• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soave-The Incredibly Beautiful Walled City

Joe H

Has anyone done this? We stopped off here after several days in Verona. Driving on the autostrada towards Venice my wife spotted the stone walls draped down a hillside not that far from our next exit. Entering it we found that much of it had been restored; in fact condos were being sold from renovated one thousand year old structures while a hotel had been carved out of another, perhaps, Roman era structure. Soave was enchanting! And, despite the American dollar at $1.34 to the Euro (!) a very real bargain in Italy! Quintarelli valpolicella was E34 Euros, Dal Forno valpoicella E46. The hotel, a four star, had a suite (a suite!) for E 110!

There were also at least a half dozen restaurants and another half dozen wine shops that I wanted to eat and drink my way through. Only time prevented this.

We will return to Soave next year regardless of the Euro. It is that much of an attraction for us. But has anyone been there? Has anyone sampled any of the restaurants or spent any time wandering through the many wine shops?

I have gone... Pierpan winery is right there in the village,as are many others.

When I was there, it was harvest time so Pierpan was closed.

I went to another lovely old winery which was open, LA Cantina del Castello, with it's underground facilities.

then went to theCooperative'snew space.. looks very California, gadgets and all , great space!

here is some info

Saw lots of bikers here.. great flatlands to ride!

We ate out on the river,.. don't remember the name.. where all the locals were.

Also there is a nice winebar right in the village that will do a flight of wines with food.. funky but nice.

I have gone... Pierpan winery is right there in the village,as are many others.

When I was there, it was harvest time so Pierpan was closed.

I went to another lovely old winery which was open, LA Cantina del Castello, with it's underground facilities.

then went to theCooperative'snew space.. looks very California, gadgets and all , great space!

here is some info

Saw lots of bikers here.. great flatlands to ride!

We ate out on the river,.. don't remember the name.. where all the locals were.

Also there is a nice winebar right in the village that will do a flight of wines with food.. funky but nice.

Divina, this is one of the most enchanting, interesting places that I have found anywhere. We were floored by it, even considered shopping for a condo in one of the renovated buildings!!! We will go back next year and spend a night or two allowing us to explore. But living in the U. S. this receives no publicity or even recognition at all. To just drive by and find this was remarkable! Having about 700 bottles myself and being as obsessed with food as anyone you could ever meet, this for me, was like accidentally discovering Mecca! In fact for that matter we really like Verona which does not receive the attention it should in the States.

Thanks for the links.

You are in Tuscany, am I correct? Christmas in Tuscany! There must be worse places on earth to be right now!!! Merry Christmas, Divina!

I work in FLorence.. but live in Certaldo, about 7 miles from San Gimignano.. yeah... tough life!!!

One of the reasons I love Italy so much, is that it is FILLED with unexplored treasures..

I often feel I am on a scavanger hunt.. and each turn in the road, gives me another surprise.. I adore getting lost..

I also love Lazise, on the lake outside Verona.. more touristy.. but lovely. never seen it in an American guide book!

I was setting up a culinary week for groups based at the Foresteria Alighieri (Fabulous spot) and while exploring.. found a great tourist office.. that gave us so many ideas of incredible places to visit.. I may also have to move there!!!

Although the last time I was in PietraSanta.. I decided that is where I may move to next!!! I really miss a beach..

Small villages are Prizes for the tourists with an adventuresome spirit

I feel the same way when I get into the heart of Chiavari on the coast, an otherwise unappealing town.a little too big.. but the historic section is filled with food treasures and looks a lot like old Nice!!

Edited by divina (log)

We will return to Soave next year regardless of the Euro.

I think you'll find the Euro's not the problem, rather, the dollar!

When I last went to the US, I got 1.56 dollars for my pound; now it's nearing 2. Good for me, of course, but hardly conducive to tourism the other way around.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

It is everything I can do to force myself not to make more of a political statement here. I represent both a Canadian company and a German company in my industry-an industry in which no American company has any acceptible presence to speak of. This can be quite expensive to the American buyers that depend on capital equipment from manufacturers like mine for growth and to maintain market share. Expensive if they buy, expensive if they don't and lose revenue from lack of new product. Perhaps I can mention that I wish W had travelled a bit more before running for office and wasn't quite so black and white in his considerations. An American dollar that now is $1.355 to the Euro, for me, is frightening from many perspectives. Of course some would say I have a vested interest-and I do. Still...