• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Conch?

richl2214

I usually make my salad with the canned variety of conch(scungilli) but I would love to try and acquire some fresh conch. Problem is my local supermarkets don't carry it and there are no seafood markets that I know of around me. Any help in the Northern NJ area where I might find it?

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Rich,

I'm betting that you can find it in the Ironbound...I have a few friends who always go there for seafood, esp around the holidays. I know for certain that one of the fish markets they frequent is across the street from Adega Grill, right on Ferry Street, about 4-5 blocks behind Penn Station. It will be on your right-hand side (AG is on the left); if I can get the name of it for you tomorrow, I'll post it. You could also call the main Seabra's market to ask if they carry it.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

And PS to Rosie...who says Maplewood isn't north Jersey??? :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I'm not sure, but if anyone carries it, Corrado's in Clifton does.

Also, I would give Fascino a call and ask them where they get their's from. Their distributor might then tell you which stores they sell to...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Thanks guys. I know Fascino buys theirs flash frozen.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

I've Bought fresh conch at the giant market in hackensack on river street, just south of the white manna. They usually have it in stock. Just about any good fish monger will order it for you although the price might not be right.

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

With my co-worker sitting here, here's the name of the fish market on Ferry Street: Popular Fish Market. He says they have just about everything...you may want to call to be sure. "Freshest fish around and the best prices..."

Popular Fish Market

(973) 344-7939

Address:

129 Ferry St

Newark, NJ 07105

Cross Street:

Between Monroe St and Madison St

Looks like Popular has it in. Thanks Curlz! Ill have to stop in Adega for a pitcher of Sangria while I'm at it to take advantage of the free parking. :)

Yes, you will!! Adega is a really nice spot...my new favorite in the Ironbound. Glad I could help! :biggrin: