• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamba Juice

marie-louise

They are mostly in CA (no surprise, I guess) but many other states seem to have a few. http://www.jambajuice.com/what/index.html I'm curious what others think of them; I've never seen anyone mention them on eGullet.

In my opinion, these are the perfect food for after a hike-fluid, carbs, and cold. My previous favorite post-hike snacks have been Scharffenberger bittersweet chocolate & ice water; a homemade chocolate chip-oatmeal cookie; an It's-It; or an In-n-Out chocolate milkshake. I actually like these better than any of my previous chocolate treats!!!

I'm slowly but surely finding all of the nearest locations to each of our local parks.

My favorite flavor is Orange-a-Peel,but I also like the cranberry one, Razzamataz, and the two w/ passion fruit in them. The mango one isn't too bad, either. I get the Femme boost.

We have them in Chicago-I went there when I was pregnant and have not returned since. Femme boost and immuno boost were my selections.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

We have one here on campus in DC, and I used to go before work for a Razzmataz or a Strawberries Wild. Haven't been in a while, though. The prevailing wisdom here seems to be 'It's a smoothie, it's healthy! I'll have one with lunch [they are on the meal plan here] and it'll be better than soda!' I always thought that was kind of funny. There might be something to that 'Coldbuster', though.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

My favourite is the Orange Dream Machine. Mmmmmmmm :wub::wub:

My niece visited from Victoria last year and we got her hooked on them. This year, when the nice weather came around, I sent her a text message when we stopped in for our first Jamba Juice of the season. She called me unnaturally cruel...

Alas, when I joined Weight Watchers, I gave up my Jamba Juices. When spending my "flex points" allowance, I reckoned I had to choose between Jamba Juice or alcohol. Alcohol won out, hands down... :raz:

They're great but a small mango shake has about 500 calories (if I remember reading the information correctly). If you have a shake, you should think of it as a meal replacement rather than something that goes along with your meal....unless you're on one of those weight gainer diets1 =)

When spending my "flex points" allowance, I reckoned I had to choose between Jamba Juice or alcohol. Alcohol won out, hands down... :raz:

That's one thing I've always wanted to try but never have: alcohol-jacked jamba juice.

They're great but a small mango shake has about 500 calories (if I remember reading the information correctly).  If you have a shake, you should think of it as a meal replacement rather than something that goes along with your meal....unless you're on one of those weight gainer diets1  =)

Yeah, that's pretty much how I used it at work, typically to replace lunch. All this talk makes me kind of want one, but I had my heart set on Thai today!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

There's a Jamba Juice in our local Whole Foods in Edgewater, NJ. I've been known to get one on the rare occassion we shop there.

They are pretty good, as fruit smoothies go. I like the ones with orange juice as a focal point.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Just yesterday I paid a visit to the original Jamba Juice (fka Juice Club) in San Luis Obispo and had my personal favorite, the Citrus Squeeze. I've always loved these things. At one point I was slugging down 2-3 per day and I won't pretend that was healthy, but it sure was good.

Like Jensen, I'm on WW and find them too high in points to be a regular thing. However, they really can come in handy in airports or if I miss breakfast on my way out to work. (We have one in my commuter train station.) There are a couple of lower-calorie choices and I'll get a small one with a protein boost.

I haven't had one in a while, since there isn't one close by, though I did get them once upon a time as a meal replacement when I could manage to get out for 5 minutes to grab one, but had to stay at my desk working away. They are just so much sugar, though, and even with a protein "boost," not a lot of protein, so I'd find myself on a big sugar buzz for a while and then crash. I will admit that they are tasty. The HQ is just across the street from where I occasionally freelance.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I went to a Jamba Juice for the first time this summer in California with a friend who really likes them. When I ordered my drink, the person working there asked, "Free boost?" Not having any idea what she was talking about, I thought she said "Free juice?" So I said, "Sure!" and some confusion ensued...though I did end up getting a free boost (kind of chalky and not as good as free juice would have been :wink: ).

I started drinking these when I worked in San Francisco as either a breakfast or lunch replacement. They're large enough where you get filled. This past summer, when the Time Warner Center opened here in New York, a JambaJuice opened in the Whole Foods downstairs and, since we live a block away, I'm back on the habit. My 8 yr old daughter's hooked as well. Why not? It's full of sugar.

They're great but a small mango shake has about 500 calories (if I remember reading the information correctly).  If you have a shake, you should think of it as a meal replacement rather than something that goes along with your meal....unless you're on one of those weight gainer diets1  =)

There's only one or two 16 oz. size that have that many calories. Most of them are slightly less than 300 calories. Yes, they have sugar, but it is sugar from fruit juice, not high fructose corn syrup. (They also make some w/ Splenda.) The nutritional infor is on the link I posted. After a few hour hike, I need some sugar. I can't see having them as a meal replacement unless it was really hot. Then it mighthit the spot...

I think the boosts have a taste, but my friends tell me I'm imagining it. Glad to hear someone else thinks so!

yes, i am too close to the jamba juice in the columbus circle 'mall' (ug, i hate saying it) also. but i like the cranberry one. with bee pollen. gives you a nice buzz. ha! (pun intended)

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

i love jamba juice. i hate coffee, so i tell people i'm not coffee-powered, i'm juice poewred. :wink: my favorite is razzmatazz but with the bananas substituted with peaches. mmmmmmm...........

i don't usually get a boost in it, though. they make it taste kinda chalky.

Orange- mango zoom, but rarely- they are very fattening. Here in Hawaii, the people who have the Starbucks franchise also have Jamba Juice, so they are right next to each other all over the place.

That's true in the Bay Area, too, but then, we have a Starbuck's on every corner, so I'm not sure there's an affiliation! :laugh:

PS I only drink the 16 oz. size-they are under 300 calories, about the same as one of those energy bars. Plus, I only crave them after a long (2-3 hour) hike.

I'll head over to JJ and order the largest size they have then just drink, digest, and feel energized for the rest of the day. My personal favorite part about JJ are the wheatgrass shots. Now those puppies will keep you awake and going.

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

They're really good after a workout.

Back when they were first springing up I used to get one for breakfast each day: Citrus Squeeze with no banana substituted with strawberries. That was before they implemented across the board prices, so the Citrus Squeeze was in the cheapest tier. I've recently switched to Berry Lime Squeeze.

Has anyone noticed their Jamba Juices getting more watery or is it just me?

Edited by Hest88 (log)

I like the cold buster and the passion fruit one. Now I want one and the closest one is all the way across town.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!