many of us like to call....Reality.

Good job Tony.

As I said to him in the podcast interview we did with him recently, there's nothing better in terms of ratings for a show or a book when people make up petitions to try to yank you off the air or take you off the market. I'd be thrilled.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Watched the India episode on DVR last night and loved it, too....

As for the food - it confirms what I have always believed.  If I could make Indian food well, I could almost become a vegetarian - you don't miss the meat with the intense flavors of those Indian dishes.

I have a friend from India and he says he prefers the 'American' version of Indian foods, the food there is too spicy hot.

Recently, I watched a travel show where the host was watching a local woman in India prepare a dish in her home. Wonderful ingredients, and she added each one with loving care. When it came to the (what she called) 'spice'...the host sort of coughed and stepped back. As the air filled with the heat the camera crew started gagging and a few ran for the door and some fresh air. She couldn't imagine what their problem was. Tears were running down their faces and they had their shirts pulled up over their noses to stifle the firey fumes. What? It was dinner! And I'm sure she had a small dish of cumin seeds to chew on after the meal, just to settle the stomach.

The ABourdain take of India was supurb. Great show! And as far as the guru's predictions, big deal, right, ha! At several points in life, sex is way overrated. :wacko:

The trick is to buy the spices from an Indian source, not your standard supermarket--there can be substantial differences. My local Indian grocery has tons of different spices, specialty produce, and lots of Bollywood DVDs. --which I'm a freak for.

This was another remarkable episode, and such a relief after Pivenfest. I didn't scream, "GET THE HELL OFF THE CAMERA, PIVEN!" even once.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

As I said to him in the podcast interview we did with him recently, there's nothing better in terms of ratings for a  show or a book when people make up petitions to try to yank you off the air or take you off the market. I'd be thrilled.

Just finished listening to the interview on my MP3 player while walking around the grocery store. Very fun interview. I'm glad I got a hint of what the Korea episode would be about.

(Still woulda been better with me in it)

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

Yes, but when is the Travel Channel putting it on iTunes???? I can't get it here in Paris...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I've just watched the India Part 1 show -

Tony - if you see this, i have 2 questions:

1. What were your thoughts on the Maharana's ghee smoking process for the Goat? I've never seen anything like it, and I bet it smelled lovely, but did it add an extra dimension to the meat? smoky butteriness?

2. How was the Bhang Lassi, really? I wish i'd tried to make that in college. Curious to know if it gave you warm fuzzies.

Take some notes tonight and add your input. I will miss this segment on India and cannot find the instructions to 'tape' on the vcr. Danged technology!!!

(The previews look so good, too!)

And something I remembered...the funniest line in last weeks show on India was ...'and after you have your martini with cheese...'

The bartender had given him his best martini made with bombay sapphire gin (which sucks in a beautiful blue bottle)...adorned with an olive stuffed with gorgonzola cheese, ...ewwwww. :)

And something I remembered...the funniest line in last weeks show on India was ...'and after you have your martini with cheese...'

The bartender had given him his best martini made with bombay sapphire gin (which sucks in a beautiful blue bottle)...adorned with an olive stuffed with gorgonzola cheese, ...ewwwww.  :)

I know it sounds weird but it tastes great!.

I had that at a recent dinner out and now I am hooked on having it at home.

BTW Tony, I am also in the group that wants to hear more on the lassi. And I would like to thank you for a great episode. It was so refreshing to see a show on India where the host didn't sound stoned out of his overly "enlightened" mind (Piven, I am looking at you).

Enjoyed both episodes on India, but I have to say that the section on Bombay (Mumbai) barely scratched the surface of the vastly diverse culinary treats it has to offer.

Out of curiosity Tony, did you get to try any Parsi dishes while in India (particularly Bombay)?

Cheers

Percy

I think the show's producers may have unwittingly hit upon something here.

Nari's cheerful demeanor makes her the perfect foil for Tony's off-handed cynical countenance, which sometimes wears a bit thin. I'll bet if she had accompanied him on the visit to Iceland that episode would have turned out completely different?

I especially like her remark about, "remember, no reservations" to a somewhat leary Bourdain during the show.

How does "The Tony & Nari Show: With and Without Reservations" sound. :wink:

Or, hell, just "The Nari Show"! :biggrin:

SB (smitten) :wub:

[

Recently, I watched a travel show where the host was watching a local woman in India prepare a dish in her home. Wonderful ingredients, and she added each one with loving care. When it came to the (what she called) 'spice'...the host sort of coughed and stepped back. As the air filled with the heat the camera crew started gagging and a few ran for the door and some fresh air. She couldn't imagine what their problem was. Tears were running down their faces and they had their shirts pulled up over their noses to stifle the firey fumes. What? It was dinner! And I'm sure she had a small dish of cumin seeds to chew on after the meal, just to settle the stomach.

Clearing up a few misconceptions:

There is one step in cooking many Indian dishes

that involves toasting or frying the spices.

That always releases pungent fumes into the air,

but it's soon over as the spices are folded into the final

dish. The final dish does not taste that way.

And people chew fennel (not cumin) seeds after dinner

as a mouth freshener, not to settle the stomach.

:wacko:

Milagai

Edited by Milagai (log)

Loved the Korea episode, especially Nari's presence and input. She brought a love, enthusiasm, nostalgia and poignancy to the show that I enjoyed immensely. Her interaction with her grandfather and the obvious love they have for each other put a smile on my face and brought tears to my eyes. As for the food, it looked delectable, but I would have liked bit more information about what they were eating in particular all the various condiments/side dishes since my knowledge of Korean food is pretty skimpy.

My main complaint/compliment about No Reservations is that it always leaves me wanting to know more. In my world Tony and crew would have multiple episodes devoted to each country to more fully explore all of the culinary gifts each has to offer. Imagine, five episodes devoted to China or India alone. Now that would be absolutely must see tv.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!