• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

glassware v. stainless for baking?

gweixel

Just wondering if there is any reason why baking something such as a lasagne in a lasagne pan would be better in all-clad's $99 stainless (w/ no alum core) than a much cheaper glass pan of the same size? i cant think of why the stainless would be better, but wanted to check in before i pass the all-clad pan up.

thanks!!!

I can't think of any reason to spend that kind of money for the All-Clad if things like lasagna are what you would be doing with it. Actually, the cheaper Pyrex® might even be better. The heat should be more even. The more I think about it, the idea of a ss lasagna pan just doesn't make a lot of sense. If it isn't the heavy All-Clad stuff, I doubt if it would double as a roasting pan very well. Putting it on a burner to deglaze might warp it. So now you don't even get the perk of a double duty use. Even better would be pottery like Emile Henry.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If you want to do a large batch and get double duty out of a pan, check out Sur La Table's store brand tri-clad roasting pan for $150. It is the same as the type All-Clad used to make before they changed to an all SS (no aluminum core) roasting pan, but kept the price the same as before ($150).

Otherwise, I agree with Linda, take a look at the Emile Henry or other earthenware bakers.

I've used pyrex for the last two lasagnas I've made but the all clad lasagna pan is on my christmas list.

Not that I think there's any advantage to a ss lasagna pan, and the pyrex works very well, except it's a bit small.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

There are few Pyrex baking dishes that are really deep enough for lasagna.

I have three of these as I usually make three varieties of lasagna for parties.

Penney's have it cheaper, it is essentially the same one.

lasagna pan.

I also have one of Tom Castiglione's lasagna pans (stoneware) but while it does produce a lovely lasagna, it constantly bubbles over. It could be just a bit deeper.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This place has the VillaWare pan for 29.95.

It is the same as the ones I have.

I just paid more........... :hmmm:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett