• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby, it's cold outside

snowangel

It is 46 and I am putting on my woolies. :biggrin: I have to admit that I am a cold weather wimp. What can I say. I was raised in the Gulf Coast. Susan, you should know about the frostbite demon. :raz: I still have a scar on my hand from an unintentional contact with a cooling coil in a blast freezer maybe 30 years ago. I really can't relate to having the whole landscape a blast freezer, even though I did spend Christmas in Chicago. I am really interested in smoking in the cold. My son, in Chicago, is interested. If you don't "carnita", please report.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 2 weeks later...

'Tis a balmy 20 here today, and breezy, so I'm smoking a couple of butts. Filled the rest of the grill with chicken thighs. I'm starting to smell really good.

Only had to come in and warm hands once as I got the grill cleaned and things going.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Another cold wave slipped though today. Yesterday morning it was 11 degrees, this morning it was 5 degrees.

Well, last night I wanted something warm and light, so I made a beer and cheese soup. I started with three links of habanero chicken sausage (someone gave me a bunch of this free, I would never actually buy sausage made from a chicken, but I figured a soup would be a good use), which I browned with an onion,and seven or eight cloves of garlic. I added some herbs and spices, oregano, savory, bay leaf, crushed red pepper, salt, black pepper, thyme, carraway seed, and sage. Then went in a can of beef stock, a bottle of beer, and a can of chopped pickled jalepenos. I let the whole thing simmer for a while, then stirred in about a cup of shredded cheddar.

Overall nice and tasty, warm, hint of spice from the crushed red pepper, which also made it filling.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

you know it's about 0 degrees when you go outside and the nose hairs freeze :wacko:. actually the max/min thermometer had -2 for an ambient overnight.

after the gym i came home and have done the following:

pumpkin raisin tea cake

doped pecan tea cake

a big pot of "queen of chilis" from the stern's real american food for dinner

tomorrow night. probably a 4 way

baked chicken nuggets

and i'm all prepped for tonight's dinner

john's flight landed at 1:43. there's an accident on route 80 near the mall. i figure i've got about 20 minutes before he walks in the door... :wub:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...

After almost 2 weeks of nice weather, it's back down to -18 C now. We will definately dip to at least -23 tonight . My key won't go into the lock in the front door because it's frozen. Just a coupld of days ago we bbq'd dinner.

I'm thinking of making some sort or braise of soup with chicken and lentils.

What else are people cooking to warm up with?

Edited by Pam R (log)

On my way home from yoga tomorrow, need to nip to the market to get medicine for Heidi, so will also get some chicken thighs so I can participate in the braising seminar. Once I've got that going, think it's time for gumbo!

Yes, we bbq'ed not long ago. It is cold, nasty, biting windy outside right now. It's that teasing time of year, no? Time to dream of cabins, Winnipeg Folk Fests, shorts and gardening.

Yes, we bbq'ed not long ago.  It is cold, nasty, biting windy outside right now.  It's that teasing time of year, no?  Time to dream of cabins, Winnipeg Folk Fests, shorts and gardening.

Teasing?? I woke up and it's -27 here (I don't know what that is in ferenheit, but I know they equal at -40, so it's cold!!)

Now I'm not just thinking about a braise or a soup, I KNOW that tomorrow night will be what my family refers to as Lotza Matzo Soup. Big pot of chicken soup with lots of dill, chunks of chicken, carrots, celery, parsnips, rice, egg noodles and matzo balls - if I remember to bring home some meat kreplach from work I'll throw those in too.

It's been 2 years since we've had summer here - if we don't get some nice weather this year, we're all moving south... and it'll be the Twin Cities Folk Fest :smile:

The temps ARE dropping again here in central PA. I am thinking yellow pea soup with salt pork and a splash of balsamic on top And several batches of stock to freeze for use throughout the year. But I also believe in the path of least resistance. In my drafty old farmhouse, if it is cold outside it is pretty chilly inside. I have a nice marble slab under a particularly drafty window in the kitchen. On a day when I am particularly cranky about the cold, it is the perfect time to make the year's supply of puff pastry (usually 10 to 12#). For one day I can appreciate that my kitchen is cold and use it to my advantage.

We go sub-zero (F) tonight. Tomorrow I gumbo and pretend that I am down south where the living is green, not white.

Edited to add: I crave spicy food when it is cold outside. (And, when it is hot outside)

Edited by snowangel (log)

We go sub-zero (F) tonight.  Tomorrow I gumbo and pretend that I am down south where the living is green, not white.

Susan, I just can't imagine it that cold. Of course I'm not trying real hard to imagine, either. :biggrin: The photo you posted of the snow was beautiful, by the way.

You have an open invitation to visit us down here, pretend or real!

Good luck with your gumbo.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

steady nw wind here with temps topping out about 25F.

there are a cinnamon strusel coffee cake and a blackberry kucken in the oven right now.

a head of garlic, two meatloaves and 4 potatoes are ready to start baking for dinner and leftovers.

john is due back anytime now and the kucken should be ready for him to eat when he gets in the door.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The temperature seems to be dropping steadily and it's damn cold out there... but, the kitchen smells like heaven with beef short ribs braising in the oven. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Unfortunately we won't be enjoying these until tomorrow, nevertheless, the aromas are a great comfort right now.

(edited to correct mistakes made by frozen fingers :wink: )

Edited by gourmande (log)

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

After hitting highs in the 60s throughout this past week, we are back to sub-freezing temps in the mid-atlantic again. Temps have been yo-yoing out of control lately, probably why we have had around 20 to 30 kids out sick each day over the past two weeks (and in a school of 175 kids, that is a lot).

I am really craving offal and something deep fried, so I think I am going to deep fry some chicken livers this weekend.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 3 weeks later...

We've just had a couple of beautiful days here... it was +4 C this weekend. Today, a blizzard hit and visibility is less than 100 meters.

So, I'm throwing open the garage door and bbq'ing some rib steak. Screw the weather!

the snow seems to be over... the wind is really beginning to pick up and i am getting ready to go out and shovel at least the driveway.

made two soups to freeze so john and i can take some for dinner the next two days and the rest is frozen so we have it and john can take some for his mom:

smoky black bean soup and winter squash and apple soup

smooch(macaroni, crushed tomato, ground buffalo, onions and peppers)

jalapeno corn bread

andouille and chicken gumbo - for lunch at work tomorrow, along with some

white rice and chives

chocolate cinnamon cake - for john and i to take to work and share

banana nut tea cake for john's munchies

boy so i love my day off when it snows - keep warm all

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 10 months later...

10 months later....

and the polar express has hit northwest new jersey so after 2 hours of shoveling and spreading seed for the birds

this morning started roasting turkey necks, chicken rib cages and capon bones with aromatics to make a rich turkey stock(got them turkey necks for 1.35 for 3 lbs). still haven't decided what to make with the stock - possibly some risotto...

right now have a macaroni cheese in the oven for my dinner. along with some garlic broccoli

johnnybird is in poughkeepsie for a family event and won't be home till tomorrow so i think i will make some banana bread for a welcome home snack.

i do have a yen to make some cuban black bean soup, though.......

anyone else inspired by the colder weather?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I've been making lots of bean soups, chili, beef & barley soup. Last night I cooked pork shoulder in the Crockpot with a bottle of Don Shula's BBQ sauce; will make coleslaw tonight for pulled pork sandwiches.

I was looking forward to winter cooking a few months ago, but now I'm ready for a really good tomato and some bacon!

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

we've been having up and down weather - and an ice storm supposed to turn to rain later today.

took the stock i made sunday and after freezing a bit, made a vegetable soup for dinner. will make some cheddar biscuits to go with the soup and have a set of portugese sweet bread risisng to bake off tomorrow morning so john can have some warm bread for breakfast topped with toast dope...

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

a set of portugese sweet bread risisng to bake off tomorrow morning so john can have some warm bread for breakfast topped with toast dope...

Please, what is toast dope? I remember reading about it on here awhile back, but I couldn't find the thread...

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

a set of portugese sweet bread risisng to bake off tomorrow morning so john can have some warm bread for breakfast topped with toast dope...

Please, what is toast dope? I remember reading about it on here awhile back, but I couldn't find the thread...

here you go basilgirl, susan in fl's homage to the dope:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=36283&hl=dope

p.s. love your sig line - got a plaque with that saying for my 10th anniversary at work

:smile:

n.b. and here i thought you were going to ask about my portugese sweet bread!

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites