• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Marlene Maple Leaves, Bacon & Pecans - A Canadian go

Marlene

It looks delicious. Nice work. Next week we'll tackle ettoufee. Get some shrimp, you'll need about 2 lbs., eh?. :wink:

Now, as for the use of the vegetables. If you look at the photo of the "veg done" , you will notice that they look like I have added liquid-well, I haven't. The vegetables are cooked covered, which does two things-it prevents them from burning and it also retains all of that delicious liquid that would normally just steam out of them into the atmosphere and be wasted. That probably makes up for the difference in color and clarity. It looks great.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Very likely Brooks. I didn't know I was supposed to put the lid on! And I think I had way more roux than I should have. Still it was good.

I'll be back in a little while to wrap this up folks. I have to say, it's been a lot of fun!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Gumbo looks fine, Marlene, quite delicious in fact! Good color for your roux, the beginning of all that good LA meal in a pot food. I told you to count on an hour or more for the roux. :rolleyes::laugh:

And somehow I just didn't expect you to have as many vegs in there. :raz:

Just think how much happier you are that it was only the bread machine, not the kitchen plumbing. :laugh:

If you learned half as much as I did, I've accomplished my objective. I wanted to let people know that even though almost all of us cook, there are some things we've never done, don't know how to do and need help with. I knew y'all would come to my rescue and you did. I wanted people to participate in the process and you did. And you didn't even laugh at me - at least to my face 

It's been a great week, thanks so much for sharing your holiday time, energy and your new experiences with us. I don't think anyone would consider laughing at your considerable efforts, my dear. :wink: Applause! :biggrin:

edited for typo

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

:blink: Hey, I followed Dave's quantities! I suppose he knew :biggrin: .

Anyway, it has been a great week. I've really enjoyed this folks. There's a few things I'm going to go back and try again, like biscuts, but overall, everything was more or less a success with a few stumbles along the way. I know that things like skillet fried chicken and pizza are going to be making a more regular appearance on my menu.

Dave, Brooks, Dean, Judith. My southern family. Thank you. Rachel, your advice was timely and spot on. Everyone else, thanks again for the recipes, the tips and for playing along.

I do have more cooking to do this week to get ready for our New Yearl's open house, but I'll see y'all over in the entertaining thread for that.

Am I a southern Mama yet? :biggrin:

Marlene

It looks delicious. Nice work. Next week we'll tackle ettoufee. Get some shrimp, you'll need about 2 lbs., eh?. :wink:

Now, as for the use of the vegetables. If you look at the photo of the "veg done" , you will notice that they look like I have added liquid-well, I haven't. The vegetables are cooked covered, which does two things-it prevents them from burning and it also retains all of that delicious liquid that would normally just steam out of them into the atmosphere and be wasted. That probably makes up  for the difference in color and clarity. It looks great.

I think we should get Marlene to make a New Orleans Jazz Festival Meal :wub: :

Fried Alligator

Spinach-Artichoke Casserole

Crawfish ettoufee

Sweet Potato Pone

Mayhaw Man, do you have a recipe for Spinach-Artichoke Casserole ala New Orleans Jazz Festival? I can't seem to find one on the net.

Thanks Marlene for a great thread! I think you deserve an honorary degree as a Southern Fried Chick! Thanks for making me homesick! :raz:

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I'll bet you can't get alligator in snowy Ontario. :laugh:

You were a great sport, Marlene, and I really enjoyed being part of your audience.

P.S. Crawfish etoufee -- yum!

Michael aka "Pan"

I'll bet you can't get alligator in snowy Ontario. :laugh:

You were a great sport, Marlene, and I really enjoyed being part of your audience.

P.S. Crawfish etoufee -- yum!

Sorry, the alligators are all frozen here. :biggrin: Crawfish etoufee? Let's not get carried away here.

Marlene

Thanks Marlene for a great thread! I think you deserve an honorary degree as  a Southern Fried Chick!  Thanks for making me homesick! :raz:

I'll vote for that. Marlene for Southern Fried Chick!

Yeah, you got your honorary Mama status. :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

How did I miss this??

thank-you marlene for this wonderful bloq

beautiful pictures

I loved those pancakes

that gumbo looks great, I have made a few rouxs and you can not take your eye off that pot for one second. :biggrin:

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I would bet Ontario streams are full of crawfish -- in the Spring. Ryan can probably fill his pockets with them. But in the market, it's probably Chinese bugs, the use of which I think none of us would condone.

But there's always shrimp etouffee!

Thanks for a wonderful blog, Marlene. I hope you had as much fun as we did.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Kielbasa?  Okay... we can let it go.  This time. It's hardly to be expected that you'd have Andouille or Boudin on hand.  :biggrin:

I appreciate the absolution :raz: I'm expecting a care package from all the Southerners now :biggrin:

Marlene

I would bet Ontario streams are full of crawfish -- in the Spring. Ryan can probably fill his pockets with them. But in the market, it's probably Chinese bugs, the use of which I think none of us would condone.

But there's always shrimp etouffee!

Thanks for a wonderful blog, Marlene. I hope you had as much fun as we did.

We'd rather Ryan didn't fill his pockets with these. He'd forget to take them out, and I'd find them while doing laundry :blink:

I had a marvelous time. More importantly, I learned a lot. Thank you.

Marlene

Is is 7 days already? Wow, that went fast.

Thanks Marlene!

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Kielbasa?  Okay... we can let it go.  This time. It's hardly to be expected that you'd have Andouille or Boudin on hand.  :biggrin:

I appreciate the absolution :raz: I'm expecting a care package from all the Southerners now :biggrin:

Not that I haven't had decent Kielbasa, but it's the 98-pound weakling of sausages in some ways. It's from a completely different tradition, I think--all smooth and even and uniform tasting.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"