• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special Dinner Suggestions For 20-30 People

squids

Calling out to the crowd for suggestions for a large group (may be as little as 20 or as large as 30) We'll be staying at the Marriott Worldgate near Dulles/Herndon, and while it is a very special event, my folks are protesting that they don't want a fancy production--just "go out to dinner with the family." They've made the requisite noises that relatives have already invited themselves from out of town.

We'll be looking at possibly doing something at the hotel, but since they don't want a big production, I'd like to look into restaurants that may be close by to the hotel. The event will be in early Feb, which is coming up fast, and since I live in MD, I'm not as familiar with the neighborhood spots in that neck of the woods.

There will be a wide variety of eaters, with children from 2 to tweens, and differing dietary needs so a varied menu is best--which precludes Asian and most other ethnic choices.

Is there any hope for us? :unsure: I'm open to any and all suggestions. Please let me know!

Edited to add that price will be a factor as well--

Edited by squids (log)

I recently put together a lunch for about 20 people over at San Vito Italian Restaurant in Herndon. While we didn't have a private room, the food was really good. If you do a search on this board, you should see a couple of posts about the restaurant.

Close to the hotel (but not within walking distance) is Euro Bistro in Herndon. They have a fairly eclectic menu that should be broad enough to satisfy a crowd.

Within walking distance of the hotel is a Bertucci's restaurant. They might have a private room (if that is what you are looking for). I know you said that Asian food might be out, but next door to the hotel is Matsutake, which has several hibachi tables in the back of the restaurant, which could be fun for a large group.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

Clyde's at Reston Town Center does well with large parties, and their menu has enough variety to satisfy most. In fact, most restaurants at Town Center would be able to accomodate you. I'd second El Manatial as well. Carrabba's is basically your typical Italian chain restaurant ala Macaroni Grill or Olive Garden. You mentioned price- the Tortilla Factory in Herndon has been around for ~30 years, so someone must like them :). Seriously, it's decent mexican food with decent prices.

Good luck- let us know where you end up!

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! We're still in the early stages of planning, but I'll definitely post updates as we get more details planned. Now, if someone could just find me some time to do the planning... :wacko:...:rolleyes: !

It could, but I believe that's owned by the Group that owns Artie's. I've always wanted to try it, but we usually are waaay too hungry when we're passing by to wait 90 minutes to eat. Plus, we usually have a group larger than the amount that they say they can seat--at least they say they have a limit at Artie's. I also thought they didn't take reservations?