• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Marlene Maple Leaves, Bacon & Pecans - A Canadian go

Marlene

Breakfast:

Peameal bacon in the pan. This is not particularly good peameal. While I wasn't looking, the butcher sliced it much to thin. Today when I am out, I'll get more for Christmas day breakfast, and it will be much better.

gallery_6080_493_1103642433.jpg

Ryan's breakfast, scrambled eggs, bacon and texas toast. I managed to take the picture before he covered the eggs in ketchup :blink:

gallery_6080_493_1103642451.jpg

I do not like scrambled eggs, so usually make a sandwhich out of mine. There are few things that process cheese slices are good for, but this really is one of them.

gallery_6080_493_1103642474.jpg

Now, I really must shower and get the errands run (yes, yes, a pizza stone), or I won't get anything cooked today at all.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Texas toast is just thick cut bread. It's twice as thick as a normal slice of bread.

I've checked with the kitchen store in the mall. They appear to have pizza stones. (my husband is never going to let me hear the end of this). After Ryan shovels my sidewalk (there's huge advantages to have a son bigger than you are), I'll be off for a couple of hours getting chicken, pizza stones and assorted sundries.

When I return, shortbread.

In the meantime, you call all telll me how to use a pizza stone. :raz:

Marlene

You're kidding me right?  First of all, what are Grillades?  Secondly, I suppose if you tortured me, I might, just might, consider bringing grits into my kitchen.

Thanks for my first laugh of the day! :laugh:

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Texas toast is just thick cut bread.  It's twice as thick as a normal slice of bread.

I've checked with the kitchen store in the mall.  They appear to have pizza stones.  (my husband is never going to let me hear the end of this).  After Ryan shovels my sidewalk (there's huge advantages to have a son bigger than you are), I'll be off for a couple of hours getting chicken, pizza stones and assorted sundries.

When I return, shortbread.

In the meantime, you call all telll me how to use a pizza stone. :raz:

I'll be interested to learn how to use the pizza stone as well! Great blog!

Making donuts?? Beniets?

I made killer shortbread last night...3 cups of flour, 1teaspoon salt, sifted w/1 cup rice flour, whip 1lb softend usbutter w/1 cup superfine (i used regular) sugar. Add sifted, dry ingred. about a quarter at a time. I added 8 tablespoons of finely chopped candied ginger at the end. Baked in parchment lined pans. about 325 for 30 minutes. when light golden brown, take out of pan CAREFULLY... the rice flour that gives that delicate crumb also makes them well...delicate. they harden as they cool, but you have to cut them warm. get someone (Ryan, dear!) to help you and pull them up with the parchment paper straight up out of the pan (in other words lift on all 4 sides). This way they don't bend in the middle. Slice on parchment, use wide spatula to lift to cooling rack. Later when they were stable, I brushed them off w/pastry brush and drizzled melted white chocolate over them. I was afraid to dip cause I didn't want crumbs in the chocolate (however, the first one would've looked great!). Base recipe is from 'In the Sweet Kitchen' and there are other variations. I love candied ginger. I bought a large can of it from Tues. Morning (they had pizza stones as well) and it chopped like a dream. Usually the stuff I get is like trying to dice carmel. Good luck today, I'll be following that pizza experiment...another thread suggest onion confit for a topping (man, I learn something new EVERY day on this site!!)

Marlene, we leave our pizza stone in the oven 24/7. It sits right on the bottom element as we have a crappy old electric stove. The stone actually helps to radiate heat evenly thru our oven. And we don't have to store it! haha!

donuts- Dayne and I make apple donuts in our fryer. Just slice apples relatively thinly and dip into pancake batter with a dash of cinnamon. fry, drain and dust with powdered sugar! yum!

Hey question for you, I know many people put ketchup on their eggs but what about french toast? My mom was from Thunder Bay and she always put ketchup on french toast!

Ciao tutti!

Until recently, I thought I needed to hide my love of ketchup (and hot sauce) on eggs. But, I've decided to come out of the ketchup closet!

But...I draw the line at French Toast and ketchup!

Lovely blog...I'm still thinking about those pancakes!!

Marlene, as far as your pizza stone investment :wink: I don't think anyone has mentioned how great they are for bread and rolls as well.

And, yes, definitely, the cornbread dressing goes in a pan -- 'cause your turkey's going to have a whole onion (cut in half), two or three pieces of celery and a couple sprigs of parsley in the cavity.

No okra in gumbo? Sigh . . . Well, we can't convert you all at once I suppose! :raz: But if you do decide to do that sometime the best way IMHO is to saute the okra with the onions after they get going (read: hot! pan) then add corn, then tomatoes if you're using those. This sears the okra a bit, adds to the flavor and seals off the perceived sliminess that people can object to. Although once cooked in gumbo there is no slime. :wink:

The gingerbread church is cute -- don't give up the tradition! It's a project certainly, but four hours is making good time! Used to do that with my son too. :biggrin: As well as dozens of fancy-dancy decorated sugar cookies for Xmas and pfeffenueser. :rolleyes: Not the same now without the kids around. Shortbread -- both a candied ginger and a rosemary -- takes the place of the cookies and the gingerbread bakes in a pan.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I've checked with the kitchen store in the mall.  They appear to have pizza stones.  (my husband is never going to let me hear the end of this).

When your husband asks if it's new just say "this old thing? I've had if for ages. I was just waiting for the proper moment to use it." :rolleyes:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Hey question for you, I know many people put ketchup on their eggs but what about french toast? My mom was from Thunder Bay and she always put ketchup on french toast!

I put ketchup on my French toast, as did my entire family. The Spouse and the Spawn put peanut butter on theirs.

I've checked with the kitchen store in the mall.  They appear to have pizza stones.  (my husband is never going to let me hear the end of this).

When your husband asks if it's new just say "this old thing? I've had if for ages. I was just waiting for the proper moment to use it." :rolleyes:

So, just how often does Don look in the oven? Remember "I've had it for ages." For my kids, at Christmas, ages is just a few minutes! :biggrin:

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Whew. I'm back. So I managed to find Lyle's golden syrup, and a pizza stone. I did not however, find any grits. I looked, I swear I did. Both at Brunos and Sobey's but no deal. Gosh darn. :biggrin: I also couldn't find any carmels, or ancho. I did get to fresh chickens that the butcher cut up for me. (Remember, I'm a princess. I don' t do these things myself) :biggrin:

I managed to talk Ryan into going with me. Not because I'm an overprotective, paranoid mother who still hates leaving her child alone at home, but because he always offers to carry bags for me when I shop. I don't even ask him, He just does it. What a guy. Of course the trade off was I had to stop at Blockbuster to let him rent a video game, but heck, small price I figure.

coffee first, then shortbread then I'll start the dough for the pizza. After that, I'll start the chicken brining for tomorrow.

Marlene

We do not put ketchup on French Toast, (which will be tomorrow's breakfast along with bacon). We put butter, syrup and icing sugar on ours. :rolleyes: Ketchup is a must on scrambled eggs whenever I'm forced to eat them, and I can't eat breakfast sausage without it either.

Marlene

So, just how often does Don look in the oven? Remember "I've had it for ages." For my kids, at Christmas, ages is just a few minutes! :biggrin:

Well since I have two ovens, not often :biggrin: , although almost invariably, his dinner is waiting in the oven for him these days.

Marlene

I confess I grew up with ketchup on scrambled eggs. Now I put it on the side add sprinkle on the Tabasco sauce, dip in ketchup for full flavor. :laugh:

But never on French Toast. :blink: We eat ours like you eat yours, Marlene.

Are you doing traditional Scotch Shortbread? Mmmmmm! I always fork-tine mine in wedges then break with fork after cooling.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I have a shortbread recipe from my grandmother so I assume it's Welsh. But this one I get to cut out into cute little christmas shapes. But this stuff melts in your mouth.

Marlene

I managed to talk Ryan into going with me.  Not because I'm an overprotective, paranoid mother who still hates leaving her child alone at home, but because he always offers to carry bags for me when I shop.  I don't even ask him,  He just does it.  What a guy.  Of course the trade off was I had to stop at Blockbuster to let him rent a video game, but heck, small price I figure.

Now that Diana is older, I remember what my mother said. "When your kids are old enough to be home alone, you don't want them to be home alone." Come to think of it, I still remember the names of the kids I knew in HS whose moms weren't home after school. :shock:

Now, back to food!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

While I'm savouring this coffee, before I head back into the kitchen, here's Grandma's recipe for shortbread.

Place 1 lb of butter in a bowl and leave it sit overnight. Add 1 cup brown sugar to the butter and beat until light and fluffy. Then gently fold in 4 cups of flour. Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts if you like.

Roll out onto a floured surface and cut with cookie cutters. Bake until very lightly coloured , about 30 minutes at 300 degrees.

Marlene

OOh I so miss peameal bacon. There is absolutely nothing resembling it in the States. Also, Canadian corn syrup is superior to the American stuff which is just sweet goo. I think the Canadian product is closer to the Lyle's but let us know what you think. Good luck with the pecan pie- butter, syrup and nuts, what could go wrong - even scrambled it would taste great.

And you are the only person that I can say this to this year "Joyeaux Noel et Bonne Annee" !!

OOh I so miss peameal bacon.  There is absolutely nothing resembling it in the States.  Also, Canadian corn syrup is superior to the American stuff which is just sweet goo.  I think the Canadian product is closer to the Lyle's but let us know what you think.  Good luck with the pecan pie- butter, syrup and nuts, what could go wrong - even scrambled it would taste great.

Didn't there used to be a Canadian brand of golden syrup? I had some when I moved down here but I had to replace it with Lyle's, since that's what the import shop carried.

And you are the only person that I can say this to this year  "Joyeaux Noel et Bonne Annee" !!

No, no! You can say it to me too! (and I think Maggiethecat is another ex-pat)

OOh I so miss peameal bacon.  There is absolutely nothing resembling it in the States.  Also, Canadian corn syrup is superior to the American stuff which is just sweet goo.  I think the Canadian product is closer to the Lyle's but let us know what you think.  Good luck with the pecan pie- butter, syrup and nuts, what could go wrong - even scrambled it would taste great.

And you are the only person that I can say this to this year  "Joyeaux Noel et Bonne Annee" !!

Et à vous mon ami :smile:

Didn't there used to be a Canadian brand of golden syrup? I had some when I moved down here but I had to replace it with Lyle's, since that's what the import shop carried.

Beehive is the most common corn syrup sold here I believe.

Ok, what's peameal bacon and why is it different from regular bacon?

Soba

Soba, peameal bacon is cured bacon (not smoked) rolled in cornmeal. All you ever wanted to know about peameal bacon

Shortbread is almost out of the oven, pics in a few minutes. I did them this time in a convection oven, and I reduced the time by about 10 minutes, it seems to have worked well.

Um, I'm rapidly getting to the point where I need to know how to use this lovely new pizza stone I have. :rolleyes:

Marlene

Cookie pics. But before we get to that, here's the horror that is currently Ryan's snack.

Chocolate toaster strudel :blink: He actually had to learn how to use the toaster for these, since I wouldn't make them for him. - No I didn't buy them. Don and Ryan bought boxes of these things when they did my groccerie shopping last week. Note though that he takes after his mother in decorating abilities

gallery_6080_493_1103662231.jpg

gallery_6080_493_1103662256.jpg

gallery_6080_493_1103662272.jpg

Now I know you're not supposed to put sprinkles on shortbreads, but I can never ever resist doing so. Mostly because I have a lifetime supply of sprinkles I think and I'll use any excuse to use more of them up.

I'm about to load the breadmaker to start the pizza dough

Marlene

Oh Oh. I don't have a pizza peel. Now how am I going to get the damn thing onto the stone?

Marlene