• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

I watched the first show on Osaka. I have the other one taped. Am looking forward to watching it tonight.

On a cook's tour Tony did a show (or was it two) on japan. The episodes had the fish market, blow fish eating, Ryokan(SP?), etc. I thougth the episodes on OSAKA was as good if not better on than that episode. I really enjoyed watching the show and I really like the fact that instead of going to more formal places, he was going to places I think I would go to in Japan.

It really was fun to watch. I can't wait to watch the second half (I think its on china) that I have taped.

If the rest of the season is anything like last night, I will be happy.

Did anyone catch the name of the item they were cooking themselves at the table in what appeared to be an abelskiver type pan? I would love to find a recipe for these things.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I loved the Japan episode in Osaka, and man that sushi bar at the end was heaven!... I loved the China episode (couldn't believe he'd never been there!)

And I am SOSOSO looking forward to the 'leftovers' special next sunday night. I wish I had TIVO :sad:

the tall drink of water...

As soon as I heard them say that last night, I flashed on a blog I've been following called, "Kuidaore".  I think this is what they were saying?

Thank you, that's it exactly! I just did a google search and found this site as well.

I must clarify my earlier statement....I did find the show quite enjoyable. Our VCR and DVR our both out of commision, so watching later was not an option. I rarely can stay awake two hours for anything in the evenings, no matter how hard I try, so I guess it's not just if I'm in the mood to watch, but I've got to be awake to watch. I do look forward to seeing the new season--now I just have to try to remember when to look out for the "leftovers" special! (in reading this over, I see that I'd be a prime candidate for TIVO- :biggrin: -if I could just convince Mr. Squids....)

My roommate passing through while the China show was on:

"Damn, I wanna hang with Tony. There's always shots wherever he is."

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

On the china episode TB goes to a resturant that specializes in stomach. In a couple of the shots, it looks like he eats the tripe with the black "stuff"/lining still on it. When I've gotten tripe (from non-western store), it has the black stuff and I scrape it off. What is the black stuff and can you eat it? what does it taste like?

BTW, the episode was great. I could have done without the ear wax scene. I wish he had spent a little bit more time showing the meal at the farm and at the hot pot resturant.

On the china episode TB goes to a resturant that specializes in stomach. In a couple of the shots, it looks like he eats the tripe with the black "stuff"/lining still on it. When I've gotten tripe (from non-western store), it has the black stuff and I scrape it off. What is the black stuff and can you eat it? what does it taste like?

I remember him saying the black stuff was the best part. I assumed it was like a congealed fat. He definitely ate it, so I'm sure it's safe.

the tall drink of water...

Today on WashingtonPost.com the famous darling of EGullet Mr. Bourdain hosted an online chat session. He answered questions about the show and other topics. As always he was smart, glib and self promoting.

Not sure if you have to register to read it. I am a registered user of this site and the process is painless if you would desire

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6032901850.html

Mike, thanks for that link.

I was happy to see this:

Anthony Bourdain: I'm currently writing my fourth novel, a crime novel set in the Caribbean. Should be out next year.

Sweet.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Mike, thanks for that link.

I was happy to see this:

Anthony Bourdain: I'm currently writing my fourth novel, a crime novel set in the Caribbean. Should be out next year.

Sweet.

And Tony has another book, Nasty Bits, coming out in May - celebrating the "varietal" bits of meat we don't usually eat (snout, tail, etc.) Man, is Tony really into organ meat - and Fergus Henderson's cooking!

Also, for you Tony Live aficionados, he will be speaking in Boston later this year:

http://www.asaeannualmeeting.org/home.cfm

(He's one of the Thought Leader Speakers, according to the schedule, although I find the $495 registration for non-members for less than an hour of Tony a WEE bit steep.)

Neither his Royce Carlton speakers schedule nor any other that I can find seems to have his book-signing schedule yet for Nasty Bits. And, yes, Barnes & Noble IS accepting advance orders for it.

Yeah, Bizarre Foods of Asia was awful: one-dimensional, derogatory, transparent, no charisma, no drama, no humor--bleecccch--I had to turn it off after ten minutes, too nauseating. I'll watch Mr. Bourdain eat a thousand cobra hearts before I see this guy do that frog heart again.

I agree 1000%. I was not loving the frog dish - especially when it was presented with the frog body, plaintive little face looking at you, holding its own guts . . . I started edging off the couch but - TOO LATE! The charred iguana "martini" came out, and it is the ONLY time I've ever had to flee the TV to prevent myself from heaving. And, yes, I grew up in Asia and have met a lot of disturbing food (to an American palate). I think the iguana in a glass might be actually worse than the iguana tamales that nearly did Tony in on A Cook's Tour (Oaxaca episode), but I hope Tony is never asked to test that possibility. The Bizarre Food guy just reports the food - he never really explains it texturally or puts it in a cultural context, like Tony, a professional chef and MUCH better writer/speaker, does. It just comes across as shock/gross-out value. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH.

Neither his Royce Carlton speakers schedule nor any other that I can find seems to have his book-signing schedule yet for Nasty Bits.  And, yes, Barnes & Noble IS accepting advance orders for it.

For anyone in Seattle, the UW Bookstore website says he's doing a Nasty Bits signing on June 13th I think. I'm looking forward to that, and of course the book!

I got a Bourdain "author alert" from Harper Collins a couple of days ago with a title of "Decoding Ferran Adria DVD." But it's not a DVD (the one we've all been waiting for) but a book. There is an excerpt which is obviously fiction, and yet the Washington Post Q&A a couple of days ago asked Tony about fiction and he said he hoped to have a book out next year. Anybody out there make any sense of this??

What I enjoy about Bourdain is his enunciation and eloquence. As a non-native English speaker, I find his narrative clarity brings him closer to all audience. He is game for all foods and I'm game for his shows.

What I enjoy about Bourdain is his enunciation and eloquence. As a non-native English speaker, I find his narrative clarity brings him closer to all audience.

That's an interesting observation. I never would have thought about it until you brought it to my attention, but Tony does have a distinctive manner of speech.

I wonder if it's natural to him, or developed over the years of dealing with so many non-native English speakers in the restaurant business?

SB :hmmm:

I'll bet if they took those black panties off that rough & tumble masseur, he wouldn't be such a roughneck any more. Just warn me so I can look away next time. That's going to leave a mark on the viewership's collective psyche.

The way I see it, that outtake is going to end up in an antismoking commercial.

"If you don't think smoking affects your brain, check this out. Would a clear-headed non-smoker allow himself to get in a situation like this? I don't think so."

I am enjoying this season even more than last season.  One comment - watching Bourdain sit on the side of the road in Sicily, bitching and moaning while someone ELSE changes the flat tire???  Not a  lot of sympathy for you, bud.  :wink:

ALWAY PROTECT THE TALENT!

what you expected Tony to fix the flat himself? only if the show was him out there on his own traveling the world.

I haven't seen the entire show but it looks like a filler show, it took a half hour to film on the road side and then used clips from last season and you have a quick episode. In this case it was a treat for the fans to get to see more of Tony and some behond the scenes shots.

What I enjoy about Bourdain is his enunciation and eloquence. As a non-native English speaker, I find his narrative clarity brings him closer to all audience.

That's an interesting observation. I never would have thought about it until you brought it to my attention, but Tony does have a distinctive manner of speech.

I wonder if it's natural to him, or developed over the years of dealing with so many non-native English speakers in the restaurant business?

SB :hmmm:

I would pin Tony's accent as private-school, suburban NY/NJ, which would make sense, since he went to private schools and was raised in Leonia, NJ. He CAN do a New York accent when he's goofing and his ability to swear in street Spanish is prodigious, as any native New Yorker could tell you, but it's really his Hunter S. Thompson-like colorfulness and gift of articulation that makes him so watchable and readable. Don't forget, aside from being a Gonzo fan and hardcore movie buff, I believe he majored in English at Vassar before dropping out and enrolling in the CIA (Hyde Park, not Quantico!)

I would pin Tony's accent as private-school, suburban NY/NJ, which would make sense, since he went to private schools and was raised in Leonia, NJ.

I'll buy that explanation.

However, that having been said, last night's show failed to hold my attention.

SB (maybe just not a Miami sort of person?) :unsure: