• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby, it's cold outside

snowangel

I'll be home all day tomorrow as we get dumped on here in Delaware. I need to make bread and to roast a whole chicken that is in my fridge. The leftovers of the chicken will go towards chicken stew with dumplings and the carcass will be added to the one in my freezer to make stock. I've also got some leftover cauliflower and sweet potato soup in the fridge to eat up. It is perfect with a nice big hunk of crusty bread!

• 10 months later...

what an odd day here. i am freezing inside the house(ok, maybe because i still have the creeping crud from thanksgiving)though it is about 50 degrees outside.

last night made some good mac and cheese and a squash and shallot tian.

tonight will be potato pancakes, homemade applesauce, red cabbage, spaetzle, sauerbrauten and plenty of gingered gravy.

i also have a set of a new recipe for oatmeal bread made with molasses to bake off - and a bit of thinly sliced black forest ham to heap on it - after it is spread with some butter of course.

actually i'm looking forward to having some time to make some soups and am craving chicken and sausage gumbo - though i would kill for some tasso!!!!

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Been running about to the stores: -28C outside (-18F) Finishing up a large bowl of home-made chicken noodle soup with green beans, celery, carrots, peas, barley AND egg noodles. Very comfortable now. Have a small prime roast in the oven with purple sweet potatoes in jacket. Been checking out the sweet potatoe thread for some great ideas. Think we'll be eating these with a compound butter of lime (rind and juice), chilli, fresh coriander/cilantro and coarse salt as suggested by Snadra. Thanks, Snadra! :smile:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Big pot of chili. And I mean a big one.

Smells so good and warm and comforting. And it will be nice to have it in the fridge for impromptu snacking, chili dogs, chili & eggs. Everything, really.

Nothing better on cold winter days.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Chili's a great idea, Jaymes, and I've got some leftover smoked brisket that's destined for the pot.

Made a corn and crawfish chowder. Might be the best thing I've ever made that goes in a bowl (kneejerk reaction; I get very emotional after a big against-all-odds win.) I know it's not crawfish season, or even near it, but it is hot-stuff-in-a-bowl season, you know?

Corn and Crawfish Chowder.JPG

Chili's a great idea, Jaymes, and I've got some leftover smoked brisket that's destined for the pot.

Made a corn and crawfish chowder. Might be the best thing I've ever made that goes in a bowl (kneejerk reaction; I get very emotional after a big against-all-odds win.) I know it's not crawfish season, or even near it, but it is hot-stuff-in-a-bowl season, you know?

Corn and Crawfish Chowder.JPG

That is just beautiful. Beautiful.

Did you follow a specific recipe, or just wing it? I'd love to know how you did it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Woke up to frozen hot water pipes and after realizing the wind was planning on howling all day went to the freezer to get the half a turkey from Thanksgiving. Our butcher will cut the bird in half so we don't have to cook up such a large meal. It was planned for February but this morning needed some heat in the kitchen and fast.

It's an old home with only a space heater to keep the chill out of the air in the kitchen, so in went the half turkey, still frozen sitting on an assortment of vegetables and some broth for good measure.

Pipes thawed by 3 this afternoon and the turkey was done by 4. If this cold weather keeps up I may have to start stocking the freezer with more turkeys!

I am dreaming of a nice big wood stove for Christmas :smile:

Temperatures are approaching zero (Celsius) and South of the Yangzte there's no central heating, so I really needed something to warm up with last night. I made Korean-style hotpot, with a broth of chili, gochujang, garlic and sesame oil and seeds.

DSC_0047.jpg

Beef rolls, assorted mushrooms, mustard greens, negi, potato, and napa cabbage for dipping. I let it boil until my husband and I could barely see each other through the steam (romance! hardship!); all we were missing was a bottle of soju to really kill the cold. Snow's predicted tomorrow; I'm going to have to lay in a case.

Great topic.

It is feeling like -20 with the wind today and cooking for whatever reason, is always on my mind when it gets cold out (not to mention it doesn't hurt that I am off work for 3 weeks starting today - woo hoo!).

I have some leftover smoked turkey bones/carcass in the freezer, thus far I have made smoked beans, and a smoked potato/leek soup. Any ideas on other applications for said bones?

I am looking to make a great Chili sooner than later, problem is, I have always only made ground beef chili's, but would love to try one of those Texan chili's where the meat melts apart, which I would presume you need to use 'stewing beef' for? If anyone has a recipe for one that would be appreciated.

I am looking to make a great Chili sooner than later, problem is, I have always only made ground beef chili's, but would love to try one of those Texan chili's where the meat melts apart, which I would presume you need to use 'stewing beef' for? If anyone has a recipe for one that would be appreciated.

Check out the eGullet Chili Cook Off.

OMG the sauerbraten was so good. not as good as an august one after starting in may but, hey.... ended up with extra spaetzle and gravy so bought some roast beast to shred and add to the mess - and it does look like cat vomit but tastes like heaven.

just made a gumbo with some chicken legs and italian sausage, red, green and yellow peppers, onions and garlic. really flavorful with bay, juniper, sage, oregano and a tiny bit of tarragon. the sauce, at least, if wonderful. added some frozen peas to it and have both boiled fingerling potatoes{probably for a frittata} and some brown rice for the sauce to soak into.

it is toooooo cold for down here

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Temperatures are approaching zero (Celsius) and South of the Yangzte there's no central heating, so I really needed something to warm up with last night. I made Korean-style hotpot, with a broth of chili, gochujang, garlic and sesame oil and seeds.

DSC_0047.jpg

Beef rolls, assorted mushrooms, mustard greens, negi, potato, and napa cabbage for dipping. I let it boil until my husband and I could barely see each other through the steam (romance! hardship!); all we were missing was a bottle of soju to really kill the cold. Snow's predicted tomorrow; I'm going to have to lay in a case.

How did you make your broth? A student that lived with me once make it out of some powdered mixture that she bought at the Chinese grocery store. Frankly, it was revolting. I have tried recipes from some of my Chinese cookbooks but haven't been entirely satisfied. Could you recommend a recipe or a method?

For Korean hotpot, or Chinese hotpot?

For Chinese, I'm not so sure, but the Korean one I made, I did from memory. It wasn't perfect, but once the veg and meat start to go in, they make up for any shortcomings.

I don't measure much, but if I had to guesstimate, I warmed about 1/3 cup sesame oil in the bottom of the hotpot pan. To that, I added three grated cloves of garlic, two tablespoons of Korean chili powder, two tablespoons of Korean chili paste (gochujang), a splash of soy sauce, a splash of cooking wine, and a tablespoon of sugar, along with about a quarter cup roasted and then ground sesame seeds. I heated that until the paste was bubbling and then topped it up with broth. I used chicken, because it's what I had; beef would be better. A bit of pounded ginger wouldn't go wrong in there, either.

For dipping sauce, I cut equal parts peanut butter and gochujang with a little more grated garlic and soy to thin. Non-traditional but delicious, I feel.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in the previous 8 pages (which, admitedly, I did not re-read tonight *hanging head*), but posole sure warms not only the body but the soul and the spirit when it's nasty out there.

Warm, spicy red chili broth, tender, shredded, meltingly toothsome pork shards, creamy hominy, garnishes of shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, cilantro and lime juice, what's not to like?

It restoreth the soul as they say.....and the batch I made tonight was about the best I've ever tasted. So much so, that I am looking FORWARD to leftovers again over the weekend, and I *HATE* leftovers.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Thank you so much for the recipe. It sounds incredibly delicious. I will make it soon! Yumm :raz:

Enjoy - the broth tastes even better if you include as much negi as possible in your hotpot assortment; and your beef should also have a goodly amount of fat on it, as well. My husband doesn't enjoy eating the fat- he picks it off after it's cooked, but we both agree it adds appropriate depth to the soup.

• 1 month later...

5" of snow and now the bottom is supposed to drop out of the thermometer. time for comfort food:

meatloaf

garlic mashed potatoes

sauteed zucchini with more garlic

going to try my hand at a apple and pear crumble with some blue cheese

husband's work party tomorrow

sunday i'm going to roast a pheasant for dinner then use the carcass to make stock.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Pork spareribs slow-cooked with Bavarian-style sauerkraut and apples. And served with a nice helping of fluffy white mashed potatoes alongside.

Ahhhh.....

:rolleyes: