• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

Louisa Chu

Shooting imminently:

Beirut

Are you still going? The nightlife might be a bit cautious after last Sunday which is a damned shame. I really wanted to see you do a Beirut show. Well, knowing beirut you'll still have an interesting time, no matter what...

Where's Tony now? . . .

Contrast this with what he has to say about himself now. “Five years of travelling around the world and visiting places I’ve never seen before has been a humbling experience. Earlier I was a lot more pessimistic and nihilistic, but now I’m a little more hopeful about the basic goodness of the human race. I’m also aware about how strong the human spirit is and the struggle that people go through,” says Bourdain, sitting in his hotel room in Kolkata on Wednesday.

People, places and Palates

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Where's Tony now? . . .
Contrast this with what he has to say about himself now. “Five years of travelling around the world and visiting places I’ve never seen before has been a humbling experience. Earlier I was a lot more pessimistic and nihilistic, but now I’m a little more hopeful about the basic goodness of the human race. I’m also aware about how strong the human spirit is and the struggle that people go through,” says Bourdain, sitting in his hotel room in Kolkata on Wednesday.

People, places and Palates

=R=

Before he landed in Kolkata, Anthony Bourdain, the online encyclopedia Wikipedia.org reports, had lamb testicles in North Africa,
Aw go on, Tony's always had real balls.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this - anyone know when and if some new episodes will be airing?

Haven't seen (or heard) anything lately and wanted to get the latest word on the status of the show...

Just wanted to bump this - anyone know when and if some new episodes will be airing?

Haven't seen (or heard) anything lately and wanted to get the latest word on the status of the show...

March 20th the Iceland special airs - it's a brand new episode. On the 27th there's a two-hour, not sure where Bourdain's going in that one.

March 20th the Iceland special airs - it's a brand new episode.  On the 27th there's a two-hour, not sure where Bourdain's going in that one.

Iceland? He went back?

No, it's not a return trip. It looks more like a behind the scenes, making of, let's add some interviews (Bourdain and his crew) and make it look like a brand new episode.

Okay, so that's a little more snark than that's really needed, but I can smell repacking of "old episodes" a mile out.

Here's hoping that from the 27th on it's new, new episodes. I'll be thrilled to finally have something to watch on Monday nights.

Locations of completed shows soon to be aired:

China (Beijing and Sichuan)

Japan ( Osaka and Kiso Valley)

South Florida ( Miami, Everglades, Key West)

Peru (Amazonia, Macchu Picchu, Lima, Cuzco)

Sweden (Stockholm, Lapland)

Quebec ( Montreal, North north north with Inuits)

Puerto Rico (all over but NOT San Juan)

Shooting imminently:

Ethiopia

Beirut

India (two shows)

Korea

Indonesia

Mexican Border (from Dusk til Dawn show)

Pacific Northwest

Ireland

and more tbd

Your shows are as good as the service at Les Halles is bad. And boy, that was freakin awful. Keep up the good work and thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished watching the repackaged show.

The Iceland episode was the 2nd episode I'd seen of the "No Reservations" show (the first being Vietnam). I remember being highly amused at the misery poor Tony was put through, and this time around, watching the show again with the commentary made it ten times funnier. :)

I'd forgotten all about the elves in the hallway & the blue lagoon. Not to mention the icestorm where they're all stuck in the cave, and the guides get lost in their super-duper jeeps with satellites. And near the end of the show, the hot dog winds up being the best food in Iceland. Too funny!

I'm very much looking forward to next week's new ep!

I just finished watching the repackaged show. 

The Iceland episode was the 2nd episode I'd seen of the "No Reservations" show (the first being Vietnam).  I remember being highly amused at the misery poor Tony was put through, and this time around, watching the show again with the commentary made it ten times funnier.  :)   

I'd forgotten all about the elves in the hallway & the blue lagoon.  Not to mention the icestorm where they're all stuck in the cave, and the guides get lost in their super-duper jeeps with satellites. And near the end of the show, the hot dog winds up being the best food in Iceland.  Too funny! 

I'm very much looking forward to next week's new ep!

I used to watch Tony's shows on FoodTV religiously, but missed most of the last series on Travel Channel. I caught last night's show, but I was actually bothered by it until I began to appreciate the fact they were intentionally making a lousy show about making a lousy show. :huh:

But, enough of that. I hope the new episodes will shed some of the snarkiness and instead recapture some of the spontaneity and wit of the early shows? :cool:

SB :hmmm:

Iloved the show -- Tony being Tony, and you can't get better than that.  Honesty is what makes him so admired by so many of us.  Iceland will survive.

Amen to that. I cracked up not only at his excruciating honesty about what he felt sucked and didn't suck, episode-wise, but at his own moments of excruciating embarassment, misgivings, etc. I always wondered if the "Tony awoken from sleep" bits were staged, but as Chris said, Tony really WAS awakened 15 minutes after he went to bed - because that's when his call time for the "let's go to the gym" segment was scheduled . . . and bad cold or no bad cold (!) Love this "everyman" stuff, and I'm so glad this network lets Tony be Tony. That's why Tonyphiles love him - there's no ambiguity or middle ground with him (!!)

What I really dont understand is how he managed to have such a crappy time in Iceland. I went twice without the help of a network or a fixer or much money...or a clue basically and freekin loved it!

Ok maybe not the shark, the balls were OK it was actually the pickled herring that got me. The hot dogs are damn good...made of lamb, essentially anything made of lamb is great there as is the hot chocolate.

Also had great creamy fish dishes and lobster soup to die for.

Of course our Jeep tour guide didnt land us in a blizzard or get lost...and yes it was winter....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I just saw the most recent episode, where he was in Osaka. He used a term several times throughout the show that I had never heard of, and was trying to learn more about--forgive the phonetic spelling, but it sounded like "kwee-der-ay" Can anybody help me out with this? He said it meant "eating to excess" or "eating to ruin?"

I find that he makes the places he visits appear very approachable. I like the show, but I also have to be in the mood to watch it. It's running from 9-11pm, and the second hour tonight he's in China. I don't think I'll last past the next commercial though. Two consecutive hours is a bit much in one night for me.

I just watched both episodes... I gotta say, there's no such thing as too much Bourdain in my book. Being obsessed with Japanese food, the first episode was pretty much as good as it gets for me. I thought the baseball stuff was great... particularly the book of vocabulary for fans. I have no idea what "my heart bleeds peanut butter" (I think that was one of them) means, but I think I love Japanese baseball.

Did anyone else watch the show beforehand on bizarre foods of Asia? I thought it was really bad... the host said almost everything he ate was disgusting, going so far as to spit out durian and say it tasted like rotten onions in front of the grower while at a durian farm! It was sort of like the anti-No Reservations.

Yeah, Bizarre Foods of Asia was awful: one-dimensional, derogatory, transparent, no charisma, no drama, no humor--bleecccch--I had to turn it off after ten minutes, too nauseating. I'll watch Mr. Bourdain eat a thousand cobra hearts before I see this guy do that frog heart again.

The pilot of the new season of NR was wonderful, loved every second. Beautifully filmed, hilarious, and oh, that food! And beyond the pure entertainment of watching Mr. Bourdain eat and talk, his clear love for the cultures he immerses himself in is always utterly delightful to watch.

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

I just saw the most recent episode, where he was in Osaka. He used a term several times throughout the show that I had never heard of, and was trying to learn more about--forgive the phonetic spelling, but it sounded like "kwee-der-ay" Can anybody help me out with this? He said it meant "eating to excess" or "eating to ruin?"

As soon as I heard them say that last night, I flashed on a blog I've been following called, "Kuidaore". I think this is what they were saying?

At any rate, I'm so glad Tony's back! I taped both shows, and will be watching them over the next couple of nights.

Really, really enjoyed the two hours last night. Thought the show did, as usual, a great job of showing just how much Tony appreciated and respected the cultures of Japan and China, while also allowing his snarky side to come through (the ear cleaning/massage clips at the end were hysterical).

Here's hoping the rest of this season's shows are filled with the same blend of humor, respect, great food shots and tremendous footage as last night...

Here's hoping the rest of this season's shows are filled with the same blend of humor, respect, great food shots and tremendous footage as last night...

I wasn't quite comfortable with Tony's first season on Travel Channel, but judging by last night's episodes they seem to have a better handle on the proper mix of travelogue/cooking/eating/drinking and just general goofing off. :wink:

SB ** knock on wood **