• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone recognize this wine?

Rebel Rose

I'd forgotten how fun it is to work the tasting room the weekend before Christmas. Everyone brings me gifts! Among them is this lovely bottle of white wine labeled Ceche' Chevrignon. What a mystery. Of course I had to open it right away! It was clearly a sauvignon blanc, with a very leesy and yeasty aroma, a little bit of a roasted asparagus aroma that was actually interesting and not unpleasant, ripe pineapple and strong fresh kiwi fruit, and a clean finish. My friend Sarah thought it was a little "woody" but we settled on kiwi fruit with the skin. A thicker, slightly ML mouthfeel, along with some deeper fruit notes and the strange name made us pretty sure that something else is blended in.

I guess semillon. Dennis Sharpe of Alto Pomar Vineyard thinks it's pinot blanc. Jim Jacobsen of Jimmy's Vineyard suggests chardonnay. Jacob Raines of Full Circle Cellars and a visiting vascular surgeon refused to commit, but they liked it. There were swirls of yeast lees in the last few inches, so I'm guessing unfiltered, unfined, unstrained.

All in all, we had a great time playing with it, and as you can see, we had drunk half of it before I had an opportunity to snap a picture. I hope it's not too high in alcohol! :wacko:

gallery_17061_225_1103492355.jpg

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I'd forgotten how fun it is to work the tasting room the weekend before Christmas.  Everyone brings me gifts!  Among them is this lovely bottle of white wine labeled Ceche' Chevrignon.  What a mystery.  Of course I had to open it right away!  It was clearly a sauvignon blanc, with a very leesy and yeasty aroma, a little bit of a roasted asparagus aroma that was actually interesting and not unpleasant, ripe pineapple and strong fresh kiwi fruit, and a clean finish.  My friend Sarah thought it was a little "woody" but we settled on kiwi fruit with the skin.  A thicker, slightly ML mouthfeel, along with some deeper fruit notes and the strange name made us pretty sure that something else is blended in. 

I guess semillon.  Dennis Sharpe of Alto Pomar Vineyard thinks it's pinot blanc.  Jim Jacobsen of Jimmy's Vineyard suggests chardonnay.  Jacob Raines of Full Circle Cellars and a visiting vascular surgeon refused to commit, but they liked it.  There were swirls of yeast lees in the last few inches, so I'm guessing unfiltered, unfined, unstrained.

All in all, we had a great time playing with it, and as you can see, we had drunk half of it before I had an opportunity to snap a picture.  I hope it's not too high in alcohol!   :wacko:

gallery_17061_225_1103492355.jpg

I made that wine. It's a 50-50 blend of Sav Blanc and Semillon, 100% ml in Nadalie Barrel, Tvansaud Reymond. Name was lifted from a Bichon Winery blend of the same type. We are 5 amatuer winemakers here in Sonoma. Vineyard is a Orange Ave And Solano Ave. Bottling pics are here. http://homepage.mac.com/winesonoma/PhotoAlbum21.html :biggrin::biggrin::laugh::laugh: Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Wow-small world, or is simply everyone on eGullet these days? :wacko:

Bonus points if you can translate the French at the bottom of the label. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

And I just learned who gave it to you. Really small world on eGullet. :wink:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

I agree that this is a very pleasant wine. At first I was caught off guard as I was somewhat thinking it was a straight Sauvignon Blanc, but being that I was in quiite and inebriated state when I received the wine I wasn't quite sure.

The semilllon characteristic is definitely there as well as the grassiness of the Sauvignon. I didn't catch the kiwi but definitely picked up the pineapple. All in all a very pleasant wine.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Bonus points if you can translate the French at the bottom of the label. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Ah, I'm busted! :laugh:

I did know you made the wine, but I'm proud to have guessed the semillon!

And do I get bonus points if I looked it up here? We thought maybe fous meant "nuts," so we were close!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Bonus points if you can translate the French at the bottom of the label. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can't make out the last word, but I know what it means so far.

mis en bouteilles à l'hôpital des fous :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bruce Frigard

I can't make out the last word, but I know what it means so far.

mis en bouteilles à l'hôpital des fous :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I didn't know J D Salinger made wine

<<Château D'Eau Winery >>

And this tag line is the funniest of all for those who know the French love of word play at the towers that dot the countryside.

Hmm.. are you from time to time ameliorating your wines with a bit of Eau??

Happy Holidays to all and thanks for the grins.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover