• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Keg Beer

jld

I'm in charge of beer for a friend's NYE party, so I'm going to get a keg. I always have a hard time picking kegs out, so I thought I'd ask the eG beer experts what they suggest. Here are the requirements:

• Easy drinking - Lots of people will be drinking this, so nothing too distinctive, or bitter.

• Something with a kick - I've been to enough parties where they have watered down black label beer. The designated driver could drink 6 and still be good to shuttle everyone home. Thinking of something in the 5%-7% range.

• Reasonably inexpensive - I'd love to spend ~$80-$100 or so.

I see from your member ID info that you are most active in Pacific NW and Alaska forums. From where exactly will the keg be purchased? If you are indeed in the NW, you have a wealth of options available from area microbreweries and brewpubs. Let us know your location and we will be able to make better suggestions.

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I am in Seattle proper, and you are right that I have a multitude of choices, which is part of what makes it hard. If I were at home, I'd just swing by and pick up a few cases of Pabst which would be easy and make everyone happy. Not so here in Seattle.

I was thinking about getting a keg of Pyramid Snow Cap, but I'm a little worried it would be a little dark (and perhaps too strong) for a party.

Edited by jld (log)

I am in Seattle proper, and you are right that I have a multitude of choices, which is part of what makes it hard. If I were at home, I'd just swing by and pick up a few cases of Pabst which would be easy and make everyone happy. Not so here in Seattle.

I was thinking about getting a keg of Pyramid Snow Cap, but I'm a little worried it would be a little dark (and perhaps too strong) for a party.

If not a WA micro, how about Cascade Ale from Descutes Brewing in Oregon? The beer is similar in style to Bass Ale.

Yeah, definitely stay local (talk about an embarassment of riches...)

If you want something to please a wide spectrum of drinkers I'd suggest trying the Pike Place Pale Ale, or even the MacTarnahan's Amber. They're great session beers, straightforward and not too bitter, yet interesting. The Pyramid Snowcap is probably too strong for this circumstance.

I'm not familiar with the Deschutes Cascade Ale but on the whole I love everything that I've had from that brewery. If they still make Bachelor ESB, I'd look into that one as well.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Given that this is a NYE party and not a "serious beer" type of night I nominate Pyramid Coastline - a classic American Lager with enough character to interest the hopheads but not so assertive as to scare off the Budweiser crowd.

While this beer is inconsistent in bottle (I find that a lot with Pyramid) I have always found it very tasty on tap. ABV is 5% and price point should easily hit your budget.

Please let us know what you finally decide (and why?).

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I'd figure that Red Hook ESB would be a pretty good choice - 5.77% ABV, easy to drink, and probably well-priced (and easy to get). Not very exciting, I know, but, hey, it doesn't sound like these are people into exciting beer. It's a good craft (yes, I know they haven't qualified as a microbrewery in years) "wedge" or "beginner" beer. Or, you could go with their Winterhook seasonal, 6.11% ABV and with a little more character.

"I would kill everyone in this forum for a drop of sweet beer." - Homer Simpson (adapted)

I am not sure what the options are in the PNW (never been there) but around here, my favorite Keg Beer for parties has to be Yeungling. Not sure of the Alcohol content, but it is enough. Dark enough, and with enough flavor, that it will not turn off any beer-geeks (tastes similar to Newcastle Brown Ale), but easy drinking enough that your average college freshman won't turn his/her nose up at it either. It is also dirt cheap for what it is. Then again, I have no clue if you can get it up there...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I think the Stella is a great choice. You just want to provide something that most people at the party will enjoy, with enough alcohol to make it worth drinking. I like Red Hook ESB, but it is a bitter beer, and if you're trying to avoid bitter, you should avoid the ESB.

• 1 month later...
I am not sure what the options are in the PNW (never been there) but around here, my favorite Keg Beer for parties has to be Yeungling.  Not sure of the Alcohol content, but it is enough.  Dark enough, and with enough flavor, that it will not turn off any beer-geeks (tastes similar to Newcastle Brown Ale), but easy drinking enough that your average college freshman won't turn his/her nose up at it either.  It is also dirt cheap for what it is.  Then again, I have no clue if you can get it up there...

I'm pretty sure Yuengling is not yet available west of the Mississippi.

It only started being available outside the greater Philly area about 4 years ago, I think.

Based on descriptions thus far, Pyramid Coastline sounds like the right choice.

I am of course assuming it is available in keg form in the Seattle area.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 1 month later...