• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Marlene Maple Leaves, Bacon & Pecans - A Canadian go

Marlene

Erm. These places carry the Bob's Red Mill line, which includes very decent stone-ground yellow grits (made in Oregon, but an excellent product, nonetheless):

Alternatives Market 

Barn Market

Dominion

Food Basics 

IGA

Loblaw's Market

Sobey's Market

South Oakville Market

I knew Canada was civilized enough to have grits.

Curses.

Well, if you're not committed to that damn pie yet, I sure am...let me make sure the bourbon's fresh...no wait, that's wrong...the PECANS are fresh. he he he (I know the bourbon's ok!)

Ok, ok. I'll do the pie. How hard can pie crust be? :rolleyes:

The walls are up on the church. 10 minutes to roof construction.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Decidedly un-Southern. Authenticity demands Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup. Brooks will back me up on this.

The hell with authenticity if it tastes good. I do think you should make both varieties, take a scientific poll among the pie-eaters (a blind A/B test would be even better). The recipe I use calls for half light Karo syrup and half dark Karo along with a sinful amount of granulated white sugar. I use dark brown sugar instead of white and substitute maple syrup for about 1/4 of the Karo syrup. Its' less sweet and has a more complex flavor than regular pecan pie but doesn't set up quite as well. I'm still working on that aspect fo it but I am inclined to try the Steen's Cane Syrup this year.

I recently tried the fried dill pickles for the first time (at the Penguin Diner in Charlotte NC). They're way better than they might sound to some folks and the Ranch dressing for dipping is a must.

Just curious... is there a traditional food to serve for Boxing Day dinner or is it just a hodge-podge of what's left from Christmas dinner (in whcih case what is traditional for Christmas dinner?).

Decidedly un-Southern. Authenticity demands Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup. Brooks will back me up on this.

The hell with authenticity if it tastes god. I do think you should make both varieties, take a scientific poll among the pie-eaters (a blind A/B test would be even better). The recipe I use calls for half light Karo syrup and half dark Karo along with a sinful amount of granulated white sugar. I use dark brown sugar instead of white and substitute maple syrup for about 1/4 of the Karo syrup. Its' less sweet and has a more complex flavor than regular pecan pie but doesn't set up quite as well. I'm still working on that aspect fo it but I am inclined to try the Steen's Cane Syrup this year.

I recently tried the fried dill pickles for the first time (at the Penguin Diner in Charlotte NC). They're way better than they might sound to some folks and the Ranch dressing for dipping is a must.

Just curious... is there a traditional food to serve for Boxing Day dinner or is it just a hodge-podge of what's left from Christmas dinner (in whcih case what is traditional for Christmas dinner?).

I will of course, now require recipes for pecan pie. :rolleyes:

Boxing day, which is the biggest shopping day of the year here in Canada, is usually leftovers. No one can even think of cooking normally the day after Christmas. Traditional dinner for Christmas? Mine is Prime Rib. Some do turkey and some ham, but more and more people are doing Prime Rib because they have Turkey for Thanksgiving.

Marlene

I'm so glad you're blogging again, Marlene! It sounds like it will be great. BTW, okra really is good in a gumbo, even if you don't like it any other way -- and it's available at some specialty markets! :raz:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

The roof is on the church and the tower is contstructed and setting. I have icing in my hair, on my nose and on the floor. But the thing is still standing so far. . . . .

Marlene

The roof is on the church and the tower is contstructed and setting.  I have icing in my hair, on my nose and on the floor.  But the thing is still standing so far. . . . .

We'll try not to read anything into it if the church crashes to pieces!! :laugh::unsure::shock:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Marlene, good to see you blogging again. Admirably brave, too, the experimentin' part.

I have already learned that health-food-store-ubiquitous Bob's Red Mill grits are respectable, putting to rest an idly floating brain question of long standing.

Also: Will we have gingerbread pix?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

All right. Gingerbread church pics.

This is what it is supposed to look like

gallery_6080_487_1103579201.jpg

I caught a glare on the box. When I upload tonight's dinner pics, I'll try to get a better picture of this.

Beginning to build the church

gallery_6080_487_1103578837.jpg

And the tower

gallery_6080_487_1103578867.jpg

The finished Church and Tower

gallery_6080_487_1103578919.jpg

For all that it looks nothing like what it is supposed to, this is the best result Ryan and I have ever had. And it only took about 4 hours. The fact that it's still standing is a major accomplishment on our part. :biggrin:

Time to start the mac and cheese. I'll be using a recipe from the William Sonoma "American" cookbook, which I'll try to adapt so I can post it here later.

If I had the energy, I'd make something to go with it, but the Church took it all.

:rolleyes:

Marlene

Aw, cute, Marlene. Puts me in mind of the whipped-Ivory-Snow frosted Mission Santa Barbara I made in fourth grade.

More to the point, inspires me to make some gingerbread cutouts right quick here. Dunno I'll be actually constructing anything, however.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Lovely church, Marlene. You go girl! I'll be reading along.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If I had the energy, I'd make something to go with it, but the Church took it all.

Once again, we are foiled in our search for a green vegetable on Marlene's blog.

I think the church looks great -- the last time I saw a building that charming, I was on Mulberry Street.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Anna N,Dec 20 2004, 05:17 PM

Lovely church, Marlene.  You go girl!  I'll be reading along.

Thanks Anna. It's as close as I can get these days! :biggrin:

Dave the Cook,Dec 20 2004, 05:18 PM

Once again, we are foiled in our search for a green vegetable on Marlene's blog

What's a green vegetable? Actually, I'll have you know, I've some asparagus in the fridge with with I shall make stir fried sesame ginger asparagus one night this week.

I think the church looks great -- the last time I saw a building that charming, I was on Mulberry Street.

Very funny. :hmmm: You do it, hero :raz:

Marlene

Sigh. The Mac and Cheese is in the oven, the lad is otherwise occupied (read camped out in front of the t.v.) and I'm going to have a glass of wine. I deserve it.

In the meantime, here's the Mac & Cheese recipe, adapted from the WS cookbook:

Heat the oven to 350 and butter a 2.8L baking dish.

In a boiling pot of water, throw in 1 lb of elbow macaroni and cook, stirring occassionally for 6 minutes.  Don't cook it any longer than that.  Drain.

In the meantime, heat 3 cups of milk to a simmer.  In a separate pot, melt 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter and add 1/4 cup flour.  Whisk, reduce the heat to low and let bubble without browning for about 2 minutes. 

Slowly add in the simmering milk and continue whisking.  Bring to a boil and whisk until thickened.

Remove from heat  Stir in 1/2 lb Old Cheddar Cheese, 1/2 lb of Montery Jack cheese and 1/4 lb blue cheese.  Add some pepper and a little tabasco sauce.  Add the macaroni and stir until well mixed.

Pour into the buttered baking dish.

Melt 3 T of butter and mix it with 1/4 cup of bread crumbs.  Sprinkle the crumbs over the top.  Bake, uncovered for about 40 minutes until bubbly and browned on top.

I did forget to mention that for the bulk of the week, it will be just Ryan and I for dinner. Some nights, I'll keep things warm for Don, but Mondays are late nights for him usually these days. It is after all, the beginning of the hell fondly known as Audit Season.

Marlene

marlene,

your gingerbread house looks so cute! i've never made one and always wanted to when i was little - ryan's lucky. if he doesn't know it now - he surely will one day. a mom who not only makes a gingerbread...edifice but also makes mac & cheese from scratch and doesn't wreck it by making him eat some dumb old broccoli is a mom worth lobbying for.

looking for a daughter? :wub:

i'm very much looking forward to the rest of your blog (i was in serious withdrawl) and good luck selling your house!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Congrats on the church!

My friends and I have made gingerbread houses for years, it's our tradition. Some of my friends have switched to using glue guns for their base structures(!!) but I persist with just icing. I get teased every year when something collapses but we always have a lot of laughs.

Pecan pie: one of the best things about the holidays.

Here's how i do it:

1 cup syrup (Lyle's golden or dark karo)

1 cup brown sugar

4 eggs, beaten

5 tbl butter, melted

3 tbl bourbon

1 tbl vinegar

1 1/2 cups pecans

1 unsweetened pie crust

Put nuts into crust. Combine remaining, pour into crust. Bake 350 for 50-60 minutes.

I like to turn the pecans on top to make a design, like a christmas tree, if i have time.

See, don't be intimidated by pie. Southern cuisine was not meant to be complicated.

Edited by M. Lucia (log)

BTW, I forgot to mention that our house is up for sale.  It's been very quiet, and I figured we wouldn't have any showings till after Christmas as we haven't had any for two weeks.  So naturally, the morning my kitchen is a complete disaster from pancake making et al, doesn't the real estate agent call to say there'll be a showing in half an hour.

I'm now catching my breath after 25 minutes of frantic cleaning.

Xmas, blogging and showing the house? Of all of these, showing the house is the absolute worst. When we did it last year, they always called with about a 10 minute warning on a muddy day when the kids were home from school having a snack.

I had read things about food smells in a house that is being shown. They recommend stuff like bread baking, cinnamon, etc. The afternoon we sold our house, I had been doing the braised bacon from Zuni Cafe cookbook. So, I get The Call -- that someone's going to be there in 10 minutes. Diana got busy and cleaned, I stuck the bacon into the garage, got kids ready and got out of there. The house smelled heavenly. In fact, at the closing, the buyers commented on that wonderful aroma!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Clueless questions will abound, trust me.  In the meantime, just spread your coat over that puddle for me would you?

Pie crust?

I've found that with a single crust pie - the crust isn't super-important - and that Mrs. Smith's is better than I can make in my usually too warm kitchen. As for that pecan pie - my favorite is pecan pie on the bottom - with sweet potato pie on the top. They really complement one another. Have a recipe if you're interested. Robyn

Dinner is done, the dishwasher loaded, and I've a brief respite in which to get some eG work done before the lad decides he's hungry again. (Let's time it. I give it until 7:15. - It's 7:02 right now.)

Tonight's dinner - Mac and Cheese

gallery_6080_487_1103587191.jpg

Ready to go in the oven. I always use way more bread crumb topping than a recipe calls for. Sprinkle? Pah! I spit on sprinkle. I want substance.

gallery_6080_487_1103587211.jpg

Out of the oven.

gallery_6080_487_1103587231.jpg

Now serving. . . . .

My son who is a life long KD addict declares this the best. (I've made this a whole two times now). Slowly, ever so slowly, I'm converting the lad. :biggrin:

Marlene

Dinner is done, the dishwasher loaded, and I've a brief respite in which to get some eG work done before the lad decides he's hungry again.  (Let's time it.  I give it until 7:15. - It's 7:02 right now.)

7:15 on the nose. Chocolate covered pretzels. :blink:

Marlene

Marlene -

Everything looks stunning so far.

With regard to fryer oil: Wow, I have never heard anyone recommend Soybean Oil (I am assuming that is what Soya oil is) before. I thought Soybean oil was what was used in cheap industrial products and was agreed upon to have an odd taste.

Personally I heartily recommend Peanut oil for all of your frying needs. Very high smoke point, clean flavor, easily re-usable, and not too expensive.

Also, if you want to experience southern cooking bliss, look no further than Southern Style Collard Greens.

Take a big bunch of greens, wash 'em a couple times, chop them into tight little spirals (There is a fancy French word for this which I don't recall, I just roll 'em and cut 'em).

In a huge stockpot sautee some butter, some ham hocks, and about half an onion. Garlic works well too, along with a dash of red pepper, but aren't really traditional. Add the greens, let them wilt, and when they get smaller, add in a couple cups of chicken stock.

Cover it up, let it cook on low for hours and hours on end, taste and salt and pepper to your liking. Add a dash of vinegar before serving.

Oh, these must be served with a bowl full of chopped raw white onions soaked in vinegar (my preference is the harsher the better, raw white vinegar works very well, although cider vinegar does add a nice touch).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I agree about peanut oil as a great choice, though I wouldn't call it cheap, except in comparison to the even more desirable grapeseed oil.

I won't comment on greens, though I love this techinique (is chiffonade the term you were looking for?). Call me a pariah, but I'm not a fan of the long-simmered variety.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

All right, although food isn't over for today (I heard Ryan muttering about popcorn), I wanted y'all to start thinkin a spell on tomorrow.

Tomorrow's experiment will be homemade pizza. Now, I'm going to cheat and make the dough in my bread maker, but after that, the floor's open.

Wed will be the Fried chicken experiment. It would have been tomorrow, but I've decided to test two recipes side by side. Dave's deep fried and Brook's skillet fried. As Dave's recipe needs brining and then soaking in buttermilk overnight, the chicken will have to wait until Wed. After all, we can have Dave saying it wasn't a fair test now can we? :biggrin:

Now then, what do you want for breakfast?

Marlene