• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby, it's cold outside

snowangel

Pot-au Feu:

gallery_28832_1138_14698.jpg

When I heard about Pot-au Feu, I realized it was actually a dish that my mother made -- it was just never referred to by any specific name. The procedure of serving the broth as soup beforehand was the same. And it tasted the same, too. I generally prefer roasted meats to boiled, but this was really nice for such a cold and rainy day.

• 10 months later...

so it FINALLY seems to be winter in northwest new jersey and the cold front pushed through today with some heavy duty nw winds that dropped the temperature about 15 degrees in a hurry.

there's a smooch and a loaf of banana bread going into the oven and a chile verde simmering on top of the stove. what's cooking in your home?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Onion soup -LOTS of it, some toasted bread, and melted gruyere on top. It hits the spot.

Aquarius (Jan 21-Feb 19): Cranky. And rude and tactless. - and a perfect description of me!

"Is there alcohol in this furniture polish? Mmmmm, tastes like I might die!" Roger the Alien, "American Dad"

Just the other day it was 5 gallons of gumbo and a couple of days later, it was about the same amount of chili (ground and diced venison). The freezer is well stocked for those cold nights, although I think some steaks on the trusty old Kettle might just be in order tomorrow night! Or, perhaps a burger...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Potato and escarole soup, garnished with slices of sizzled home made chicken sausage. Baby, it really is cold outside.

More about the chicken sausage! it's protein that keeps a gal wam on these awful nights!

My husband has been making sausage since Michael Ruhlman was knee high to a grasshopper. I think this is his Creole version. I'm excited to try Michel Richard's recipe for Chix sausage which includes gelatin (melts away in cooking) to prevent chicken sausage from being either 1) dry, healthful and grainy or 2) enriched with adequate quadroped fat to be juicy and fattening.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 10 months later...

Baby, it's cold outside, and it has been snowing a lot. After an unbelievably warm fall (we had BLT's and burgers on the grill far later than is typical), we have winter. A cover of snow that looks like it could stay until the blissful days of spring. So, I've been braising, and making soup.

Here in North America, it is cold and snowy. I've got massaman curry barely burbling on the stove. What's cooking now that it's COLD. Oh, and I miss fresh homegrown tomatoes.

It's cold here too, although we don't have quite as much snow - yet. Although other parts of Ontario do.

This is the time of year I like to re-plentish my stocks. It's cold enough out that I can put the pot outside or in the garage to chill, leaving more room in my fridge for other things.

Lots of stews, braises and roasts here as well. While I can and do braise ocassionally in the summer, I braise almost constantly in the winter.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Soup, soup, soup. You're all catching up to us - it's been cold here for a few weeks now. This weekend I made a big pot of whatever was in the fridge soup. Just a couple of bowls left. I think a stew or potroast will happen soon.

But, tonight I'll brush the snow off the BBQ and grill some lamb chops to go with potato latkes. Yes, it's cold. I'll just wear a parka and mitts.

This is the time of year I like to re-plentish my stocks.  It's cold enough out that I can put the pot outside or in the garage to chill, leaving more room in my fridge for other things. 

Ah, the Outdoor Fridge!

But, tonight I'll brush the snow off the BBQ and grill some lamb chops to go with potato latkes. Yes, it's cold. I'll just wear a parka and mitts.

Pam, our grill is never out of commission, and one of the first things I do after a snowfall is get the snow off of the lid.

I'd have actually thought about grilling tonight, but it is snowning like crazy!

I'd have actually thought about grilling tonight, but it is snowning like crazy!

And? We are northerners, after all. :wink:

Grilling and snowing like crazy go hand in hand. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

And? We are northerners, after all. :wink:

Grilling and snowing like crazy go hand in hand. :biggrin:

along with drinking, i believe.

Sunday was the day i could cook so for breakfast blueberry muffins

gallery_403_5462_767899.jpg

the one image that didn't transfer was the one with the empty bottles of Piper Heidsieck Brut Divine and Chandon Blanc de Noirs.

macaroni cheese for lunch

gallery_403_5462_106656.jpg

and pizza with homemade marinara sauce and a salad for dinner

gallery_403_5462_440413.jpg

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 1 month later...

Oh, baby it's been cold outside.

Lots of braises (gotta use up that venison), but even more, I have been craving Thai curries. It was funny, the other night, we went out for dinner with friends, and since the trip took us right by my local Asian market, we stopped. I stuffed the bag of produce inside my parka, and took them into the restaurant! Getting the produce from the market to the vehicle has been a challenge, so I'm buying only as much as I can get in between me and the parka.

Apparently we're typical. Lots of soups, especially during the work week when we typically get home late. It's nice to have something easy to re-heat. Braises and roasts happen mostly on the weekend 'cause they're so good when it's cold. And Baby has it been cold--day time highs in the low 50's here on the central left coast. BRRR!

• 10 months later...

now that the hawkgawk is over and it is nudging into that time of the year when the ambient temp rarely rises above freezing (not counting wind chill but if you know what that is you also know how to dress for it).

a break to do some laundry but...

tomato gravy is simmering with some previously made and frozen meatballs poaching in the pot. the meatballs will be broken up to make the meat part of a lasagna. 2 containers of lactaid cottage cheese were drained and now are mixed with some grated hard cheeses, a beaten egg and some basil and oregano to be the "ricotta". more grated hard italian cheeses for the topping.

while the gravy and meatballs were coming up to temperature it was time to make some pudding. #1. go to the bathroom. just like making a roux, but usually less time, once you start making a pudding you can not leave it. #2. pour a flute of sparkling wine. #3. grab a book. in this case the new title "George, being George" a biography told by his friends and contemporaries and a wild, wonderful and joyous read so far. #4. about 20 minutes later it is time to temper an egg and add it to the pudding. return to heat and 2 minutes later pull off the heat to add the vanilla and butter to finish.

when the lasagna goes in the oven it will be accompanied by a blueberry streusel cake for john's snacks this week. the butter is softening now and the blueberries were frozen over the summer.

it is windy and chilly. just put the first suet and niger out for the birds - and hopefully NOT the bears.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Unfortunately, it's summer where I live so it's off to the beach for bbq in our case :(

But when it IS freezing outside, we tend to cook up a Chinese herbal (with funny roots and stuff!) chicken noodle soup. Goooood.

Anyway, I'll be staying in the US in a few weeks time and hopefully, I can capture some nice winter home cooking.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Unfortunately, it's summer where I live so it's off to the beach for bbq in our case

Well, it's -18c, snowing, the lakes are frozen over, there's already quite a bit of snow on the ground so tonight I went out on the deck and tossed some burgers on the grill. No trip to the beach though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 1 month later...

I am reminded these past few days of the winter of 1996. I remember that winter well, as I was home with two infants (each nursing on a different sked) and a toddler. It was cold then, and it is cold now. We have not seen above zero for more days than I can count.

But, the upside is many wonderful bowls of soup, and when one wants to "put up" (mean make and freeze) potstickers, they freeze on a cookie sheet on the deck almost instantly. I did that some 13 years ago, and I did it again today. Oh, and stock, in a wide pot on the deck -- let's not worry about how long it takes to chill.

Meantime, we think of languid summer days.

So, other than soup and instant freezing, what are the rest of you doing, who are reaping the rewards of the Canadian air mass doing to keep your tummies warm?

Edited by snowangel (log)